Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another I need help with buying a comp thread  (Read 9608 times)

Sinkhan

Re: Another I need help with buying a comp thread
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 03:08:13 PM »
Again, thanks Track for all the advice.
But still, I've got some issues:

1. Could you, or anyone else, tell me how the X800GTO is better than the X1600Pro (other than in price)?
2. Why can't I upgrade from a 19" monitor? (Althought I still doubt I'll want to.
3. What's a good mtrbrd that supports dual-card set-ups? And is it that only for the SLI/Crossfire cards?

Perhaps I will just settle for an E6400 and then overclock it slightly and carefully. My friend tried overclocking his P4 and his comp got all messed up.

Even if Newegg ships to Canada, there just might be the chance that there might be a problem with the product and then I'd have to return and get a new part shipped back to me. If I do order direct (if[ I do), then I'll get it from TigerDrct Canada. Still I think I like this setup:

Core 2 Duo 6600
1GB DDR 535M RAM
320 GB 16M Seagate HD
LG 16x DVD+/- RW
ATI X1600Pro 512M
19" Samsung 8ms LCD

For just $1208. Also, I could get the E6400 for $1118. And maybe get the X800GTO like you mentioned.

However, isn't the X850 even better and still around $100?

homer

Expert
    « Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 04:04:06 PM »
    Track, there is no shame in admitting you are wrong. everyone knows that we as humans are not perfect, everyone makes mistakes.
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:19:37 PM by homer »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »
      Track, there is no shame in admitting you are wrong. everyone knows that we as humans are not perfect, everyone makes mistakes.

When u ask for something that u think is hard to give - make an effort to explain what that is..
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

When u ask for something that u think is hard to give - make an effort to explain what that is..
                                                      ' WOTW'
      You my friends are becoming a 'pernicious' group of people. :-?

Bread and Water Please!..................Sylvester Needs A Psychiatrist.

Acronym...........SNAP! ;D
      « Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:58:01 AM by street1 »
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 08:56:16 AM »
        1. Could you, or anyone else, tell me how the X800GTO is better than the X1600Pro (other than in price)?
        The X800GTO is an awesome card. At stock settings it is already better than the 7600 GT (wich is a lot better than even the X1600XT), but it's potential that makes it great.
        You could unlock the X800GTO's pipelines, turning it into an X850XT and overclock it into an X850XT PE.
        That way u spend 100$ and get over 150$ in return.

2. Why can't I upgrade from a 19" monitor? (Althought I still doubt I'll want to.
        Once u have a monitor, u cannot simply upgrade it to a larger size - u would have to sell it and buy another.

3. What's a good mtrbrd that supports dual-card set-ups? And is it that only for the SLI/Crossfire cards?
        I have listed the 2 best motherboard for SLi/Crossfire, wich are the only dual-card set ups.

Perhaps I will just settle for an E6400 and then overclock it slightly and carefully. My friend tried overclocking his P4 and his comp got all messed up.
        Either the E6400 now, or the E4300 in a month. E4300 (130$) = E6700 (500$)

Even if Newegg ships to Canada, there just might be the chance that there might be a problem with the product and then I'd have to return and get a new part shipped back to me. If I do order direct (if[ I do), then I'll get it from TigerDrct Canada. Still I think I like this setup:
        The chances that a product will arrive broken or damaged, and thus un-usable is very small.
        I would not count on it at all, but the price u would have to pay for RMA is not high either.. even to Canada.

Core 2 Duo 6600
        1GB DDR 535M RAM
        320 GB 16M Seagate HD
        LG 16x DVD+/- RW
        ATI X1600Pro 512M
        19" Samsung 8ms LCD

For just $1208. Also, I could get the E6400 for $1118. And maybe get the X800GTO like you mentioned.

However, isn't the X850 even better and still around $100?

That PC is not worth 1200$ in any way. The one I built is far better and actually costs less.

