Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: comp shuts off during install (XP disc)  (Read 8496 times)

Adwill9

comp shuts off during install (XP disc)
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:11:11 AM »
I've encountered an odd problem... I had a computer with my sister's copy of windows xp on it, which worked great for the 30 days of trial (lost the registration key). After a month, I attempted to install a different copy of xp on it (didn't do any formatting or anything). Booting from disk, I was able to do the preliminary stages of windows install, and then it needed to restart... so I restarted, it posts, goes through bios, and after a screen which said "Windows install is restarting" (or something to that effect), it instantly shuts off.

I found that if I didn't insert the install disk, it would boot up and get to the windows install menu (the one that takes 39 minutes, or whatever), and sit there prompting me to insert the install disk. As soon as I inserted the disk (ANY disk, actually... install, audio, data) it would spin for half a second and then instantly shut off.

I suspected either a faulty disc drive, or maybe a dual-OS-booting problem.... so I tried a different cd drive with a different hard drive (HD had data on it but no OS), and same problem.....

...Thoughts?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: comp shuts off during install (XP disc)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:53:32 PM »
If the computer shuts off I'd assume it has something to do with the computer being shut off because it's overheating. I'd suggest checking all the fans and making sure that they're properly working.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Adwill9

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
understandable, but the issue only occurs when a disc is inserted.  It will sit at the install screen (prompting me to insert disc) presumably forever (I've only waited 2-3 mins).   As stated above, as soon as I insert any disc... *click*.... off...   :'(

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »
Hmm. Well after that's been re-explained to me that doesn't seem like an overheating issue. Is this part of the setup that is asking to create a setup diskette and/or can this portion of the setup be skipped?

Unfortunately I've never encountered this issue and was not able to find anything even close to what could be causing this issue. Generally when an issue occurs with the setup it restarts the computer or gives an error and doesn't turn off the computer.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Adwill9

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
When I boot, there's a blue-green screen, with text in the upper left corner that says something like "Setup is being restarted" ).  If the CD is in at that point it clicks off instantly.  If not, it gets to the Windows install screen, prompts to insert CD, then shuts off.  Very confused.  Very frustrated!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
I'm assuming this is standard XP CD and not an OEM XP setup CD, like a CD from DELL or HP or something.

Otherwise I'm assuming you're encountering some type of hardware related issue.

First, make sure all external devices (scanners, printers, etc. are disconnected). In addition any extra storage devices like USB drives, Tape drives, etc. Disconnect them as well.

Next, how big is the hard drive you're trying in the computer? If the new hard disk drive is 200+GB and your previous hard drive was a lot smaller you may need a BIOS update. Also how are the jumpers set on the hard drive. If set as Master have you tried setting them as CS or cable select?

It's also possible that the computer memory in the computer may have issues with it that is causing the setup to fail. I'd suggest trying to test the memory. Information about how to test the computer memory can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000708.htm

Get the memtest86 program and try running it on the computer.

Finally, I did read some pages that the video card can cause this issue to happen. What type of video card do you have and if you have access to another video card have you tried it.
-Albert Einstein

Adwill9

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:25:18 AM »
actually the original install WAS a dell XP disc. 

the hard drive is 250 gb, however it was working before

I'm using the onboard video, as video is not important to me at all

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:40 AM »
It is looking for Dell Hardware still...when it doesn't find it it wants a re-install.
Welcome to copy-protection...
If you have a valid XP CD then boot to a floppy do a full format and re-boot with the XP CD in and do a clean install.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
Patio from the sounds of it, he seems to have just replaced the HDD. I don't think the DELL XP CD would be that critical about a HDD replacement would it?
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
That's true. A HDD replacement wouldn't do this. The only thing that made me think of that was the fact he tried the install with 2 different XP CD's.
If it's not a Dell there may still be remnants of the Dell install that are triggering this.

Adwill9

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »
With a USB-PS2 adapter on my keyboad, I was able to wipe the drive with Darik's Boot And Nuke.  I started the Windows install before I left for work this morning... I have my fingers crossed that it will be OK when I get home.
Thanks again for all the help, this forum rules!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
At least with Darik's we'll know there will be a clean drive to start from ! !

Adwill9

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »
Grrr..... Darik's worked, but still have the same problem with shutting down.  On startup, the windows logo appears with the progress bar zipping across the screen, then it gets to the windows install screen, where it says "estimated 39 minutes" for install.  Prompts me to put in the disc (or hit OK to load from floppy), and as soon as I insert the disc (any disc) it shuts off.  The light on my cd drive flashes 10-15 times, then, *click*, shuts off.

To reiterate, I've tried this with both a different CD drive and different hard drive.   I also don't have a floppy drive.....

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:49 AM »
If this is the case then i think we are looking at a hardware issue here...

Review CH Admin's posts above and follow those steps especially the MemTest instructions...
The only other thing that comes to mind would be replacing the IDE cables...they do go bad.

Let us know...

Shynnie

Intermediate

• "All I want is his whereabouts, then I'm rich"..!!
    « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »
    Hi as the Admin mantioned it could be a hardware failure... First check your rams if they are functioning well they play a roll in the shutting down of a pc during re-insatallation process.

NB: how old is your computer???????
    =============================================================

"those who know how will always work 4 those who know why"

“the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence”