Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zone Alarm Pro is causing my pc not to boot  (Read 9710 times)

Dead_reckon

Zone Alarm Pro is causing my pc not to boot
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:12:29 AM »
ok, so, recently, i had some troubles with a secondary hard drive. i dont know if this is a coencidence, or what, but after that, zone alarm would not load, and, i cannot access any webpages, however, i can access messagers, AND online games. so, i tried to remove it, got these errors:

Validation failed for C:\windows\system32\VSINIT.dll. you probably are missing a necessary root certification.

Validation failed for C:\windows\system32\vsdata.dll. you probably are missing a necessary root certification.

the windows where both named this directory:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\zlclient.exe

any ideas on how to fix this?

EDIT: i will be in the chat, if you wish to discuss this there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:30:30 PM by Dead_reckon »

Dead_reckon

Re: Zone Alarm Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
situation has gotten worse, i attempted to boot in safe mode, it froze, so i rebooted, and now i cannot get it to boot past a screen that is telling me to disable any new anti virus, or firewall program, and to check the disk for errors.

i CANNOT format, data is priceless, alot of my data isnt backed up... ANY suggestions will be appreciated. i am going to attempt to access it through using the repair tool through the windows XP cd of  my dads.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Zone Alarm Pro is causing my pc not to boot
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:01:59 PM »
The best way to try and retrieve that data off that HDD is to hook it up to a working machine and jumper it as a slave drive...copy away and shame on you for not backing up regular-like...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:19:59 AM »
    Reinstall Zonealarm then try uninstalling again.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 12:05:26 PM »
    The best way to try and retrieve that data off that HDD is to hook it up to a working machine and jumper it as a slave drive...copy away and shame on you for not backing up regular-like...

i dont have another working PC at the time, is the problem, but, i am attempting to fix it, it has gone from the previous error, to saying there is a corrupt driver, i think i can fix this given enough time, but, any advise on this would be appreciated

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:06:13 PM »
    Reinstall Zonealarm then try uninstalling again.

i already said, i tried that, it did not work, wont even let me delete it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
    Backup data. Format. Reinstall.

The best and fastest solution for this tale of woe.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »
      Backup data. Format. Reinstall.
      But leave out the ZA bloatware.
      http://www.comcen.com.au/~fed/sygate.zip

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 08:00:54 PM »
      i think im gonna hook up the 30 gig i have in the old HP as the master in this, format it, install xp, and get the data off of the other two hard drives. its only a corrupted driver now, i fixed the errors on the drive. i really hate having to do this, i have put alot of time keeping this thing running. and i will probably have to go through several days of dealing with Steam, to get my registration code re-validated. well, my weekend is officially screwed. what little is left anyway. thanks for the help.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
      i have XP pro installed (my dads copy), when i use my dads key though, the stupid windows genuine advantage says it is invalid... i suppose i will have to find a way around that... thanks for the firewall though, seeing as i wont be installing SP2 until i can get it to accept the key. i dont see why microsoft is so greedy about there software, they have more than enough money to allow atleast 5 keys per cd without charging the prices that they currently do.

oh, as a note, i cant use dual monitors without having them all clone the primary until i get SP2 installed. really really really annoying...
      « Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 05:17:22 PM by Dead_reckon »

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 11:50:37 PM »
        If Microsoft were paid for every installation of their software then they could probably drop the price by 75%.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »
        i think im gonna hook up the 30 gig i have in the old HP as the master in this, format it, install xp, and get the data off of the other two hard drives. its only a corrupted driver now, i fixed the errors on the drive. i really hate having to do this, i have put alot of time keeping this thing running. and i will probably have to go through several days of dealing with Steam, to get my registration code re-validated. well, my weekend is officially screwed. what little is left anyway. thanks for the help.

OK in post #4 you didn't have another machine but it now appears you do...Best of Luck.

patio.     8-)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »
        situation has gotten worse, i attempted to boot in safe mode, it froze, so i rebooted, and now i cannot get it to boot past a screen that is telling me to disable any new anti virus, or firewall program, and to check the disk for errors.

i CANNOT format, data is priceless, alot of my data isnt backed up... ANY suggestions will be appreciated. i am going to attempt to access it through using the repair tool through the windows XP cd of  my dads.

For the record, when Microsoft programs start telling you to disable Anti-Virus and Firewalls; you know they're not Microsoft.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 06:37:39 PM »

For the record, when Microsoft programs start telling you to disable Anti-Virus and Firewalls; you know they're not Microsoft.

you have to realize, zone alarm could have blocked a crucial windows proccess, forcing it to not be able to boot. common sense.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:55:54 PM »

you have to realize, zone alarm could have blocked a crucial windows proccess, forcing it to not be able to boot. common sense.

Even so, Windows wouldn't start telling you to disable Anti-virus and Firewall programs. If it does, I'd like to see a screenshot if you are absolutely certain your PC is spyware and virus free.