Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway One GZ7220 is messed up.  (Read 6037 times)

forkster187

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Gateway One GZ7220 is messed up.
    « on: January 22, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
    Me and my family have had this PC for a couple years, but  a couple months ago, the screen started messing up really bad  :-[. Basically when it starts up, it looks like The Matrix is on top of the screen and everything else is distorted. Sometimes it the computer crashes before it gets to the log in screen, sometimes not. It pretty much only works if you put it into safe mode but even then, everything still looks horrible  :'(. Since that started happening, we got a new PC  :D, but I still never figured out what's wrong with it. We'd like to figure out and see what options there are for getting it fixed and what not. I posted a video of the start-up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeofCVzdiSQ Please help  ;D!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gateway One GZ7220 is messed up.
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »
    Graphics card or onboard graphics or video memory are bad.  Could also be a bad monitor, try the monitor on another computer.

forkster187

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
      Graphics card or onboard graphics or video memory are bad.  Could also be a bad monitor, try the monitor on another computer.

The computer is an all-in-one unit, so I don't know if or how I could check another monitor. I suspect the graphics card but my knowledge of computer hardware is limited...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
      http://support.gateway.com/s/ONE/1014809R/1014809Rnv.shtml
      Video:  ATI Radeon HD 2600XT Pro 256 MB video card; Not user replaceable
      Item C:  http://support.gateway.com/s/ONE/3507136R/3507136Riv.shtml

AWeapons

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
        Fork..when the situation you'd mentioned happens..it's either 2 problems..1) the video card itself is going bad..or 2) the mobo is going bad..it has NOTHING to do with any VGA's or any other crap..now it could be possible that you've installed the wrong driver for your card..(e.g. NOT installing the Mobility driver..see?? the radeon that the GZ7220 has is the laptop version of it)..so if you just install the PCIe 2600XT version of the driver..it MAY give you some problems..but the problem that you've described can be basically 2 things..the card..or the mobo..but listen..on a sadder note..i happen to have the GZ7220 as well..(as a matter of fact..i have 2 of them)..(don't ask)..(laughing)..anyhows..i was trying to raid the HDD's using bios..& i erased BOTH HDD's..now i have to use the Vista installation..I HATE IT!! so i'm asking of you a HUGE favor..i need to either 1) borrow your HDD so i can clone it..(Gateway's factory set always has a recovery partition)..2) if you've made a backup to your system..or a factory restore disk..(or a spare HDD with this system in it)..or 3) i'll buy your computer..please hit me back when you get time..(or even if you ever stop by here)..(laughing)..thank you in advance..Peace..& God bless you & yours..

A-Weapons..South Bronx, NYC..

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
        This thread is 8 months old!  I don't he's going to answer you.

AWeapons

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
          to Commando:

well?? YOU answered..so there might be a chance that HE may answer..who knows..he may actually want to part with his PC..so i have to give it the old "college try"..(laughing)..& you know what?? i've been everywhere looking for my PC..(or a factory recovery for my PC)..& the ONLY place where no one answered me just because they wanted to see what they wrote on the internet was "MajorGeeks.com"..that was the only place where people have actually "been in the trenches" & not reading off The Holy Scriptures from Google Chapter 5 Verse 10..from TechSupport.com, to THIS site, & to Crucial, then to like 5 other sites..i always get "internet" jedi masters who actually have done nothing as far as fixing anything..they look at your problem..HALF-WAY translate accurately what you've posted..run on to Google..& then spew back what they've read..to me..that's NOT you, or anyone else, helping..i had the hardest time raiding my Gateway GM5688E..(i could do it with a Vista disk..but not with the Gateway restore disk)..so i installed the sytstem on a spare HDD in AHCI mode..(AMD's RAID & ACHI drivers are identical)..& then i switched from AHCI to RAID in BIOS..went into windows..& cloned my HDD from the spare to my raid array..IT WORKED!! & you know what?? i did it myself..no reading Google..it took me 1 1/2 months to do this..the only problem that i currently have with my GZ7220 is that i don't have a factory disk..& i can't recover my recovery because i reinstalled regular Windows & i formatted the HDD's before i reinstalled..i found bits & pieces of my old system..but no recovery..SEE!!?? this is what i mean by "being in the trenches"..BackLogic from MajorGeeks is one of the 2 people who advised me to use Partition Wizard..i saw my old files..but since i didn't see the recovery drive..i couldn't return my PC to factory install..i have an UPDATE though...i recently bought a ZX190..(it's the GZ7220's twin as far as drivers & software)..he said that the HDD crashed..so all that i have to do is see the recovery on it..then i can copy it to 1-2 DVD's..from there i can return my 2 GZ7220's to factory install..from there..i can take my GZ7220 that i'm going to keep..& raid it in windows..(like i was supposed to do in the first place)..(laughing)..The Gateway One's have Intel drivers..so you can use the Intel Matrix to raid it..so Commando..i've spent approximately 400 bucks for this..(i also bought an almost brand new GZ7112..it has most of the drivers that my PC has expect for 2 things..the video driver..& the Anti Virus program)..i bought that one just in case the ZX190 can't be recovered..so now you understand why i came on to this forum..if dude would've answered..or if someone could've helped me..then i would have been able NOT to have spent all this money..(laughing)..so even though i no longer need help on this forum..i wanted to answer you..& to demonstrate to you who's REALLY the "GURU"..& what site people who need help SHOULD go to for it..(smile)..Peace..& God bless you & yours..

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
          You're Refund check is in the mail...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
          to Commando:
          well?? YOU answered...
          Someone with only 2 posts is not coming back.  I answered it 8 months ago.  Only noticed it because any posts one replies to gets flagged.

If you came here for assistance, start your own thread.  That's the rules, I don't make them.  FWIW, keep your questions short & to the point; no one, including me, is going to read your novel, which sounds more like a rant.

You will find more real experts on ComputerHope than any other forum.  If you want to establish yourself as an expert on this website, you're not off to a good start.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »

Even his user name says "jerk". Good riddance.