Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!!comp won't boot after i download SP2  (Read 2298 times)

zaqualung

HELP!!!comp won't boot after i download SP2
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
Everything was working fine. no viruses. nothing. loaded all the automatic updates over the last couple of days. was still running smoothly. 17 possibly more updates. everything was fine.
UNTIL i loaded the actual SP2 download.
The download and install appeared to complete correctly. I was prompted with a "reboot for the install to become effective" type message, and a message from my online firewall software that microsoft was trying to contact theInternet.
I rebooted, figuring that i would get that prompt again, if it was something that the install need to do, Post-Install.

The Comp keeps trying to boot up. Gateway screen appears, then the load up screen for XP. But then, each time, it simply switches off and on again. I can hear the hard drive trying to boot up. But it can't:
Is this common?
Is there an easy fix?
(Note: Some time ago, i was working to fix my machine with a Gateway engineer and he told me to try
chkdsk, fixmbr and fixboot
in some order or other?
Would it likely do any harm to try any or all of these, if i boot up from my gateway install disks???
Does SP2 tend to mess with the Master Boot record or Master Boot?
I'm a little worried because in previous installation/recovery attempts, i've gotten messages about the mbr becoming unstable or something.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:02:25 AM by zaqualung »

Raptor

Re: HELP!!!comp won't boot after i download SP2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:38:04 AM »
You are using an illegal version of Windows XP.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:02:54 AM »
Try - chkdsk /r - then - fixboot - from the recovery console and see if that does it.

Have you got an XP CD with SP2?

Are you using Home or Pro?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:30:21 PM »
hold down the f8 key on boot chose safe mode option and then go to the control panel/click add/remove icon and uninstall sp2..........it may have been a bad download........contact msoft for the sp2 disk.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 02:47:16 AM »
I would re-install. Some of the updates you have had will  probably have updated SP2 files.

So SP2 should have been applied first.

Slipstream your XP CD with SP2 so that you have a CD which you can use for SFC /SCANNOW

Rumour has it that SP3 is coming out soon.