Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus ?  (Read 80143 times)

Dummy

Virus ?
« on: December 28, 2005, 11:36:31 AM »
This problem has persisted for awhile. I have a HP Pavillion with Norton antivirus. The problen is that some how some has put me on a network of computers and they stop the downloads of some programs. I did what I thought was a full hard drive format however the problem persists. HP sent a new hard drive and still the same problem. I have enough computer skills to make me dangerous, but have been playing with the dos progam. Most of the programs are loaded in HIMEM with I did not do. ALso when I do a system restore it shows I have alot of new progams added rather than everything new. Any help is appreciated.

Tadracket

Re: Virus ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:57:23 AM »
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want off the network? Do you want to dl programs you can't? On a personal note: if you have just enough skills to make you dangerous, you might want to play somewhere other than DOS. Just a suggestion. Give me some more info.

Dummy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 12:05:32 PM »
yes i want off the network. I did complete destructive recovery this morning to no avail. I'm sure that it is in the restore partition of the disk and possibly memory resident.

Tadracket

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 12:09:15 PM »
Are you at work or on a home computer?

Dummy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:10:09 PM »
This is a home computer,

Tadracket

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 12:17:31 PM »
That is a strange one. We have firewalls here at work that lock people off certain websites and programs that lock certain executables but for someone to install this on your home computer to keep you from running some programs makes no sense to me. What programs are being blocked? Maybe it is an ISp thing. Are you a known file sharer? Who is you isp?

Dummy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 12:20:02 PM »
I understand the statement of playing in dos as it can sure mess things up, but this is where I found some stange things. I would love to just wipe out everything and start over. I have lost all important information already, and replace the hard drive. I've pulled the pugged and almost cussed once ??? I've pulled the battery to reset bios, I,ve did serveral dos progams to clean the hard drive 1 that I found on computerhope and it's still there.

Dummy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:24:58 PM »
No I do not share normally and have never done so in the past. I use this computer for a home business. Charter is my isp. The strange thing is that if I go to cmd and type ipconfig/all everything looks normal until I go online then I have a DHCP (I don't normally have 1)

Dummy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 12:29:44 PM »
Also when I do a system restore from disks it hangs up on driv\apps.log not recoverable along with serveral others. I retry and usually get through to get back on line.

Tadracket

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »
What programs are you trying to install that it won't let you?

Dummy

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »
Any program from the internet usually will be missing part of the progam I can load from home with no  problem, the Norton anti-virus progam, of course is redirected to the host computer so I cannot be sure if I download updates. It finds nothing anyway.

Tadracket

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 01:12:20 PM »
Maybe there is enough info here for someone to offer ideas 'cause I am at a loss. Never seen anything like this before. Hope you get it remedied.

Dummy

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks, I do too. I appreaciate all the help, and again amazied at all people are able to accomplish with a computer.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 03:13:14 PM »
    What is your Operating System?
    Do you have a full version Operating System Disk?
    Are you using your 1st Hard drive or the one that HP sent you?

Dummy

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 04:28:21 PM »
    I'm running XP Home with the new hard drive and with in 1 min of accessing the internet I developed the same condition.