Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC won't boot. CPU & GPU fan spins at hyperspeed....  (Read 18789 times)

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PC won't boot. CPU & GPU fan spins at hyperspeed....
    « on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:11 AM »
    I used my PC yesterday to produce music, it worked fine and shut down as normal.

Today I tried to start it up, however both fans instantly started spinning at hyperspeed, with my monitor not receiving any display signal.

I also get the following in 'beeps'

2 fast  ->  pause  ->  8 slow  ->  longer pause  ->  3 fast

So far I have tried

1 - Taking out the graphics card, and rebooting - problem still persists
    2 - Taking out the CMOS battery and rebooting - problem still persists
    3 - Reseting the CMOS jumper and rebooting - problem still persists
    4 - Taking out all but 1 ram - problem still persists

I have ordered another CMOS Battery

I bought the PC 2nd hand a year ago, the specs are as follows

ASRock P55m Pro Motherboard
    Intel i5 750 Processor
    EZCool Super Silent 550w PSU
    ATi Radeon HD 6570 512mb Graphics Card
    8gb of RAM (2 x Corsair + 2 x Crucial)

Apologies if I have missed something, I am completely new to troubleshooting faulty hardware.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If my problem is still not clear, I am happy to make a short video to show what is happening

Thanks in advance

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC won't boot. CPU & GPU fan spins at hyperspeed....
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »
    Please see the below link:
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    And check which beep combination matches the beeps produced by your computer.

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »
      Thanks for the reply.

It was actually that beep page that brought me to the forum.

Assuming I follow the AMI bios beeps (I don't know they're correct for me)

The 2 short beep suggests Parity Circuit Failure (when I click on it on the website, it goes to the 3 beep page, possible bug?)
      The 8 Beeps suggest - Video adapter is missing - It's expected as I have taken it out, (however problem persists when I put it back in)
      The 3 fast beeps - base 64k memory failure (what does this mean?)

Of course, I could be reading the beeps wrong and they could be read as combinations 

Anyone able to shed some light on this situation?

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
      The 2 short beep suggests Parity Circuit Failure (when I click on it on the website, it goes to the 3 beep page, possible bug?)
      The 8 Beeps suggest - Video adapter is missing - It's expected as I have taken it out, (however problem persists when I put it back in)
      The 3 fast beeps - base 64k memory failure (what does this mean?)
      1) Yes, they should be read as combinations. Like you are having 2 long, 8 short and 3 long. The three types of beeps is one sequence.
      2) I think you should re-check with the boot sequence.
      3) Do you see any blown capacitors (caps) on the motherboard? Example of blown caps can be found in this link: http://archive.siliconchip.com.au/static/images/articles/i303/30328_4lo.jpg
      The red arrows shows blown caps where as caps without red arrows shows normal caps with no problems.

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:57:20 AM »
        Thanks for your response

My motherboard doesn't appear to have any capacitors, at least none that look like that.

There's a selection of what looks like fat transistors, they all look normal though.

I've uploaded a short video on youtube to show my motherboard, everything that I've taken out, followed by the beep sequence I'm experiencing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dca2WOB1nkU&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: The beep sequence I'm experiencing as a combination doesn't appear to have a code that relates to it

Shivam
        « Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:09:00 AM by MistaShiv »

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »
        I hear 1 long beep and 8 short beeps. After a pause 2 short beeps. You have AMI bios as checked on ASrock website. The problem- display/retrace test failed
        I suggest you to try with another video card.

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
          Ok, i'll take your word for it and will buy another graphics card

My motherboard is stating that it has

- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (at x16 mode)
          - 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (at x4 mode, 2.5GT/s)
          - 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot (2.5GT/s)
          - 1 x PCI slot
          - Supports ATI™ CrossFireX™ and Quad CrossFireX™

Will any PCI Express graphics card work?

I'm looking at this one, as it is cheap and has some positive reviews (I don't use my PC for gaming)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11166-02-20R-5450-DDR3-Graphics/dp/B0036DD4CO/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380902426&sr=1-1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
          He suggested to try, not buy.  The card you linked to will work, but is a very low performance card & being fanless, will tend to run hot, unless you have a case fan blowing over it.

