Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Links Trouble  (Read 5000 times)

Dante

Links Trouble
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:05:50 AM »
Hi,I have this problem on IE. Every now and then (randomly) ,when I am using IE , all links in a site suddenly turn to various links of adult sites. Then when I press refresh the same page loads but with the real links. I've noticed that this happens randomly and that the adult links aren't all the same.
And I already tried using these programs : AdAware , Spybot , Norton Anti-Virus , System Mechanic pro and Hijack This.
Ex: once when I was using Yahoo! I pressed 'SEARCH' and instead of the usual search page I got an adult site.

I am using WinXP Pro:Sp2 , 512k modem .
Does anyone have any suggestions or remedy for this thing?  :'(

Raptor

Re: Links Trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 10:14:39 AM »
You most likely did not properly configure Adaware and Spybot S&D properly.

I suggest you try those programs again and set them to load on Windows startup. Also look at the other options the programs provide you with.

As for Internet Explorer, use Mozilla Firefox instead;

Mozilla Firefox
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 10:16:29 AM by Raptor »

Dante

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 10:21:40 AM »
Yes i did try making Adaware and Spybot start on start-up and I even tried the 'use custom scanning options ' on adaware and got it to scan every single file but still what they find they remove but still the problem persists. thanks for the firefox link , i'll use another browser for the time being.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 10:25:07 AM by Dante »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 10:25:20 AM »
What kind of websites are you referring to? If you have absolutely no spyware (No tracking cookies either) on your system, it may be just the webpage..

Dante

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 10:28:35 AM »
The problem happens on alot of different sites. From search engines to Review sites. Thats why I think it isn't from the sites.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 10:32:36 AM by Dante »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 10:32:31 AM »
A lot of review sites seem to have 3rd party advertisers that may lead to dodgy pop ups. Same goes for search engines.

What version of Adaware have you been using?

Dante

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 10:34:10 AM »
Adaware V6.0 with latest updates

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 10:40:24 AM »
Firefox has a built in pop-up blocker. I believe http://www.google.com offers an Internet Explorer plugin that contains a search engine and a popup blocker.

Dante

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 10:44:54 AM »
With sp2 , even Internet Explorer has a pop-up blocker.
The problem doesn't give me a clue when it's going to happen. I press a link and the next thing I know is that the address changes totally to some other adult site , without opening a new window.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 02:05:35 PM »
Perhaps a different program such as Spysweeper or Pestpatrol will help you remove the problem.

Use this program to disable Messenger:

Shoot The messenger - Gibson Research Corporation

It may be causing spam.

(MSN Is not the same Microsoft Messenger)

Dante

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 10:32:45 AM »
I installed SpySweeper and after running scans by Adaware and Spybot , I made a scan with SpySweeper. Incredibly :o it found 33 malicous items that the others did'nt find. I think that solved the problem because when I looked up some info on some of them I found out that they could be the problem. Till now the problem didn't happen again.
Thanks alot for your help as this seems to have solved it.