Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What will VISTA do for you?  (Read 4427 times)

GX1_Man

What will VISTA do for you?
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »
I am still interested in any answers to the question "What will Vista allow you to do that you CANNOT do now with XP (or earlier) besides DirectX 10 and compatibility with future games? How will you become more productive? (I guess that assumes it is your goal.)

I think an area for Vista would be interesting to watch. Maybe a separate little area for aplications and hardware that will no longer function. How much you had to spend to get your machine (or a new machine) to run it.

Please carefully think out your answers. "It's kewl" is missing the point of the question.  ;)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: What will VISTA do for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:47:55 PM »
Here is a small list of some of the features not found in other versions of Windows that I found nice (these were also posted on the new Vista page slowly getting created).

* Windows Aero, a completely new GUI and unlike any previous version of Windows.
    * Basic file backup and restore.
    * Improved DVD support with the ability to easily create custom DVD movies.
    * Easy transfer, a feature that allows you to easily transfer files from an older computer to the new computer.
    * File encryption.
    * Instant search available through all Explorer windows.
    * Support for DirectX 10.
    * Self-healing, the ability to automatically detect and correct problems that may be encountered on the computer.
    * Shadow copy, a feature that allows you to recover deleted files.
    * Improved photo gallery and control of photographs.
    * Windows Sidebar and gadgets that allows you to add an almost endless list of different gadgets.
    * More parental control.
    * Improved Windows Calendar, with the ability to set tasks and appointments.
    * And much more.

The widgets are pretty interesting, fun, and amazingly even useful. Really like the ability to show the sidebar (showing the widgets) anywhere in Windows. The search ability almost everywhere including on the actual Start bar is also very useful.

Unfortunately however driver support (at least for the majority of computers here) is still lacking. I was hoping that after beta it would be better but still have one computer without sound (no c-media vista drivers at all), another computer with issues with the SiS chipset on a motherboard, and another with ATI drivers (or at least what Windows Vista is reporting), think it's also another chipset issue.

REALLY dislike all the prompting for entering sections such as Device Manager (ie: clicking on the Device Manager, you get a prompt asking if Windows has your permission to enter Device Manager). Sure however this can be disabled, and once I can play around with Vista some more instead of doing all the troubleshooting I'll figure it out. ;)

At the moment that's the best description I can give you, unfortunately most of the time I've spent with it now is installing it on computers and updating Computer Hope information.

Hope that gives you something of what you were looking for.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:04:13 AM »
Have you tried to RDP from Vista yet, Nathan?  Oh. My. Goodness.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:10:31 AM »
Have you tried to RDP from Vista yet, Nathan?  Oh. My. Goodness.
Nope have not yet had a chance to play with that.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
<sarcasm>
  Oh you'll love it.
</sarcasm>

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »
Here, I have highlighted everything that I think is very useful to me, and everything that is useful to the avarage home user

Here is a small list of some of the features not found in other versions of Windows that I found nice (these were also posted on the new Vista page slowly getting created).

* Windows Aero, a completely new GUI and unlike any previous version of Windows.
    *[highlight] Basic file backup and restore.[/highlight]
   [highlight] * Improved DVD support with the ability to easily create custom DVD movies.[/highlight]
    * Easy transfer, a feature that allows you to easily transfer files from an older computer to the new computer.
[highlight]    * File encryption.[/highlight]
[highlight]    * Instant search available through all Explorer windows.[/highlight]
[highlight]    * Support for DirectX 10.[/highlight]
    [highlight]* Self-healing, the ability to automatically detect and correct problems that may be encountered on the computer.[/highlight]   [highlight] * Shadow copy, a feature that allows you to recover deleted files.[/highlight]    * Improved photo gallery and control of photographs.
    * Windows Sidebar and gadgets that allows you to add an almost endless list of different gadgets.
    * More parental control.
    * And much more.

The widgets are pretty interesting, fun, and amazingly even useful. Really like the ability to show the sidebar (showing the widgets) anywhere in Windows. The search ability almost everywhere including on the actual Start bar is also very useful.

Unfortunately however driver support (at least for the majority of computers here) is still lacking. I was hoping that after beta it would be better but still have one computer without sound (no c-media vista drivers at all), another computer with issues with the SiS chipset on a motherboard, and another with ATI drivers (or at least what Windows Vista is reporting), think it's also another chipset issue.

