For example, if you had a table similar to the example below, that data would be converted to the CSV data shown below the table.
As can be seen in the above example, each row is a new line, and each column is separated with a comma. Many online services such as an online bank allow its users to export tabular data from the website into a CSV file. These files can then be opened and viewed offline using a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel.
Why are CSV files used?
There are two primary reasons CSV files are used online.
- CSV files are plain-text files, which makes them easy for the website developer to create.
- Because the CSV is plain-text it makes the data easy to import into any spreadsheet program or database regardless of what type of computer or software program you are using.
- How to create a CSV file.
- How to open a CSV file in Excel.
- How to change a tab delimited text file to a CSV file.