Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS wont go to SETUP  (Read 5762 times)

jlapolla

BIOS wont go to SETUP
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:09:44 PM »
I just installed a replacement Motherboard in an eMachines T1842 (1.8 Celeron).  The PS had gone bad, replaced that, still no good, so then I replaced the MB.

Now, when I boot, I get a BIOS splash screen, that tells me to press <TAB> for POST, and <DEL> for SETUP.
I can <TAB> to POST, but pressing <DEL> does nothing.

When I go to POST, it only recognizes 64Mb RAM, and usually locks up searching for IDE drives.

Suggestions?

thanks,
John

GX1_Man

Re: BIOS wont go to SETUP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
The motherboard is not set up correctly. Check all wire, jumpers, resear all RAM and cards. If that doesn't do it, strip it to MB, CPU with heat sink of stick of RAM and video. See what happens. If it works, add in one thing at a time between boots, until the offending party crashes the system. If you don;t get along that far, tell us of your travels.

IT-Guy

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »
I also had a defective e-machine and had problems with the bios... Have you tried pulling out the cmos and/or clearing the bios?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
I also had a defective e-machine and had problems with the bios... Have you tried pulling out the cmos and/or clearing the bios?

I wouldn't recommend pulling out a CMOS.  ;)

IT-Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »
I knew somebody would be smart about that ... OK.. so I forgot a word..  I meant clear the bios by removing the CMOS battery.  But most systems these days use jumpers anyway...

jlapolla

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »
Thanks GX1_Man... Your advice got me a step further.

I had already cleared the CMOS using the onboard jumper... no help.

I pulled everything except RAM, still no help.  So I swapped in a known good stick of RAM.

NOW it boots to the POST, or CMOS SETUP.  I can make changes, etc. I told it to load the Default best setting for the MB.

I plugged the FD, HD, and CD back in, and I can boot a WinME startup floppy.

If I boot without the floppy, it goes through boot, accesses the HD, WindowsXP screen appears briefly, then a Blue screen with a text message flashes very quickly , and it goes to the CMOS splash screen.

Suggestions?

thanks for your patience!
John

IT-Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 07:36:34 AM »
Congrats on getting it to POST... Now you can go in with safemode hopefully... If not, do like GX1 said and remove any component not necessary to get into Windows.   I'm interested to see if you can get in through safemode before trying anything else...

jlapolla

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:15:39 AM »
Thanks,

Tried selecting Safe Mode on the 2nd try.   It does the same thing, gives me the WindowsXP logo screen just long enough to tease me... then crashes me down by flashing a message I don't have enough time to read, and returning to the CMOS splash screen.

Computer's at home, so I'll be trying other stuff tonight.

thanks,
John

IT-Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
Hmm.. Just as an afterthought... You said you replaced the motherboard on the 1842, but did you replace it with the same model and type?  If not, you will have to reinstall windows.  I'm also curious to find where you found a replacement board... I also recently had a bad E-machine (same model) but couldn't find a replacement board.

Thanks.

jlapolla

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »
Found a replacement MB at Computer Builders Warehouse. Not the exact same, an MSI MicroATX, that accepts the Celeron 1.8 in my original. Fit perfectly, same back connectors as well as MB headers for the front USB 2.0 and sound out.  Couldn't find a header for the front MIC in connector, but not really needed. Cost $60.

You may have the answer in reinstalling Windows.  I didn't know I would have to do that.

Is there any way to save the data on the HD?

thanks
John

IT-Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »
Save data?  Of course... Just slave the drive to a working one and pull off your personal files.

jlapolla

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 09:11:23 AM »
Great thought!

I guess I'll be busy tonight!

Thanks very much,
John

IT-Guy

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »
Of course you have to let us know if it all works out..   ;D

jlapolla

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
Well... the saga continues!

Pulled the HD, slaved onto another system and pulled off data files. Great idea, IT.
Reinstalled the HD in my dead system, Used the eMachines Restore CD to reinstall WinXP, made no difference!

To recap the current problem, new MB boots, BIOS splash screen appears, (I can go to POST or SETUP if I want), then the message screen appears saying Windows did not start properly the last time, and gives me options for Safe Mode.... Normal.  Makes no difference which I choose, the WinXP logo screen appears briefly, then a Blue screen with a message flashes to quickly to read, and it goes back to the BIOS splash screen.

I have pulled the CMOS battery to reset, no change.  I can boot off a WinME floppy.

Appreciate any suggestions.

John

IT-Guy

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
what happened between loading the "clean install" of xp sp2 and the error "Windows did not start.."?
Did you finish installing windows completely?  Did you install any drivers yet?  At what point did you get the error?

Thanks.