Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade my video card..  (Read 2279 times)

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    Looking to upgrade my video card..
    « on: November 21, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
    Hello,
    i recently bought The elder scrolls Skyrim Video game and my video card isnt cutting it. when i auto detect settings it sets to Medium quality. so i start playing and randomly the game crashes to the desktop.
    I downloaded Evga precision tool to watch what my GPU is doing and when it crashed it is showing that the GPU usage is 99%. ive tried over clocking and all that does is make the game look glitchy.
    So i am looking for a new GPU that will play Skyrim at the high setting. any advice on new GPU's or tips for over clocking or anything really would be appreciated.

My PC specs are as follows...

motherboard - intel dp55wb
    Processor      - i5 2.67 Ghz cpu 750
    HDD               - 1TB western digital 7200 RPM
    PSU               -  700W fatality
    Ram               -  6 Gb DDR3 1333 Mhz (3x @ GB sticks)
    Video card     - 250 GTS 1BG
    OS                 - Windows 7 prof 64 bit

let me know if i missed something please thanks.

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
      • Coundon Computers
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Looking to upgrade my video card..
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:54 AM »
    i would recommend something hardcore like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-Graphics/dp/B004K8R8DA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3RDD8HJWAAYWG&colid=2XQ78PNKD36ME

its pretty good and comes highly recommended from top gamers. if your psu and mb can handle it and, of course, you're willing to fork out the money, then this is a winner
    "Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
      very nice card although im not sure if my MOBO / processor could handle that RAW power

Darthgumby

Beginner
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
        I'm going to be getting a Radeon 6850 soon - looks like a decent card, and it's not too expensive.  I read it should run Skyrim pretty easily on high settings and it doesn't take as much power/heat as some of the higher-end cards.  Might be your safest and most practical bet.  Nvidia GT460 would be a similar card for the same price.
        There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »
          i do some more looking at the 560 TI card and it looks like i would be able to handle it. the GT 460 is very nice card but i wanna get a better one now so i dont have to upgrade in a year or 2.