Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power turns on after 5 secs from powering down  (Read 2074 times)

Parallax

Power turns on after 5 secs from powering down
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »
I have windows XP, and I just installed a ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800Pro Socket 939 Motherboard - AGP8X and a 550 watt power supply. Everything is working great but I can't power down my computer because it automatically turns on after about 5 secs of turning off. I have been removing the cord at night for the power supply after it shuts down, but this is getting tedious. Any advice?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Power turns on after 5 secs from powering down
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
I'm sure you are.. but just in case make sure you're shutting down the computer and not putting the computer into any power savings mode or hibernate mode.

If you're shutting down the computer it's likely something such as a phone, network, or other device is powering up the computer. I would check your CMOS and disable all power on / wake features. Information about entering CMOS setup can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Parallax

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:30:48 AM »
Going into the bios and disabling the power setting worked. Thank you

dios

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Help i have the same problem as well, and i done everything in the BIOS that you said but my computer still turns it self on and its getting really annoying.  :'(

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
    dios ...Please start your own thread.......... you will get a better response.

Thank you ,

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.