Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: **NEEEED BIIIIG HEEELPPPP*** MOTHERBOARD Problem  (Read 4830 times)

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    **NEEEED BIIIIG HEEELPPPP*** MOTHERBOARD Problem
    « on: May 20, 2006, 02:47:32 PM »
    Whats up? I have a motherboard that i got and it has AMD Duron 800 Mhz and i installed everything properly the hard drive cables memory sticks and the power and etc.. and i put in a Video Card, when i turned it on, it turns on but the harddirves dont spin because i can feel them when i put my hand one and when i disconnect the the Harddrive IDE cables and turn it on they spin just fine, and the screen is black (sleep mode) I dont know what is going on.. Please i need really big help.. Thanks.......
    If you have any questions reply in this forum and ill read it and ill reply too... Thank you..  

GX1_Man

Re: **NEEEED BIIIIG HEEELPPPP*** MOTHERBOARD Probl
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
    What is the history of the motherboard? Do you know it works correctly? How about some details of the machine, drives, jumper settings, operating system, etc.

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »
      HMM the history of the mother board here is a site... http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=92 If i smell the chips and etc.. it smells like it is burned.. can that be the problem.. I had the same problem with my other computer and i fixed it and i dont remember what i did my other computer smells like the chips are burned...

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
      By history, I meant where did you get it, why was it sold/given to you and did it work priot to this? Honestly, if it smells burned, it probably is.  :o :o :o :o

rat

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:29:39 AM »
      Yeah I agree....Burning smell = Tears..!!!!....Do U get any BEEPS ???...That may help solve prob...cheers all.

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
        The History of the motherboard is that i bought the motherboard from a guy.. and he told me that it works and he took it out of a working system.. The Motherboartd does not give any beeps here is what ahppends...: When i push the power button it turns on and everything stays the same.. I have one more question: Why does the mother board have two heat sinks and fans.. it has only one processor and one chip.. I have the fan on the processor, but on the other chip it doesnt have one.. so my question is.. Should I put a fan on the processor and the chip....

P.S. I accidentaly driped some thermal paste on the processor chips it is a AMD Druon and it has some chips on it.. and i aciddentaly driped some thermal paste between the contacts.. and i erases as much as i can.. will it cause problems.. is the thermal paste conducted... thanks.. God bless... I really need to fix this motherboard.. thank you...

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:28 PM »
        What is the motherboard make and model?

Yes thermal paste in the wrong place can cause problems. I don't wquite e understand. you got some on the pins where it plugs in?

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 02:22:05 PM »
          The Make and the Model is: ABIT-KT7
          and what i meant by the pins touching the thermal paste is if you take a AMD duron processor you can look on the top and there will be the main chip and some other chips and the termal paste came in between the small chips..
          I 've found some new discovery. When i plug teh IDE cable from the harddrive into the motherboard and i turn the computer on the hard drive does not spin, when i take the IDE cable out of the mother board and turn the computer on the harddrives are spinning.. and i have one question: Is there a posibility that there is no BIOS driver.. I mean there is a BIOS but i dont kno if it has the BIOS driver and that is why it is acting up..  

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »
          Are you sure tthe hard drive is functional?

Why don't you unplug all the cards and drives except the CPU/FAN, 1 memory chip and the video card and see if it powers on correctly.

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
            Yeah im sure that the harddrive is functional.. I took it out of a working system.. I already tried that.. This is what i did. I took everything out except the Video Card and the CPU/FAN and one memory stick of 128 M.B. and it still wont work...
            P.S. Here is the picture of my motherboard:
            « Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:55:02 PM by Maksim »

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 03:45:19 PM »
            OK, so it is a bad Mobo, a bad CPU or a bad PSU OR it is not connected properly. Tell us about the power supply.
            « Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:45:55 PM by GX1_Man »

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
              I think that you are probably right the processor might be bad, because i tested it yesterday.. I tunred on the computer and it did not boot the hard drives in another words the harddrives were not spinning, when i took the processor out and turned the computer back on the hard drives were spinning.. and the power supply is a regualr power suplly that you might find on a Pentium 2 system..

P.S. Everything is connected properly..

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
                Maksim......Is your mobo ......... a  ABIT-KT7  or a ABIT-KT7- Raid as the pic shows ?
                Did you install a cooling fan on the heatsink that you installed on the processor ? If you didn't and you powered it up it is probably fried . ( That would account for the burnt smell you describe.
                Did you thoroughly read the manual before you proceeded to put things together ?  What is the capacity of the power supply that you used .......?
                and the power supply is a regualr power suplly that you might find on a Pentium 2 system..
                  What does that comment mean ?
                When you installed the mobo in the case , did you check to be sure there where no shorts or grounds ( or anything lodged between the board and the case ? ) .
                Were you ever able to enter the CMOS set up ?

dl65  ::)
                « Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:34:03 AM by dl65 »
                If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
                  My Motherboard ABIT-KT7... NO RAID.. I YES i installed the cooling fan and the heatsink. The mother board did not come with a manual.. but i can get it off the internet. and when i installed the MOBO in the case everything is fine.. no shorts nothing.. i dont know what is going on.. i really want to get it to work so i can put Linspire on it.. but it doesnt work.. and i cant even get to CMOS.. I think that the BIOS driver is missing... or something.. and i cant flash the BIOS because it wont even boot teh floppy disk.. I think that it is the processor not the mobo...

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »
                  And do you have a spare processor if that's what you are sure the problem is?