Abbreviated as HW, Hardware is best described as a device that is physically connected to your computer or something that can be physically touched. Most hardware will contain a circuit board, ICs, and other electronics. A perfect example of hardware is a computer monitor, which is an output device that lets you see what you're doing on the computer. Without any hardware, your computer would not exist, and software would not be able to run.
In the picture shown on this page, is a computer Logitech webcam and an example of an external hardware peripheral. This hardware device allows users to make videos or pictures and transmit them over the Internet.
External hardware examples
Internal hardware examples
What are hardware upgrades?
A hardware upgrade is any new hardware that replaces or adds to old hardware in the computer. A good example of a common hardware upgrade is a RAM upgrade, where the user is increasing the computers total memory, which will increase its overall speed and efficiency. Another good example is doing a video card upgrade, which is the act of removing the old video card and replacing it with a new video card that is much more capable than the previously installed video card, again increasing the capabilities of the computer.
- How to install and add hardware to the computer.
- How do I remove hardware from the computer?
- How to dispose of computer hardware.
- What are the differences between hardware and software?
- How can I test for hardware failures in my computer?
- All computer hardware questions and answers.
- Full listing of computer hardware devices, support, and help.