Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MIXING RAM???????  (Read 8949 times)

tvarmy04

MIXING RAM???????
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:27:02 AM »
k i currently have 2x 512mb pc2700 ddr memory sticks...
k now i just bought 2x 1gb pc3200 ddr memory sticks...when i went to install them and turned the cpu on its started beeping and wouldnt load anything just power on and beep-beep-beep-beep-beep

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: MIXING RAM???????
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »
    tvarmy04....  First of all you have described 2 differant types of ram .........

So , question , does your mobo support pc 3200 ddr ram ?
    How many ram slots does your mobo have ?

Ram must match ...you cannot simply install it because its 184 pin ram ....things have to be compatible and it doesn't sound like it is.
    The existing ram is pc2700 and the new ram is pc3200 . If these differant ram have the same characteristics apart from the speed ........ the pc3200 should be backwards compatible with the pc2700. I suspect they are not a match .

You need to doublecheck exactly the specs of your machine.    
    Go to ....  http://www.crucial.com/     you will find out what I'm refering to .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:02:02 AM »
      I have DDR400 ram and got some new DDR333 ram (accident, not my fault!) They were both Kingston. My motherboard has dual memory channels. It is something I've never heard of before, but I decided to put the two different speeds in the different channels, and my computer works fine. I guess it's a case of, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I would suggest loading the computer with just the new ram, and see if it is faulty?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »
      Neil you may have goten lucky. I don't know any specifics about you motherboard so can't comment on why it works.

tvarmy04-

Either you have bad or mismatched RAM. Go to www.crucial.com and input your computer or motherboard model and you will see EXACTLY what you should have gotten. You can compare that with what you got. Therein will be the problem, As dl65 said, there is more to it than "will it fit in the slot". It is much more likely that you got the wrong thing rather than the RAM is bad.

If you post all of the info requested above we can advise further.

tvarmy04

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
      well i have a gigaybyte GA-8I8PE1000 mobo.....i checked the specs on it and it says supports dual ddr ram, its got 4 slots for ram. im not tryin to mix the ram 2gether im replacing the 2x 512 ones with the 2x1gb ones.
      « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:07:48 AM by tvarmy04 »

tvarmy04

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »
      yea i checked the stats....on crucial.com and the meomery i got is the first one on the list, just a diff brand. but even then its samsung and my old memory is samsung
      « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:08:48 AM by tvarmy04 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
      And your motherboard is a _____?

And the RAM you got is a Samsung __________ of a different speed?

And the CL of the new RAM is _____________.

Please fill in the blanks.

Of course we are all assuming the RAM was installed firmly in the slot. Did you research the beep codes for the _________ motherboard? They are diagnostic, not just random, you know.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Is any of this related to your other problems:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1150256975/15
      « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:22:03 AM by GX1_Man »

tvarmy04

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:25:18 AM »
      - gigabyte GA-8I8PE1000
      -samsung 1gb pc3200 ddr 400mhz 184pin
      -now the CL?? do u mean cas latency? cuz if you then its 3

tvarmy04

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
      as for the beeping..its just a constant beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep and sorta fast..so im guessin its the ram alarm. duh

tvarmy04

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »
      o and for that other prob nah...i gave up on that im guessin that hdd is bad cuz i cant get it to load on any of the cpu's in the house. so im using my old hdd. but this is just a lil upgrade i wanna do for ram. i mean my 2x512 sticks work perfect but when i try to reboot with the 2 1gb sticks nothin happens

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 12:26:44 PM »
        When I first installed RAM, I was quite suprised about how much of a push you needed to give them. I'd give them a little pokies just to make sure they're securly in the slot. Be careful where you poke them though.

And try installing them seperately in case one of the new sticks is bad.
        « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:27:24 PM by Neil »

Neil

Expert
          « Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 12:28:31 PM »
          im not tryin to mix the ram 2gether

Then why give this topic the title, mixing ram?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
          - gigabyte GA-8I8PE1000
          -samsung 1gb pc3200 ddr 400mhz 184pin
          -now the CL?? do u mean cas latency? cuz if you then its 3

I don't see that model motherboard listed there, or on the Gigabyte site, or with Google.

Are those numbers correct?

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »
          yea i checked the stats....on crucial.com and the meomery i got is the first one on the list, just a diff brand. but even then its samsung and my old memory is samsung
          Did Crucial also confirm that your system can accomodate 3 Gig of memory, which is what you now have?
          « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:34:53 PM by soybean »

tvarmy04

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 01:07:28 PM »
          k first off niel.....i did try 1 stick at a time and same thing doesnt work....

now gx1_man...here you go http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1647 search is your friend.

and for you soybean... im not trying to put 3gb of memory in(well if i could i would) but the crucial website stated taht the 2 new sticks of ram i got WILL work...because its the first one on the list it gives, jeez guys...