How to test a computer CD-ROM and DVD drive for failures
Note: Before following any of the steps below, make sure multiple discs do not work in the drive. If only one CD or DVD is causing problems, it's an issue with the disc itself and not the drive.
A bad disc drive can cause an assortment of different issues on your computer. Below are just a few of the possible issues you may encounter. It is important to remember that the issues described below can also be caused by more than just a bad disc drive.
- Error when reading CD or DVD.
- CDs or DVDs may not play audio or video properly.
- CD or DVD programs may not install or encounter errors after being installed.
There are different ways to test your computer's disc drive and determine if it's bad or has flaws that are causing issues with your computer. Below is a listing of these recommendations.
Software and Hardware solutions
CD and DVD disc drives can sometimes get dusty and dirty inside, causing problems with reading discs. You can use a CD/DVD Drive Cleaner kit to help clean the disc drive, which can be purchased at many office supply stores and electronics stores.
Below is a listing of software programs available that are designed to test your computer's CD and DVD disc drives and discs.
- CDRoller - Great program that is used to test and, if needed, recover data from CDs and DVDs.
- CDCheck - Another great program used to help check CD drives (no DVD compatibility) and can also be used to help recover data from damaged discs.
In addition to the above solutions, there are other fantastic 100% commercial products. Below is one of these products.
- CD/DVD Diagnostic - Diagnostic program from InfinaDyne that is not only capable of testing a drive and disc, but also can recover some or all data from discs that may be bad.
Replace the disc drive
If the disc drive still appears to be bad after trying the above suggestions, we suggest replacing it.