Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another I need help with buying a comp thread  (Read 9606 times)

GX1_Man

Re: Another I need help with buying a comp thread
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
Well, I don't see this as an attack. How about working toward a logical resolution of the differences?

The "Proph" thing to do is announce that one is going to take their toys and go home. I think this discussion has merit, as long as egos don't get in the way.  ;)

Me pointing out how stupid u are.

Name calling is not the way to go there, Track.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:30:28 PM by GX1_Man »

homer

Expert
    « Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 06:11:03 PM »
    Track i never said you were a criminal, nor do i hate you. i would just like to see you claim responsibility for your own words and accept the fact that you are wrong sometimes. i have not seen one apology, one correction, or one word admitting you were wrong. instead you tend to argue on and on, and then try to backup your statements, and if your statements cannot possibly be backed up, you try and justify them.

Just because u think something is right dosen't make it so
    maybe not, but i know just enough about life to differentiate between right and wrong. i know where i stand, and if one makes a statement or acts in a way i think is wrong, i will object to it.

please, emphasize on this. how do you think im stupid?

also, my last post was NOT a "viscious and pathetic" attack on you. i merely gave you the evidence that you so desired. Track, please, all i ask for is that you start taking responsiblity for your own words.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 06:11:28 PM by homer »

Sinkhan

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »
    Hey...can we sort of stop this? All I wanted was some advice on buying a computer. Not to start a riot.

Let's go from the beginning and start over, shall we? That'd be nice.

Anyways, I'm still unsure as to what processor or vid card I should get. I've already ironed out my PC to something like this:

CPU (Undecided)
    Motherboard (Depandant on CPU and GPU)
    1 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM
    250 GB SATAII 16MB HD (Seagate, W.D, Maxtor. Does brand really matter?
    Video Card (Undecided)
    DVD +/- RW
    19" 8ms or lower refresh rate (Samsung, LG, Benq)
    Mouse, K.B, speakers etc...

CPU: I'm really starting to consider the AMD X2 4600+ Dual Core. It's about $10 cheaper than the Core 2 Duo E6400 and it's almost universally accepted that AMDs are the choice for a gaming PC, which I guess is what my computer is going to do seeing as I'm not going to be doing much work with movies or such.

However, I'm not too familiar with the AMD line so could someone give me a quick rundown of the pros and cons of the X2 Dual-Core line compared to the Core 2 Duo along with maybe if it's worth getting a 2000 Mhz FSB at the loss of 1 MB of L2 cache compared to the Intel Chips.

GPU: Again, it seems like I'm going to lean towards nVidia's GeForce over the Radeon series. What would be a mid-ranged ard with a comparable price and power to the X1600 (of course, if the price is the same and the power is higher, then of course I'll take that suggestion  ::) )? I'm looking at the 7600 GS/GT (BTW, is GT or GS better?)

But for whichever way I go, does it really matter what manufacturer I choose? It looks like Diamond is good for ATI and BFG for nVidia, and Asus for both.

Thanks for all the advice up to now.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
      my apologizes Sinkhan. track and i will continue our discussion via PM.

Sinkhan

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 06:47:10 AM »
      That's alright.

Does anyone else have some suggestions for CPU, GPU and then an appropriate mtrbd for both? I'm planning on buying my computer on the 26th since it's boxing day and most places have deals.

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »
        I'm pretty sure that the 4300 wouldn't be as good as the 6700. If you accounting for the fact that it will be overclockable to a bit higher than the 6700, the 6700 could itself be overclocked.

At stock speeds the E4400* is only 2.0Ghz, while the E6700 is 2.66Ghz.
        The E4400 has a 10x multiplier and the E6700 has a 10x multiplier.
        What does this mean? That they can overclock to the EXACT same speeds.
        And since the E4400 should cost 133$ while the E6700 costs over 500$, i think u can see why the E4400 or E4300 for that matter, since it can overclock way past 3.0Ghz aswell (wich is all that matters), are much better than the E6700, wich is a horrible waste of money.