REALLY dislike all the prompting for entering sections such as Device Manager (ie: clicking on the Device Manager, you get a prompt asking if Windows has your permission to enter Device Manager). Sure however this can be disabled, and once I can play around with Vista some more instead of doing all the troubleshooting I'll figure it out. ;)

At the moment that's the best description I can give you, unfortunately most of the time I've spent with it now is installing it on computers and updating Computer Hope information.

Hope that gives you something of what you were looking for.
thats what I think

Why would Windows need your permission to enter the device manager?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 04:28:12 PM »
Cause Gates thinks you don't need permission, you don't belong in there or you'll muck it up...

Not neccessarily in that order.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 03:53:14 AM »
Actually from the way I understand it, it's to help prevent malware from attempting to modify system settings without your approval. You get the same prompt in many areas, Device Manager, registry, etc. Information about disabling it is found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000937.htm

Unfortunately as mentioned in that document the Windows Security Center always reports it as being disabled once done.
-Albert Einstein

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 04:00:26 AM »
Here, I have highlighted everything that I think is very useful to me, and everything that is useful to the avarage home user

*[highlight] Basic file backup and restore.[/highlight]
   [highlight] * Improved DVD support with the ability to easily create custom DVD movies.[/highlight]
[highlight]    * File encryption.[/highlight]
[highlight]    * Instant search available through all Explorer windows.[/highlight]
[highlight]    * Support for DirectX 10.[/highlight]
    [highlight]* Self-healing, the ability to automatically detect and correct problems that may be encountered on the computer.[/highlight]   [highlight] * Shadow copy, a feature that allows you to recover deleted files.[/highlight]    * Improved photo gallery and control of photographs.
    * More parental control.
    * And much more.

I couldn't find anything there to remotely interest me.  ::)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 04:02:41 AM »
I would imagine that's the case with most users. Probably what will end up happening is most users will hold off and the upgrade until purchasing their next computer that has it pre-installed.
-Albert Einstein

chriscool9

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
       * Shadow copy, a feature that allows you to recover deleted files.
    That is without a doubt the worst feature ever! It just defeats the whole point of deleting something off your P.C/Laptop!
    Or maybe im missing something?!

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 04:24:13 PM »
    Well actually when you delete a file in Windows, some other OS's, and many programs it's actually not really deleted it's just moved and hidden until overwritten. I would imagine that Microsoft included this feature as yet another *user friendly* feature for those users that mistakenly delete something, said ok to delete it, and emptied the trash.
    -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »
    Regarding the Vista security prompts we were talking about earlier. I happen to catch this Apple Macintosh commercial on the Internet today and although I'm not a fan for the commercials, this one definitely had some truth to it and made me laugh.

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-security_480x376.mov
    « Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:28:31 PM by admin »
    -Albert Einstein

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
    I am also not a fan of those commercials, but I guess it is the truth
    lol
    I just cant help but to think of the more possibilities with a PC comapired to an upgradeless Mac

But then again, Macs work better for some people

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-773770276749807883&q=apple+mac&hl=en (PG 14) (Thats not my link, I belive it was Dilber who originally posted this link)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:37:29 PM by zylstra555 »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:25 PM »
    After reading Windows Vista: Features Explained: Shadow Copy, I think Shadow Copy might be a good thing for many users.  Apparently, the feature can be turned off, just as many services can be turned off in Win XP.  So, Vista users who do not want to use the feature have the option of turning it off.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
    I must say one thing:
    Ol MS DOS came with a quite-good file recovery tool, and quite frankly, it probably works with XP anyways.

Other than that:
    http://www.recuva.com/

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 07:30:48 AM »
    Well, how many Windows users today know DOS commands?  Very few.  

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
      I'm happy to say I'm among the 5% of users today who are mildly capable of using DOS:
      http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1158879675

;D
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
      I know very little.
      And by the way . . . nice find with the recuva software, Zylstra555.
      Saw it the other day, thought it looked pretty interesting . . . from the same company that did CCleaner, right?

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
      And, I see they have a forum section devoted to recuva: http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showforum=16

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
      I'm happy to say I'm among the 5% of users today who are mildly capable of using DOS: http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1158879675

Quick - someone put a pin in Tim's head before it EXPLODES!   :P

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
      I'm happy to say I'm among the 5% of users today who are mildly capable of using DOS:
      http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1158879675

;D
      I am also very capible of DOS, I grew up with it, and still use it on occasion  ;D

Recuva is from the same company that made Ccleaner

I am so glad its free, better than that Symantec stuff...