Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TRACKPAD  (Read 3757 times)

koolaidadz09

TRACKPAD
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
I have a less than 2 month old Acer Aspire 5100-3357 notebook (with Vista Premium).  The track pad has been fine until all of a sudden i turned it on one day and it worked for a second or two and then just stopped.  The scroll pad and the two clickers do not work at all.  I tried uninstalling the drivers and re installing, updating, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  In the driver manager it says "This driver is working properly" but it's obviously not.  Does anyone have any ideas???

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: TRACKPAD
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:24 PM »
If the trackpad has never worked in Vista it's likely a driver related issue make sure you're downloading Vista drivers and/or that they are available. Unfortunately there are still hardware manufacturers who do not have Vista support for all their hardware.

If it has worked in Vista in the past I'd first recommend you disconnect any mouse connected to the laptop (for example, disconnecting any PS/2 or USB mouse) recommend that you verify the trackpad is enable in CMOS. Additional information about getting into CMOS can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

If the enabled in CMOS because you've already re-installed the drivers unfortunately I'd say that the touchpad is bad. However, it's still a small possibility that it could be some type of driver incompatibility or confliction with Vista. I'd suggest either reinstalling XP onto the computer if you don't believe it is a hardware issue and/or contacting Acer for recommendations on repair.

Additionally if these solutions don't help, you could also do the workaround with just using an external mouse instead of the touchpad.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein