Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics troubles  (Read 15812 times)

VoidAngel

Graphics troubles
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »
OK!  So I've been puttering along with my nifty ATI Radeon 7200, and it's been working swell.  But as of today, I can't run any games that I own which require hardware acceleration.  It tells me the "D3D8.dll file is linked to missing export DDraw.dll:UnlockCB"  I also get another error popup that tells me a device attached to the system is not functioning.  

I'm running Windows 98SE, and I hadn't messed with any of my settings, nor had I installed anything new (software or hardware).  However, attempting to test DirectDraw or Direct3d hardware acceleration crashes dxdiag to the desktop.  Software accelleration still works, as does my 1024x768 video mode.  

I already tried uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling them (though I can't use the most updated driver versions due to DirectX9 compatibility issues with my card and OS).  So, you guys know anything I can do about this, or did my card just go belly up?

VoidAngel

Re: Graphics troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:35:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I also reinstalled Windows.  Again....

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 06:05:40 AM »
Did you simply overwrite your current Windows?

You said 'Again'. You do understand that if you keep overwriting Windows, you'll eventually clog up your hard disk and errors will occur?

VoidAngel

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:05:37 AM »
Yeah, I had to wipe my drive last time I had problems with my ATI.  Not because I was overwriting windows, but because the frigging driver uninstall program they gave me ripped out something I really needed.  Something ending in one of those "never screw with me" extensions (I forget which one), and having something to do with memory detection/allocation.  I'm not sure what it was, but...  have you ever seen Windows try to boot on 512kb of ram?  I think it was using my motherboard cache...

Anyway, I overwrote it that time, but eventually lost my temper when the frigging ati drivers kept on reverting to a version incompatible with DirectX9.  So I went to my windows directory and ripped out every file that wasn't delete protected at the time.    ;)  I figured, hey, I'm gonna install windows again anyway, so maybe I'll get the frigging registry files or whatever that are causing this.  Any of you Windows experts out there have hives yet?  So I hadda reformat my hard drive, and as a result, my Windows installation is pretty fresh.

VoidAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:19:58 PM »
So, uh, anybody have an Idea if I can get past this with a software fix?

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 05:40:19 AM »
I hope you have good backups of your data...

In BIOS, make sure you have the memory aperture set for at least the amount of RAM on your video card and the PCI/AGP setting to the right card. Insure that any MB embedded video is disabled.

Boot to a Windows 98SE EBD floppy, and format your C: partition with options Full and Copy system files, and name the partition (I always use WIN98SYS, you can use whatever you want).

Put your Win98SE CDROM in the CD drive and run setup /ie /iv. Use custom install and put ALL accessories in, don't use the lame 'typical' install that leaves off all your hard drive and communications tools. Run the setup in Plus98 as well to install Plus, and the setup in Win98RK in Tools to install the Resource Kit.

Finally, install your latest version (or the CD if you don't have downloaded version) of your video card drivers and utilities, your mainboard utilities, and your soundcard drivers.

Set your video to 800 by 600 (or better) and 16 bit colour (or better). Then run the Windows Security Update disk, or install your Internet connection and use WindowsUpdate (be ready to download about 150 Meg) to obtain your latest DirectX, .NET, IE, and security updates.

Install your favourite browser and restore its email backups. Install your Internet connection and antivirus utility (or go to www.grisoft.com and get AVG 6 Free Edition) and your firewall and spyware killers. Finally, install your office suite and other applications...

If you still have trouble, contact ATI and find out how to get your video card to set up right.

VoidAngel

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
In other words, burn it to the ground and start over.   :-[

Oh well.  You only live once!

VoidAngel

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:19:03 AM »
Then again, living's not always everything it's cracked up to be...  Uh, I can't get my supposedly plug-n-play network driver to install.  First, it didn't, and doesn't autodetect when I restart the computer, even after I remove it, pull it out of the motherboard, restart, search for hardware, then try to reinstall.  
I can get the drivers to install, after a fashion.  See, I can get the drivers installed, by adding it in manually.  Then, the device is disabled when I restart (Code22).  So I enable it, which prompts another restart.  At which point it tells me it couldn't install the drivers... It's Moebius time!  Oh, and when I first manually install the card, the install wizard jumps around, eventually telling me that the device I've selected is plug-n-play, asking me for my Windows CD, then claiming that it's installed the software required for me to use the device.  I'm going in-CRAZY-sane over here!  I didn't have these problems the last two times I reformatted...

PS:  I did forget, and click on Internet Explorer's desktop icon before I set up (in a manner of speaking) the network card.  It went through the connection setup wizard, and hasn't done that since, but I don't know if that matters.  Any help would be appreciated.  I swear, my PC is cursed...

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 04:38:54 AM »
here's something for you:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=2588722

It might not apply to you, but his PC has had the same problem.

VoidAngel

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 01:39:02 PM »
Well, I think I may have fixed that particular difficulty.  Problem is, I can't get my network card to work now!  (see above)  I need some way to get off this installation merry-go-round!

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 03:02:40 PM »
Is your network card enabled in the BIOS? Did you install the proper drivers? Are there no conflicts with other hardware?

VoidAngel

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »
No conflicts I'm aware of.  I downloaded the current drivers directly from Linksys.  I'll have to check my BIOS...  Lemme get back to you...

VoidAngel

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 09:08:52 PM »
Bah, no dice.  I don't see anything in my BIOS that says "network card,' or anything, but all my DMA channels and my IRQ settings have "PnP" enabled.  I just can't get the card to -actually- plug n' play...

I'm gonna go reset my BIOS and wipe my hard drive again...  Maybe I confused the evil little thing somehow.  I'll let you know how it turns out, but just assume it won't work...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 09:09:54 PM by VoidAngel »

VoidAngel

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 07:48:07 AM »
Blast it!  I can't format my hard drive now!  It says it's unable to retrieve the allocation number, and aborts the format.  So Windows still loads and all, but I can't wipe my hard drive.  What the heck?

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 10:17:29 AM »
I am clueless. Either get a professional to work on that insane asylum of yours or wait for the others to see what they have to say.

Is your computer still under warranty? Assuming you bought it and not assembled it yourself.