I don't understand how this works. I thought the multiplier was how many times faster the CPU was than a base amount (FSB). From what I can deduce the E4400 would be 200Mhz x 10 = 2.00Ghz and the E6700 would be 266Mhz x 10 = 2.66Ghz. I don't really see how having the same multiplier means that they can both overclock to the exact same speeds. I would have thought the E6700 would give more performance per each multiplier than the E4400? And a super multiplier is not very useful with a slow FSB, so raw clock speed is not all that matters. I thought graphics cards were all that mattered anyway..
        « Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 03:52:47 PM by Neil »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »
          I'm pretty sure that the 4300 wouldn't be as good as the 6700. If you accounting for the fact that it will be overclockable to a bit higher than the 6700, the 6700 could itself be overclocked.

At stock speeds the E4400* is only 2.0Ghz, while the E6700 is 2.66Ghz.
          The E4400 has a 10x multiplier and the E6700 has a 10x multiplier.
          What does this mean? That they can overclock to the EXACT same speeds.
          And since the E4400 should cost 133$ while the E6700 costs over 500$, i think u can see why the E4400 or E4300 for that matter, since it can overclock way past 3.0Ghz aswell (wich is all that matters), are much better than the E6700, wich is a horrible waste of money.

I don't understand how this works. I thought the multiplier was how many times faster the CPU was than a base amount (FSB). From what I can deduce the E4400 would be 200Mhz x 10 = 2.00Ghz and the E6700 would be 266Mhz x 10 = 2.66Ghz. I don't really see how having the same multiplier means that they can both overclock to the exact same speeds. I would have thought the E6700 would give more performance per each multiplier than the E4400? And a super multiplier is not very useful with a slow FSB, so raw clock speed is not all that matters. I thought graphics cards were all that mattered anyway..

You can overclock the FSB. Thats the whole point.
          That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »

CPU: I'm really starting to consider the AMD X2 4600+ Dual Core. It's about $10 cheaper than the Core 2 Duo E6400 and it's almost universally accepted that AMDs are the choice for a gaming PC, which I guess is what my computer is going to do seeing as I'm not going to be doing much work with movies or such.

However, I'm not too familiar with the AMD line so could someone give me a quick rundown of the pros and cons of the X2 Dual-Core line compared to the Core 2 Duo along with maybe if it's worth getting a 2000 Mhz FSB at the loss of 1 MB of L2 cache compared to the Intel Chips.

The Core 2 Duo series is by far better than the Athlon 64 X2 series. For a long time the Athlon 64 and 64 X2 CPUs have dominated gaming with their superior performance in comparison to Pentiums.
            But now, 5 months after their release, ppl who once has Athlons in their PCs are starting to be aware of the wonder that is Core 2 Duos.

The E6400 is abt as powerfull as the FX-60, wich is more powerfull than any Athlon 64 X2.
            The E6400 can overclock to speeds of above 3.2Ghz, effectively making it the most powerfull CPU on earth.

No AMD CPU can compete with the Core 2 Duos, and i believe i have been saying that for a while.

GPU: Again, it seems like I'm going to lean towards nVidia's GeForce over the Radeon series. What would be a mid-ranged ard with a comparable price and power to the X1600 (of course, if the price is the same and the power is higher, then of course I'll take that suggestion  ::) )? I'm looking at the 7600 GS/GT (BTW, is GT or GS better?)

X1600 Pro = 7300 GT
            X1650 XT = 7600 GT

X800GTO - 100$
            X1800GTO - 120$
            7900 GS - 175$
            X1950 Pro - 200$
            X1950XT - 250$

Those are ur choices. 7600 GT is abt 140$+ and its not even close to any of the GPUs with mentioned prices.

But for whichever way I go, does it really matter what manufacturer I choose? It looks like Diamond is good for ATI and BFG for nVidia, and Asus for both.

Thanks for all the advice up to now.