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 09:11:05 AM »
          Not all X800GTO can be unlocked, so it's not a smart thing to rely upon. I have an x1600XT and I'm satisfied with its performance. It's not the best card, but plays games at good detail.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
          « Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 09:13:14 AM »

S-ylvester

N-eeds

A-

P-sychiatrist
          !

SNAP! :-? ;D
          Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »
            Not all X800GTO can be unlocked, so it's not a smart thing to rely upon. I have an x1600XT and I'm satisfied with its performance. It's not the best card, but plays games at good detail.

Every X800GTO can be unlocked. There is always a faulty 1-3% but thats not un-like any other card.

Sinkhan

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 03:40:19 PM »
            I'm pretty sure that the 4300 wouldn't be as good as the 6700. If you accounting for the fact that it will be overclockable to a bit higher than the 6700, the 6700 could itself be overclocked.

I guess I might try the X800GTO, but I'm not sure how to do all that pipeline unlocking and what not you talked about. I don't know that much about hardware. And Again, I don't want to order from Newegg.
            Just because.

homer

Expert
              « Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »

this is a rough translation, but im guessing what you meant to say is, you are not quite sure what a im referring to. i am reffering to your many dodges, ducks, and bends of when someone corrects you. instead of apologizing, admiting you were wrong, or even correcting yourself, you either warp your words to fit your needs or go way off topic with some obtuse statement. then once someone challenges your off topic statement or "clever" deviation of words, you either ignore them or make an attempt to sound intelligent by using almost proper grammar and sentence structure such as the above quote. please knock of the charade and admit defeat once in a while. no one is invincible.
              « Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:03:27 PM by homer »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
              « Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 06:34:50 PM »
              S-ylvester

N-eeds

A

P-sychiatrist

!

[size=36]SNAP![/size]
              « Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:36:50 PM by street1 »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 04:14:42 AM »
                I'm pretty sure that the 4300 wouldn't be as good as the 6700. If you accounting for the fact that it will be overclockable to a bit higher than the 6700, the 6700 could itself be overclocked.

At stock speeds the E4400* is only 2.0Ghz, while the E6700 is 2.66Ghz.
                The E4400 has a 10x multiplier and the E6700 has a 10x multiplier.
                What does this mean? That they can overclock to the EXACT same speeds.
                And since the E4400 should cost 133$ while the E6700 costs over 500$, i think u can see why the E4400 or E4300 for that matter, since it can overclock way past 3.0Ghz aswell (wich is all that matters), are much better than the E6700, wich is a horrible waste of money.

I guess I might try the X800GTO, but I'm not sure how to do all that pipeline unlocking and what not you talked about. I don't know that much about hardware. And Again, I don't want to order from Newegg.
                Just because.

There are numerous online guides and the whole process dosent take more than 5 mins.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »

this is a rough translation, but im guessing what you meant to say is, you are not quite sure what a im referring to. i am reffering to your many dodges, ducks, and bends of when someone corrects you. instead of apologizing, admiting you were wrong, or even correcting yourself, you either warp your words to fit your needs or go way off topic with some obtuse statement. then once someone challenges your off topic statement or "clever" deviation of words, you either ignore them or make an attempt to sound intelligent by using almost proper grammar and sentence structure such as the above quote. please knock of the charade and admit defeat once in a while. no one is invincible.

Well, thats a heck of a theory.. but where is the proof. If u did not understand, that is what i asked for in the post u were trying to decifer.

Edit: Are u attacking me, saying that i think im always right, because i said the ODD costs 25$ when it costs 30$??
                  « Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:24:04 AM by Track »

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »
                    [size=20]Proof:[/size]  

Track
                    Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2006, 3:11am
                    Quote from GX1_Man on Dec 19th, 2006, 6:28pm:
                    Well that's not $25, but it is only 20% more. On the other hand you were only off 10% on the processor.

GX1_Man: "Life is far too short for that."

oblique statement.

GX1_Man
                    Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2006, 3:35am
                    I'm not sure what that is about. My point was in trying to show a source to go along with the prices you are mentioning when you make recommendations as budget is an issue in some cases, especially when compounded by multiple computer components.

