Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible to Access Files after HD has been plugged into another computer?  (Read 2528 times)

Ally84

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    When my laptop started having issues booting, I plugged the HD into my desktop computer to either try to repair it or to just get the files off of the HD.  The desktop did do some repairs and I was also able to get the files off.  Before long the same booting issue popped up and I ended up buying a new laptop.  The new laptop had a physical HD failure, but when I took it in I also brought the old laptop in to see if anything could be done with it.  They were able to get the old laptop up and running, however I now can't open any of my files.  The fellow at the computer repair place had mentioned that this normally happened when you plug the HD of one computer into another, however I had not had any issues with this before they repaired the computer, when the computer would actually boot.  So I now have a working laptop that I can't access anything with.  I also tried opening the files off of my external HD, both right off of it and after copying and replacing the files onto the laptop.   Is there anyway I can get this laptop to be able to access the files on it and be functional?  It is an ASUS and running Windows 8, not sure which version.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Rather than attempt a correct answer, I will refer you to some article elsewhere about hard drive repair tools. Bear in mind that these are free or low-cost tools and have not guarantee of stability.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240238-49-best-free-hard-drive-diagnostic-utility
    Tom's hardware a good source of info, but you have to wade thorough it to find the exact information you need.

This also looks good.
    http://www.gfi.com/blog/top-20-free-disk-tools-for-sysadmins/
    My recommendation is. Recuva
    Hop that is of some help.

Now about that remark from the repair man.  Not so if you are taking about similar laptop PCs. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 will have the same file systems on a any recent laptop computer. Windows recognizes all the current hard drive types.

The problem occurs when  you use adapters made in  China.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Hi

On the original laptop when you logged into windows did you use a password ? If so the file names will be visible but when you try to open the files you will get access denied. If this is the case you will need some software tools to unlock the files .
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    You may need to "take ownership" of the files before you can access them.

Do you get an error message or what when you try to open the files?

Here's an article on how to take ownership in Win 8:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8