Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to recover my full hard dive partitions  (Read 3773 times)

725abike

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to recover my full hard dive partitions
    « on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
    How to recover my full hard drive partition
    I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 with Seagate Momentus 640 GB hard drive it is out of warranty, that's what the person at Dell, tells me
    I think there wrong. I bought it Oct.8, 2011 but not from Dell.
    Right now all I have is 129 GB partition active with Windows 7 - 64bit running on it.  The reason for that 129 GB partition is, when I first started having problems and nothing would work I placed a Seagate tool disc in this CD drive and started my computer I wanted to erase everything and reinstall the operating system since I couldn't start my system recovery.  It asked me what operating system I was going to install and I clicked on Windows 7-64-bit and I believe it stated
    that the largest disk partition I could have was 129 GB to install Windows 7 which I clicked on.  It then went and executed the operation and then I installed Windows 7-64-bit.
    I thought I could go and change everything back after I have a working Windows. I was wrong
    I borrowed and installed paragon hard disk manager it indicates:
    It has a 100 MB logic disk with 10 MB use for restoring my computer (image restore) but
    I can't get to that partition to do the job it was intended for nor can I restore the rest of my hard drive to useful partitions
    C:\ drive is 130 GB logic disc with 25.3 GB use for operating system.
    It also indicates I have an extended partition of 468 GB which is partitions into a logic desk of
    185 GB and an unallocated disc space of 283 GB
    I have a DVD disk that came with the laptop it has drivers and utilities but I can't install anything from the DVD disk on to my laptop
    I can open up the disk in a DOS format.  It shows the DOS Directory and executable files.
    How can I restore my hard drive to its original condition? 
    If you need more information please e-mail me and will try to give you all the information I can.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
    “Ike”

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to recover my full hard dive partitions
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
    Good evening 725abike

OK 1st do you have a good back up of your data.

Use F8 key during boot to get into the Advanced Boot Options menu.
    From the Advanced Boot Options chose the Repair Your Computer option.

Click Next and login to your administrator account on the computer. Your administrator account is the account created the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options and follow the onscreen instructions. Please keep one thing in mind the DataSafe should work for saving your data but nothing beats have good reliable back up's that you know are good. 

If this is not what you are talking about please let us know using this method will restore the PC back to factory condition. 

3rd Party partition managers can be a hit and miss thing. Some folks will swear by this one and someone else will say no that is junk use this one. I have used many different ones over the years and there is not one that I trust 100% so please be careful.

Please let us know how you make out or if you have any questions, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

sarcasticphoenix

Rookie
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: How to recover my full hard dive partitions
      « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:55 AM »
      Have you used a program to backup the entire hard drive?
      If so, you could use the same program to restore everything.
      Have you backed up data or your personal files manually to a drive?
      I think you could slowly and manually fix the OS partition with that, but not other partitions.
      If you haven't made any backups, it might be hard...
      -------------------------
      This is my signature!