Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web Thumbnailer - Not enough storage is available to process command  (Read 3583 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Anyone know of a way to find out where the flaw is in this software. After a short while it complains with error message of "Not enough storage is available to process this command", yet I have 40GB of 160GB HD FREE, and my available Ram is hovering at 500MB of 1GB, running Windows XP Home SP3 on Dual Core Atom CPU on my netbook.

I have tried to contact the programmer to ask about what could cause this, given he was the one who put the error message in his program, but its been about a month of repeated e-mails out to him and no response, and the website is dated 2007 so he might not be managing it anymore.

Only way to reset this error is to reboot windows. If you exit the program and then restart the program it complains immediately with the same error. ( So I am thinking its a Cache Issue - overflow maybe, in how it uses IE's engine to navigate to web pages and then save them as images for archiving web pages just as they can be viewed but flattened in an image with no further functionality.)

Perfect for archiving sites with text that you want to look back at such as articles etc, but can be used for just about any purpose to snapshot webpages for reference as jpgs or bmps.

http://www.priyatna.org/webthumbnailer.php

Is there a way to see if a buffer is full in cache? Such as a buffer that IE would be using, where I am expecting to find the issue? Is there a way to reset all Cache without having to reboot the computer to reset a buffer that may have overflowed?

For now its set it and when it crashes, look at the data captured and remove from the list that of which processed correctly, save the list as text file, reboot windows, copy/paste the list of URLs and then run it again until it crashes and then repeat. Eventually i will have everything I want to capture.

*Also to note it doesnt always crash after say 20 pages captured. It seems random in how much is captured before it bales out with that error, and only reset is system reset to get it to run further. If it crashed always after so many pages etc then that would be a nice indicator of where to look for the flaw in which maybe I can band-aid this issue by another program that would clear the buffer etc after so many minutes etc. Although it can be hairy with resetting a buffer that is in current use by the app and maybe this is not repairable... Its too bad his Delphi source is not available to look at the source and pick away at it for potential or known flaws in the code.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Web Thumbnailer - Not enough storage is available to process command
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:38:20 AM »
Anyone know of a way to find out where the flaw is in this software.
Easy. He isn't using the WebBrowser Control correctly.

I have tried to contact the programmer to ask about what could cause this, given he was the one who put the error message in his program
Except, he's not. The Error Is From Internet Explorer; the error cascades back to the application and causes it to crash. IE stays running because it  "handled" the error (by sending it back to the application) Empty IE's cache; or, increase the allocated size of the cache. The Error itself is a Standard Windows Error (code 8).

Normally, the cache is purged to make room for new entries, but the program makes IE throw new stuff onto the cache so fast that the cache algorithm can't find anything it feels it can safely discard (they are using the Web Browser control, which is designed to be used by a Human, not necessarily controlled by the program, so obviously it's not exactly designed for the case where pages are fetched constantly and fill the cache). By default the cache is 50MB; you can increase this by using Internet Explorer's "Internet Options" dialog, General Tab; "Settings" for "Browsing History" and increasing the "temporary Internet Files" size.

you likely get the crash when you start the program up again because Internet Explorer is an Out of Process component; that is, the program itself is using a separate iexplore.exe to work with the web pages, when the application crashes, that executable is now orphaned, but the program "reconnects" to it so to speak when you start it again, creates the control, which subsequently crashes while trying to store data in the cache. End the iexplore process and you should be able to "restart" the application without problems.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »
Thanks BC ... When I stopped the program before it crashed, then went into IE to adjust the settings it greeted me with the fact that the space was already over its size limit and it wanted to adjust itself to 1024MB

Going to save new settings and restart application and see if this did the trick...it sure looks like this was the cause. MANY MANY THANKS to sharing with me the likely cause and being extremely knowledgeable with IE and the way this programmer was passing the URLs to the browser!!!  8)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:46 AM »
That definately fixed it...before it would crash frequently and its chugging away without errors now...at least not until I exceed 1024MB..lol

Thanks BC for solving this for me... I should have posted this issue a few weeks back!    8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:26:14 AM »
Cool, good news... just don't go trying to make pictures of thousands upon thousands webpages in one go and you should be fine  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.