Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista takes forever to boot then freezes after starting  (Read 10310 times)

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    Vista takes forever to boot then freezes after starting
    « on: April 18, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
    I am using my tablet to post. Sometimes it will let me do a safe mode boot which I was able  to do a hijack this log,I just have to try and get loaded on this site. It started yesterday and no idea why. I know it is vista think the 64 bit,I will try and give more as I try and get more info. I did do a scanner and virus scan,comes back clean. Tried malwarebytes scan but I get run time error.
    Please be patient with me as I try and get more info for you. I will go to the laptop and see if I can get the hijack log posted
    Thank you!

ok got it working in safe mode here is hijack log:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:18:46 AM by Allan »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Vista takes forever to boot then freezes after starting
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:14 AM »
    I deleted your log.

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
      Thank you for helping me. I was able to uncheck 2 of the boxes in selective startup,the the third one was grayed out therefore I could not uncheck that one.
      I did nothing new to my computer. I was online nothing changed,worked great. My daughter asked to go on Facebook,now,she said she got a error,she doesn't remember word from word but something to the effect of turn off computer or your computer will get messed,then it shut off by itself.
      Now, I am back at selective startup,checked the second box,don't remember what it was called,rebootetook foreverrrrrrr to load.
      Still froze,then went to the  blue screen for a dump lol when it came back on,the screen was black and it was checking files and for consistency
      Now I cannot UNCheck the second box to check the first since it keeps going to the blue screen for a dump,had to go safe mode,won't let me go to safe mode ,rebooted again,regular screen cones on,freezes again,still only box checked to load is the second box.Guessing my problem is withwhatever the second box since now I can't even go into safe mode to make changes

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »
      You should still be able to boot to safe mode - msconfig does not effect the initial boot sequence or the ability to get to safe mode.

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
        It won't load anything,I get a bunch of files,guessing that's what they are says please wait........
        Nothing happens then the darn thing after about 5min of waiting in safe mode,reboot itself back to the regular screen.it just did it again

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
        I'd love to know the exact error your daughter got. I also don't understand why you can't even get into safe mode now - we've done nothing to effect that. Can you boot to the Vista cd and run startup repair options?

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
          I don't think I have the disk,I bought from qvc a couple of years ago,2 I think. We moved and I don't think I can even it if I had it.I wish I saw the error message before it shut itself off also,I was in safe mode last night and can't do it today for some reason. I will try safe mode again
          Thanks for helping !

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
            safe mode: getting hung up on crcdisk.sys if that helps any

Allan

• Mastermind

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
              nothing works,it wont boot in safe mode and when i get the regular screen on,it freezes

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:05:50 PM »
              I suggest you test the hd by going to the website of the hd mfg, download & burn their diagnostic utility to cd, and boot to it and run it.

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
                Ok I finally got into safe mode through another way! Running malwarebytes right now. Also finally got in to the registry and found a thing called zugo,spyware as i found out from researching on the tablet :) Removed that crap.
                So is there anything you want me to do while i am in safe mode?
                THANKS AGAIN

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
                Let's see what happens with MalwareBytes, though I would still like you to run the diagnostic on your hd if you have the time.

busymom

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
                  silly question,how do i find out who the hd manufacture is?

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
                  Two easy ways:

1) Device Manager
                  2) http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000497.htm

However, since you're in safe mode you can do the following instead:
                  To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.