Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario V3000 V3700 V3905TU (I don't know what it is.) driver missing.  (Read 13110 times)

patarapolw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

It's a notebook.
    It says besides the webcam "Presario V3000"
    On the underside of the notebook it says:-
    Product: Compaq Presario V3700
    V3905TU
    For "System Information", it says V3700.

I have tried loading drivers for hp website for:-
    Compaq Presario V3000 CTO notebook PC
    Compaq Presario V3700 series notebook PC
    Compaq Presario V3905TU notebook PC

But most drivers just doesn't work -- for instance, sound drivers
    In this case, I've found sound driver from Windows Update - so I can play sounds now.

I have tried DriverAgent and Driver Max too.
    DriverAgent doesn't tell me anything I can use to download the driver myself.
    Driver Max let me download only one driver by now. It seems not to download the second one yet for me. Probably, I have to wait 12 hours? It doesn't help me with missing drivers yet.

The drivers I am missing right now is:-
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

And standby mode and earphone channel does not seem to work. (I really need the earphone.)

Everything works well on my Kubuntu 10.04, for comparison.

Forgot to say, this is Windows XP.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Laptop drivers should ALWAYS be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer

patarapolw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Laptop drivers should ALWAYS be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer
      At least, for sound and VGA drivers, I had a problem regarding installation - couldn't find device.
      No matter I tried for V3000 V3700, or V3905TU.

Indeed from manufacturer's website.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      It sounds as though you just reinstalled the OS - is that correct? If so, you need to download and install the CHIPSET driver first. Then you can install the other drivers. Again, do not get them from Windows Update - get ALL drivers from the HP website.

patarapolw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Now, I try autodetection on Intel website - I think this is the way to find driver for chipset if I can't find one on hp website. (auto-detection on hp website doesn't work on my computer.)

Intel website says that
        Audio Driver for Intel® Desktop Board

Product Detected   
        Current Driver Installed   
        This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>

and

Wired Networking

Product Detected   
        Current Driver Installed   
        This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>

Perhap, somehow I could revert drivers to when I first installed the OS, so I could install these two?

And for now I also want to fix the earphone socket:- it isn't worked out yet.

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
          • Tricks Guide
        • Experience: Beginner
        Hi,

One thought :)

Could you provide me the Device Id of the unknown device in device manager (SM Bus Controller, Video Controller)? I think your laptop was designed/preinstalled with Windows Vista/7. That is why many of the XP drivers are unavailable on hp.com. So need to manually check the device Ids and see whether we can find it

SMBUS controller is basically the chipset driver.

Also check what is the product number of the Laptop. It will be on the Laptop itself. this will confirm you whether the laptop is Compaq Presario V3000 V3700 or V3905TU. The Product number will be near to the serial number of laptop. It may be written as PN or P/N: etc.

Regards

Sykes
        Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

patarapolw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

There is a sticker on the underside of the notebook.

Product: Compaq Presario V3700
          s/n: 2CE8292GKS
          p/n: FF444PA#AKL

V3905TU
          Warranty: 1 year

Indeed, if you look in Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Information
          it says: Presario V3700 notebook PC

There isn't any driver for Presario V3700 on hp website directly, but there is for V3700 CTO if I remembered correctly. And V3905TU is in V3900 section.

You are right. Most drivers are in Windows Vista including chipset, but this notebook, no matter when, doesn't use Vista. At first bought, it had been downgraded to XP (and I think then, the driver is at least almost complete. -- the shop did everything for me.) Can I use the Vista drivers?

About the chipset driver and VGA.
          I got the SMBus from DriverMax and I couldn't tell if it is working correctly or not.
          I got the VGA from Intel and it works, but it won't show the volume meter when I used QuickLaunch button for volume adjustment (but it still works). Guess I'll have to download one from hp website.

About the device ID of SMBus, I couldn't tell what it is after I successfully installed the driver. I moved from Unknown Device to somewhere I don't know.
          I did search the device ID, but I couldn't remember what I did next. Probably went to Intel website?

Now, there is one more issue (besides the earphone stuff). How do I make battery meter appear on the taskbar? (Show percentage or time remaining) I successfully installed HP battery check and the program works.

---
          Thanks Allan and Sykes a lot for help. This is the first time I've been in the driver *censored*.