Put your old graphics card back in & try again.  It won't POST without some kind of graphics, onboard or separate card.  Sometimes the card contact fingers aren't making good contact.  By removing & reinserting, it wipes the fingers clean.  Make sure it's in all the way.

BTW, every motherboard has many capacitors, the round cylindrical silver/blue things mostly around the CPU.

It looks like your PSU P4 connectors is 4-pins, not 8-pins.  You must feed all 8 sockets on the mobo.  They make adapters, but it could be your PSU has failed from overload.  What does the label on the side read?  You need a lot of +12V for the ASRock P55m Pro.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
            Thanks for your response.

I think the graphics card was on its way out (screen flickered a bit before) so I've ordered a slightly better one anyway

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-GT630-Graphics-PCI-E/dp/B00842KHO0

Here is a photo of the label on the PSU

http://microdream.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_1399.jpg

Would you advise buying that PSU adapter then?

I have removed and wiped the graphics card and re inserted it, still having the same problems

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
            It only has 1 12VDC rail, but it's ample, 36A.  Adapter should suffice.  Surprised you weren't having other issues.
            It's really not the proper psu for your configuration, it says Socket 775 & you have Socket 1155, coreI5.

They make a variety of adapters, depends on what you have available on your psu.  we know you have 4-pin cpu available (bottom pic).
            4-pin drive molex to 8-pin cpu molex

4-pin cpu molex to 8-pin cpu molex

Bigger pics can be found here:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generic-ATX-4-Pin-to-8-Pin-Female-to-Male-Adapter-EPS-Power-Supply-Cable-Adapter-/111019002730

The card you selected will do nicely for your intended use (Gigabyte GeForce GT630 Graphics Card).  I have the EVGA GT620 in my desktop.  I like nVidia (GeForce) because they use the same download driver for almost all of the gpu's.  Replace the card, no driver reinstall.  Of course you will have to install because old card was ATI Radeon.

It's possible the old card is OK.  Get the adapter first & see what happens, they're not that expensive.  The flickering you describe could have been the psu giving out on the +12V.

I can see this has the 8-pin, but it might be out of your budget.  Can't see the +12V rating.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Modular-Certified/dp/B00ALYOTTI/ref=pd_cp_computers_3
            « Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:02:16 PM by Computer_Commando »

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
              Ok cool, I'll get that adapter ordered and will keep you updated if it solves the issue

Thanks for your help

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
              And another psu:
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX750-Builder-Series-Bronze/dp/B008RJZR40/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

If you have a voltmeter, could test the outputs.  Install graphics card & connect all drives, probe spare connector, yellow & black.  As soon as you power on, it should hit 11.4 to 12.6VDC.  It's not a definitive test, but outside this range & it's no good.  Voltage can show good, but if it can't supply the current (amps), it's no good.  I just have a feeling it's the psu, it's been overstressed for a long time & partially failed.  You can liken it to a clogged artery.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
              « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
              btw, was the system over-clocked?

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 04:06:24 AM »
                To my knowledge, the PC isn't overclocked, but the seller did mention on its description on eBay that it "could be overclocked, instructions on how to do so are on youtube"

I'm hoping that the PSU adapter and new graphics card will solve the issue, I don't want to have to spend another £50-£60 on a new PSU as well!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
                I would actually go with the PSU itself being at fault...EZCool aren't known for making good units at all.  The second 4 pin to fit into the 8 pin power socket is not needed to POST or for normal usage, a single 4 pin in that 8 pin socket is not a problem provided you have a good PSU.  In all honesty I am surprised that unit lasted you a year.
                If it was capable of providing its rated power, it would've been overkill for your setup anyway, but even the label tells us it's no good - the power available on the 12V rail is over 100W short of what the PSU is supposedly capable of.  Modern PCs draw almost all their power from the 12V rail, so most good units can actually supply all or almost all of their rated wattage on that rail.
                The XFX Pro 450W is a good unit at a good price, it's my normal go-to for setups that don't draw a lot of power like yours.