GX1_Man challenges your statement and corrects you. You ignore him. End of disscusion.

------------------------------------------

Track
                    Completely untrue. Many companies will let u choose the parts u want and buld the PC for u, its very simple. All u need is someone to tell u what to put in it, and he has us for that.

making a false statement about building computers.

Homer
                    then its not "building your own" is it.............  ::)

challenging your statement and correcting you.

Track
                    Of course it is. I just helped a friend "build" his PC. That means i helped him choose the parts he wanted other than have them chosen by a company who knows nothing of his wants.

The actuall "construction" of the PC is completely irrelevent to this discussion - the whole point is choosing the parts by urself, or "building" the PC virtually.

you warping your words to fit your needs to make an attempt to sound correct.

Homer
                    no its still is not building your own PC. you may have freedom to choose what parts you would like installed, but you are paying someone else to piece it all together for you. maybe you are misunderstanding; calum's statement regards building the pc from start to finish, from screwing in all the screws to installing the OS and all the drivers. this is definitly not for someone who does not have good knowledge about computers.

me challenging your last statement and correcting you further.

Track
                    Yes, "buying a custom PC" means "building it virtually" and the physical building process is what i call "constructing the PC". This would also include setting up the software, not only the hardware.

trying to justify your incorrect statement by using synonyms.

Homer
                    not that i intend to drag this small argument on longer, but heres an online dictionary Track, it will do you good to read it.

http://www.answers.com/topic/construct
                    http://www.answers.com/build

me correcting you even further by clarifying that both constuct and build are synomonous. You ingnore me. End of disscusion.

-----------------------------------------

i cannot quote you on this because it seems your posts have been deleted. however, i have a fairly good memory. please feel free to correct me.

Homer
                    as far as i know diablo 1 is not abondonware, therefore downloading the game would be illegal. im sorry, but we cannot help you with this problem.

Track
                    You can probably download it from a Bittorrent site.Homer CHOOSES to pay for software.

blatantly going against Computer Hope regulations.

Homer
                    i have not chosen anything. i am merely following computer hope guidelines. maybe you should refresh your memory http://www.computerhope.com/under.htm.

me reminding you of our guidelines.

Track
                    Dont be a tool.

completely irrelevant to my previous post. as any mature person would follow regulations.

Homer
                    Dont post anything that goes against our guidelines.

me CLEARLY stating to follow the rules. You ignore me. End of disscusion

----------------------------------------

Track
                    The ONLY thing that matters in gaming, and that has propelled the market forward has been graphics.
                    Graphics are what drive the entire market and they are all that everyone look for in games.

making an incorrect statement unsupported by any facts.

Homer
                    really? sorry if i disagree, but there are many games that are better then newer games despite the newer games better graphics. for instance, halo and halo2. many people did not like halo2 and refused to play it despite its better graphics.http://www.halo2sucks.com/. there are many more games in the same situation, however, i am tired and do not care to list them all.

me challenging your statement and providing examples.

Track

Instead of being afraid of how ppl might respond, lets both write down what we believe to be true as the truth without flaming or regard for another person's beliefs.

completey and utterly foolish. need i say more?

Homer
                    it is not "being afraid", it is a simple case of having respect for others who may share a different view. it is also for when one does object to your statement, it doenst make you look like a lying fool

me clarifying my intentions as well as giving you a piece of advice. you ignore me. End of disscusion.

---------------------------------------------

there are more i can dig up if you would like some more evidence. feel free to dispute this if you would like.
                    « Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 03:48:24 PM by homer »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »
                      Completely arbitrary and wrong rejectment of Everything that I have said with absolutely nothing incriminating.

Track
                      Just because u think something is right dosen't make it so

Me pointing out how stupid u are.

Hopefully this vicious and pathetic attack has has diminished the hate u seem to have towards me.

"End of Discussion"

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:14:12 PM by Track »