Choose the cheapest one, as it really dosent matter.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »
              Track i never said you were a criminal, nor do i hate you. i would just like to see you claim responsibility for your own words and accept the fact that you are wrong sometimes. i have not seen one apology, one correction, or one word admitting you were wrong. instead you tend to argue on and on, and then try to backup your statements, and if your statements cannot possibly be backed up, you try and justify them.

Just because u think something is right dosen't make it so
              maybe not, but i know just enough about life to differentiate between right and wrong. i know where i stand, and if one makes a statement or acts in a way i think is wrong, i will object to it.

please, emphasize on this. how do you think im stupid?

also, my last post was NOT a "viscious and pathetic" attack on you. i merely gave you the evidence that you so desired. Track, please, all i ask for is that you start taking responsiblity for your own words.

Alright this is getting eratating..

First u tell me that u think u see me being wrong and not saying so..
              Alright, if u have the proof then i guess i will admit to being wrong.. i have no problem with that.

But u dont have any proof.. u just write stuff down with nothing to back it up.

Then i ask for proof and u give me a 12 page article where u arbitrarily discard my quotes. You just say "no, thats not right", "nope, that was a wrong statement" and "there u are being wrong AGAIN".

So then i tell u that just because u think im wrong, and just because u think that i dont apologize for being wrong DOSENT MAKE IT SO!

Do u know what proof is? Its where u show that i was wrong and did not apologize being a reasonable doubt.. not u saying "there! there u should have said u were sorry". If i dont agree to that then all it is is arbitrary and pointless and it looks like an attack on me.

So OBVIOUSLY talking to u is pointless. Not only that but where do u get the nerve to come to me and tell me that im wrong and that i dont apologize??

I know more abt PC hardware then anyone else on this forum and i only try to help.. try and do a very good job of it. So for u to just come to me and accuse me of not saying that i was sorry abt saying that something costs 25$ when it actually costs 30$ and then trying to brake down my personality and saying "after u lie u start talking with good grammer" is completely out of line!.. well gee maybe u have a hard time understand it but i always have good grammer.

So im sick of this, and im sick of ur accusations. If u dont like something that i said and its not braking the precious forum rules, u can take it up with someone else. "stealing is wrong", again i dont care what u think.

Some ppl..  >:(

homer

Expert
                « Reply #39 on: December 24, 2006, 01:08:59 PM »
                my apologizes Sinkhan. [highlight]track and i will continue our discussion via PM.[/highlight]

GX1_Man

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »
                [highlight]I know more abt PC hardware then anyone else on this forum [/highlight]and i only try to help.. try and do a very good job of it. So for u to just come to me and accuse me of not saying that i was sorry abt saying that something costs 25$ when it actually costs 30$ and then trying to brake down my personality and saying "after u lie u start talking with good grammer" is completely out of line!.. well gee maybe u have a hard time understand it but i always have good grammer.

Track, you are the one being ridiculous about this whole thing and the statement above is a perfect example of your ego getting in the way of your facts. Remember less than two months ago when you were scared to even try to change out a power supply?

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1163808835

Here's the gist of it:

My question is this - what are the chances of me, err ah.. not burning into a fukcing crisp while trying to install the new PSU? I was told "DONT GO NEAR THE PSU.. idiot" because its dangeous (something with volts and amps.. its all very technical), but im too proud.... and cheap, to get someone else to do it.. so can anyone give me a ball-park estimate here?

Your response to those trying to help seemed out of line also.

SO clearly you are NOT the most knowledgable person about PC hardware on the forum. In my lifetime I have noted that anyone who states they are an expert about anything usually isn't. It is usually others who can make this statement accurately.

It's ironic you talk about good grammar, but read that last sentence in the first quote above one more time:

and then trying to brake down my personality and saying "after u lie u start talking with good grammer" is completely out of line!.. well gee maybe u have a hard time understand it but i always have good grammer.

The grammar used is, in fact, poor, to say the least, but I am not not here to be your English teacher. Just accept the fact that you are mistaken on this count also. There are at least seven errors in one sentence. This one isn't even debatable.

I think this is all that Homer was referring to with the "admitting you are wrong and just taking responsibility for your words" remarks he made.

We appreciate the knowledge you do have, Chris, but please leave the ego at the door. It doesn't become you, and your tirades and name calling like above are not fitting for the Christmas season especially, and probably not ever. Take a deep breath and think this one through.

And now back to the original thread, which is already in progress.

Peace on earth. Good will towards men. Merry Christmas.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:09:34 PM by GX1_Man »

Sinkhan

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2006, 05:54:51 PM »
                I never thought my humble visit to these forums would cause such trouble...

Anyways, I've sifted through most of the catalogues and what not from a company that I find is fairly cheap and has good policies. I've come down to two systems:

A custom built one with separate parts all chosen:

AMD X2 4200+ Dual-Core ($199.99)
                ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 ($112.99)
                Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16M ($88.99)
                Kingston 1GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM ($139.99)
                BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB ($179.99)
                19" LCD Samsung Monitor ($199.99)
                FOXCONN TLA-776 w/ 400W PSU (ATX Supported) ($39.99)
                $20 Modem
                $10 Disk Drive
                $30 Assembly

+14% Taxes

OR

This System from the same company as a special offer for $599.99 plus $200 monitor. I plan to add a stick of 512 MB RAM and see if I can change the 3800+ to a 4200+

So, which offer should I get?

BTW, these are all Canadian dollars so I really don't want to be flamed on how expensive these computers are or how I'm getting ripped off.

Thanks everyone

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 06:01:12 PM »
                  I believe I have already stated that I am in fact studying English, and yes I do believe that my English is no where near "poor". If your point is that I can make mistakes some times when people get on my nerves, then you really havn't said much, and for a person who hasn't spoken or wrote much English up until recently for 7 years (or since the 5th grade) I think I have done pretty darn well.

No one understood the PSU remark, I don't know why. It was a joke, and I was of course never trying to hurt anyone. Moreover I actually have learned a lifetime's worth of knowledge regarding PSUs in the last few weeks because I have taken it on myself to find the best PSU for my PC. Thats how I work.

I am in no way egotistical when I claim to be the most knowleged man amongst you, when it comes to PC hardware, and I will say over again that I do NOT know everything, I DO continue to learn everyday and I do NOT think that I am never wrong, and if I am wrong I will admit it because there is no point otherwise. But when I have written an entire article about something and someone comes up to me and tells me that I am wrong about a stupid little fact (wich I am not) and then claims that I "never" confess to being wrong (as if he knows me at all) is rude, uncalled for and a vicious and un-just attack, wich I will NOT accept.

Hopefully everyone is appeased. I only want the best for all, Happy Hanuka!

-Chris
                  « Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 06:04:45 PM by Track »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2006, 06:07:39 PM »
                    I never thought my humble visit to these forums would cause such trouble...

Anyways, I've sifted through most of the catalogues and what not from a company that I find is fairly cheap and has good policies. I've come down to two systems:

A custom built one with separate parts all chosen:

AMD X2 4200+ Dual-Core ($199.99)
                    ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 ($112.99)
                    Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16M ($88.99)
                    Kingston 1GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM ($139.99)
                    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB ($179.99)
                    19" LCD Samsung Monitor ($199.99)
                    FOXCONN TLA-776 w/ 400W PSU (ATX Supported) ($39.99)
                    $20 Modem
                    $10 Disk Drive
                    $30 Assembly

+14% Taxes

OR

This System from the same company as a special offer for $599.99 plus $200 monitor. I plan to add a stick of 512 MB RAM and see if I can change the 3800+ to a 4200+

So, which offer should I get?

BTW, these are all Canadian dollars so I really don't want to be flamed on how expensive these computers are or how I'm getting ripped off.

Thanks everyone

Problems are like mistakes - they are positive as long as they are resolved.

It is on the fortune of the stupid that they shall not enjoy the riches of the smart man, for he knows what is good.. But I cannot see u buying that AMD processor. Core 2 Duo is the only way to go.