Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D-link 615 d2 router monitoring?  (Read 14369 times)

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

D-link 615 d2 router monitoring?
    « on: December 10, 2010, 05:17:37 AM »
    Hey  guys, i currently allow a housemate to access my internet through my router, all connections are wired and have wireless turned off. I would like to know what sites are being visited by my housemate to make sure i don't get in mither with my SP ect because of misuse. The logs provided by accessing my router through my browser do not show the IPs or sites visited only basic system/security/status info. There are check boxes in the log settings to display critical/warnng/INFORMATION but these are greyed out and i cannot enable these to display this information in my log files, so i cannot view the information i need that way.
    I read a little about flashing my router with DD-WRT as this will open up my router with more options than it currently has with the factory firmware and would doing this allow me to achieve what i am trying to do anyway?
    Seems a bit hit and miss for just seeing what my hardware is being used to access.
    Are there any programs [freeware] that after i install on my machine will let me see what sites my house mate accesses through my router?

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: D-link 615 d2 router monitoring?
      « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:13:53 AM »
      No ideas guys?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
      Does your ISP actually have some restrictions regarding the browsing of certain types of websites?  That seems unusual to me.

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
        As far as i know my isp has no restrictions with visiting web sites as i have never found a site that has been restricted, i will give them a call tomorrow to confirm this though.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
        Home routers don't keep logs of the type of information you are seeking.  Only the computer does & it's not your computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »
        I don't know about the DIR-615, but my DIR-655 quite literally allows me to enabled website logging- so I can see exactly what URLs selected computers have gone too.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »
          I don't know about the DIR-615, but my DIR-655 quite literally allows me to enabled website logging- so I can see exactly what URLs selected computers have gone too.
          Yes i was sure that this was or should be a simple thing to do, as long as you are the router admin.
          BC_Programmer, was this something that your router does as standard, you didnt have to install some third party firmware, it was just available through your routers homepage[options] from the off ?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
          I stand corrected.  My Linksys BEFSR-41 has logging capability.  It has to be enabled because by default, it's off.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
            Ok, been on the phone to my ISP and after various conversations with different departments they concluded by saying that with my router the log settings cannot be changed to log the IP addresses of sites visited as that is not a feature of the router, it was manufactured that way, they cannot even enable this feature, blah blah ect ect.....
            Right, will start a new thread as my next qeustion would be simply
            "Will flashing my router with a third party firmware DD-WRT allow me to log sites visited through my router"

Thanks guys.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
            Mine came with the feature; I can't even install DD-WRT if I wanted too; but it appears that most of the features it would add I already have anyway.

I accessed if by Choosing "Advanced" in the horizontal (upper) toolbar, and then selecting "Access Control" from the left- shown here:

At that point I simply select "add Policy" (as I did here for the "loger" entry)

at which point it takes me through the steps of which machines to log activity for, how to handle it (deny access and log for certain sites, any sites, etc, or allow and log access to any URL.)

Again, I don't know if this is on the DIR-615, but it's on my 655.

as for DD-WRT, one of my internet buddies was singing the praises of it some time ago, seemed to even express pity that I could run it, even though I had no intention of doing so (since I didn't need any of the features). As with any firmware flashing type of thing, it's always a good idea to proceed with caution, however.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Sid

Apprentice
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
              You could use something like OpenDNS to achive what your after.

bigdaz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
                My router hasnt the options of yours BC_Programmer,  the log settings mine has that might make my logs a little more detailed are greyed out as you can see.
                You can see i have none of the options your router has under the advanced tab niether, crazy seen as how it has four lan connections and therefore could be routing data to/from four seperate PCs with no way of logging addresses of where data is being sent to/from, madness.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]