Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Properties tabs  (Read 2444 times)

C2007

File Properties tabs
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »
How can I copy a file with the summary tab data located in file properties?  Copy will tell you that the summary data will be lost on the copy file.  Also how can I add the summary tab to files properties that do not have the summary tab?  Can it also be added to folder properties (folder properties do not have summary tabs)?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: File Properties tabs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:35:25 AM »
Specifically, what application are you talking about?  I would guess you may be talking about Microsoft Word.  If so, I find that copying a Word file from one folder to another does not result in loss of any data in file Properties, nor does it display any warning that the summary data will be lost.  So, we need more details from you to try to make sense of your question.

C2007

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
Almost any file you find in a directory.  I downnload many files from the net, I usually copy part of the web page description of the file copied to the file properties, summary tab, comments that I saved on my drive.  After awhile, I got so many files and I don't know what they do.  By putting this description in the summary tab, I have a hint of what it does.  But if you then copy these file to another drive, you lose the summary tab data.  Sometimes the file properties do not contain the summary tab nor does appear in all folder properties.  My second question is, can I add the summary tab to file or folder properties? Recently I came across a progam called folder size from PC World downloads.  It not only put folder size data in explorer but it also showed me how to change the explorer information screen in adding or deleting what is displayed.  My screen now shows the folder size and Comments (obtained from the file properties).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
I just make small text files with info dates etc and save them within the archive.

If you cannot open the archive then just save it as a folder with the text file included...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

C2007

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
But this method does not display the Summary tab, Comment in Explorer.  This problem has never been properly addressed by MS.  During the DOS period, there was a program called DDIR which created a DIR list file with comments.  Then a magazine download, PC Notes 1 and 2, did a similar thing for windows.  But none really interacted with Explorer.  Explorer will display over a dozen items about a file, if programed, from the data in the tabs in file properties.  By chance, I copied a few programs, grouped copy, to another disk and one of files still contained the Summary data.  This made me think that there must be a way to do this to all files.  
Thanks for your comment.