Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer start up problem  (Read 12432 times)

Jessicka Stoppelbein

Computer start up problem
« on: July 23, 2004, 06:59:37 PM »
When I start up my computer it beeps. Over and over and over and well you get the point. The moniter doesn't come on so we don't know what the problem is. We have tried repalcing the battery because we were told that could be a possible reason. We have also taken out the modem board. We've even plugged in one thing at a time (keyboard, moniter, speakers, mouse) to see if it was an incompatiblity problem. We have no clue what else it could be. It had done this once before, and it just stopped one day. Then it wasn't used for a while and now it's not working again. Please help us.  :'(

Raptor

Re: Computer start up problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 02:41:50 AM »
There is more to hardware than what you stated.

See if faulty memory,CD-ROM drive(s), soundcards, videocards, etc could be causing the problem.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:56:35 AM »
    ........"When I start up my computer it beeps. Over and over and over and well you get the point."
    NO.....the point is , the beeps were trying to tell you what the problem might be ......If you could count the beeps and let us know , we may be able to offer some advice as to what the problem is......the other thing that would be helpful is what operating system are you using?

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

tarpey

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:32:26 PM »
    check the cpu and make sure the heatsink and fan are positioned properly.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 02:56:07 PM »
    what  make is this pc   ....could be mobo alarm in enabled in the bios? when did this occur when add new hard ware ram sticks etc..?graphics card fault..

Chir6

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:21:46 PM »
    Each of the above suggestions is right.  It has been my experience that, in order to see the computers Power On Self Test (POST) you need a processor, memory and video card.  You might try to visit the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard and look for something like 'beep-codes' for your model, as sometimes the number of beeps is directly related to the malfunctioning/missing component.  Likely another member of your domicile scavanged some memory or a faster processor while the computer was sitting around.  Good luck solving this problem!

http://www.totalaccesssolutions.com

johnwill

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 08:22:09 AM »
    Well, first stop is to reseat ALL connections and expansion cards.  Don't forget the memory modules.  If that doesn't do it, my normal routine is to remove everything but the video and keyboard, and then fire it up to see if I can get into the BIOS setup.  What are the specific beep codes you are getting?

Nathan Krempely

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 03:43:43 AM »
    This happened to me when I fried my CPU. You have to understand that 99% of anything can and will fry your sensitive components, specifically cpu and ram. Mainly static electricity which is all around us, i.e. rubbing on the carpet and touching metal. The mother board will alrert you using beeps or new ones talk to you like mine does, an asus a7n8x-deluxe. What you should of done is do you FU*KING homework and read your *censored* because a problem like this is not solveable through forums. Read the manual about your mobo.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 04:08:52 AM »
    There are other problems that the beeps can indicate.

Computer Post / Beep Codes

steve ichton

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 10:51:46 AM »
    seems to be catchy lol!  my problem started when i decided to change or update the Ram. i removed the Ram they are SIMMS style. and the other ram i had wasnt correct type what i needed for this Packard Bell 1540 surpream system yes i know its real old lol its a 133 mghz well i put the Ram back in and hooked everything back up and all i got was a lot of beep so took it apart and re inserted the Ram . but that didnt seem to work i did get new ram form the store for that system put the new ram in and things seem to be fine i had no beeos except for the one i i usually get during start up but i have no video now! ?? so i followeda flow chart i found on the net i tried everything i found a new  ( good) mother board on EBAY for 2 bucks wich was a good deal i guess put the new mother board in it cam with ram and a riser card so everything is good  hooked everything back up and it seems to be working i get the one beep at start up wich is right but i dont get any live screen or anything .im kinda stumped at this point i hooked this thintg up to a good monitor and NOTHING so i know its not the monitor...i basicaly striped this system down to a empty case.. any buddy have any ideas..wish i had a wire diagram.. ...any help would be great...

johnwill

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 02:11:30 PM »
    It's very unlikely that Windows will boot on a totally different motherboard than it was initially installed on.  It will certainly have some glitches during the initialization. :)

steve i.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 03:09:26 PM »
    i dont htin that windows is the problem i would just be happy with somthing being shown on the screen doesnt even make it to booting windows..... its the same model mother board out of same model computer..

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 03:21:46 PM »
    ok go in to the bios....del key on boot...does it show it?without basic input ouput system you will get nothing...if it shows it chose load up defaults options maybe f9 save and exit it should   overide graphics card<plug-in one> if not take the card out and try again the bios should use the onboard graphics  that all motherboards have in vga mode..16 colours...

steve I.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 03:33:39 PM »
    NOpe  monitor just has the blinking yellow light at start up . i put the monitor seeting all the way up and and nothing ...i guees the vid card is built into this board like th original fans  run , CD  operates and the floppy drive green light stays on . i do believ the hard drive is working . but not sure i know it spins up. and i get one beep after all this but monitor is blank and dark still.. thanks for help

gliss

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 06:56:42 AM »
    I hate working on Packard Bell systems. They use too much proprietary hardware.  I have had the same issue as Steve and never did figure it out.  I've worked on  many systems sucessfully, but never had much luck with PB.