Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Powers on for a half second then nothing... Help Appreciated!!!  (Read 2374 times)

keithinth

My computer powers on for half a second then nothing except the power light on the case flashes. It is a home built PC. Before anyone assumes building error let me say that the machine ran for a year or more before this problem developed. Also, the power supply can definitely be ruled out as a cause of the problem. I bought a brand new power supply that is plenty large enough to run the machine. Now for the technical information. The motherboard is an MSI K9VGM-V board. It has an AMD Dual core processor and 2 GB of DDRII RAM. I also have a Radeon video card on board. I have tried disconnecting everything but the video card and starting up with the same result so I can eliminate everything but the video card as the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I do not want to go to the trouble of buying a new motherboard if my problem is in my processor. The fact is that the card itself is hard to come by and if I have to replace more that one item I may as well upgrade the whole system. The reality is that times are tight and if I can spent $70 to repair the machine rather than buying a new motherboard, chip set, and RAM, I will do that. Any help would be appreciated!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer Powers on for a half second then nothing... Help Appreciated!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »
Have you tried it with only 1 stik of RAM ? ?
Does it boot properly into safemode ? ?

Can it stay on long enough to get any temperature readings from the BIOS ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "