Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Very peculiar issue  (Read 8162 times)

vindi

Very peculiar issue
« on: September 22, 2007, 08:36:48 PM »
Hello.
I have just finished putting my new computer together, all stoked about probing this 2.66 dual core processor and all and when I turn the computer on, all I get is everything running in the computer, except for the fact that the LCD screen will remain in the standby mode. Another words, as if the monitor was disconnected. I have tried G-Force 8800 and G-Force 7600 and lastly pc-express G-Force 5200 and none resolved the issue. I even tried, besides the DVI output, to use a VGA adapter. Pretty frustrating. I have no idea what is going on with that thing. Any ideas or experiences?

truckyme

Re: Very peculiar issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »
is your video card hooked up correctly? can your power supply provide the power?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »
    if the video card is an addon make sure your monitor is plugged into the addon card not the onboard card

vindi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »
    hey there. thanks for advices. the graphic card is hooked up properly, i tried two cards, 7800 and 5200 and both do not work, no onboard graphics. the power supply will produce 550W. I have noticed that my mobo receives 500 and 667mhz memory. i have 4gb of 800mhz memory, could that be a issue guys? thanks a lot

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »
      it might dl memtest86

Mastodont

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
        Memory sticks should be backwards compatibile - if they are capable of working at 800 MHz, they can also work at lower speeds. Maybe if you want to use an add-on graphics card, you must disable the on-board one first by setting jumpers or in the BIOS?

vindi

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »
        Memory sticks should be backwards compatibile - if they are capable of working at 800 MHz, they can also work at lower speeds. Maybe if you want to use an add-on graphics card, you must disable the on-board one first by setting jumpers or in the BIOS?
        obviously I cant get to BIOS because the screen is dead. Are you referring to the BIOS mobo settings, where there are six pins and so you can change it that way? I am pretty sure there is no onboard graphics tho. This is the kind of mobo I have:INTEL D975XBX This indeed is a peculiar issue, moreover when you say that it is not because of the ram speed, which I was almost about to buy a new one. I did not know that the higher speed rams can sort of adjust to the lower speed. Well..

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
          Pull one of the sticks out and see if it boots.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:30:18 PM »
          I did not know that the higher speed rams can sort of adjust to the lower speed. Well..

Some can, some cannot...travel to crucial.com to find out exactly which RAM your machine prefers.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

vindi

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 03:14:45 PM »
          Pull one of the sticks out and see if it boots.

Alan <><  :D
          no, it doesnt boot :( when I take out one of the sticks.
          The website does not have Corsair listed. It is Corsair  XMS2 extreme.
          I have listened to the computer now several times and always after about five to ten seconds after I turn it on it makes a 'click' sound and it sounds mechanical, not digital. Maybe I should try to take out and put back the cpu? I have noticed that the frame of the cpu fan is cracked, but it works flawlessly and I do not think it should have any connection to the issue. What do you guys think?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
            sounds like maybe a harddrive problem go to the maker of your hdd and dl the tool to check it

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »

The brand for now doesn't matter...what type and speed of RAM did crucial list for your machine ? ?
            This is the important info...

Mastodont

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
              I did not know that the higher speed rams can sort of adjust to the lower speed
              It is not the RAM that chooses its speed but the motherboard's chipset that dictates it. As far as I know, the given speed of RAM (in this case 800 MHz) is the highest speed at which the manufacturer claims it will work stable (and not the only speed).
              Are you referring to the BIOS mobo settings, where there are six pins and so you can change it that way?
              No, I was refering to the jumpers with which one can disable onboard video or sound cards that I know occur in some motherboards. But since Your mobo has no onboard video card, there is obviously nothing to disable. However, these jumpers You have mentioned should allow some setting for system configuration mode, in which the BIOS checks system configuration more thoroughly and tries to solve compatibility issues. I am not sure about that but maybe this could help. Probably You could find more reliable info on that in the mobo's manual.
              Maybe You could try putting the graphics card to another PCI-e slot? Maybe one of them is not working properly for some reason?
              And the last idea - perhaps it's the monitor and not the graphics card? Have you tried connecting the system to a different one?
              Good luck.

vindi

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »

The brand for now doesn't matter...what type and speed of RAM did crucial list for your machine ? ?
              This is the important info...
              it says it can run any kind of DDR2 memory, no matter what speed it is, as you guys said. To the hard drive issue - I though the system was to boot even with no hard drive at all, at least to BIOS. So now I know it is not the graphic card, it is not the memory or the power supply, so it could be faulty CPU or chipset or  the entire motherboard. Hm.. I have also heard about this PC diagnostics card that is capable of rendering the problems, which arise when you turn on the computer. The monitor works, I am using my laptop in the meantime, so I know it works.
              Well, another thing that came to my mind. Could that be because I am using a AVG to DVI converter on the graphic card output (I am using a VGA cable therefore)? Because I have only a 18 pin DVI cable and that did not work so I figured I would get a converter, because the 24 pin DVI cable runs over 20 bucks and I am just about to run out of my budget.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 05:05:51 PM »
              I believe the problem may likely lie in your last paragraph...