Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what happened here?  (Read 18873 times)

daydreamer110761

what happened here?
« on: March 04, 2005, 01:30:21 PM »
i didn't need any help - i came to read and help - so, what happened to everyone?  no problems at all?   ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: what happened here?
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:26:50 PM »
    daydreamer110761......Dont know for sure but it's probably a issue with the server ...........I'm sure the Admin will sort it out.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

semso

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »
     ???
    I have a canon bj-200ex on an old 486dx computer running dos. when I try to print it just beeps and nothing happens, just the other day it was working fine, I checked all cables and reset the computer and the printer still nothing. any ideas?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 03:43:29 PM »
      daydreamer110761.......You might try removing the printer drivers and the n reinstall them just to see if thats the problem......Is the printer able to print a test page ?
      How old is the printer ?
      let us know
      dl65  ::)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
      YIKES  :o

Looking into it.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »
      Looks like it was related to the ongoing space issue Computer Hoe continues to encounter. ISP transferred over several gigs of raw logs causes us to exceed the disk quota. When this issue happens and posts are made because there is no disk space it resets files to 0.

I'll post additional information once I fix everything that went down.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 05:15:55 PM »
      ???
      I have a canon bj-200ex on an old 486dx computer running dos. when I try to print it just beeps and nothing happens, just the other day it was working fine, I checked all cables and reset the computer and the printer still nothing. any ideas?

Reguarding your issue, it's possible that the printer may have a hardware issue (if the printer itself is beeping). Try running a self test on the printer. Often you can press and hold down a few buttons on the front of the printer to get the self test print out. Unfortunately I don't know the combination for your printer so you will need to refer to your documentation.

If the self test doesnt work it's a hardware issue and the printer will need to either be repaired or replaced.

:-/ Looks like DL65 already suggested what I  just said. oops
      « Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 05:18:51 PM by admin »
      -Albert Einstein

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »
      ???

Out of ink or clogged might be it.

Matthew J Clark

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 06:34:43 AM »
       ??? ??? ???
      Little help please. I recently installed windows xp on my pc. It worked fine untill I turned it off. Now the only thing it does is beep. The moniter light won't even come on but the moniter is fine because it works perfect on my other pc.   CAN ANY1 HELP ME????

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 02:13:28 PM »
      Here's my opinion... Your video card might have just come loose.... Open your computer's case, and ground the static electricity from your hands by touching the inner metal frame... Next, look for, and find your video card, and push on it gently, but firmly... After, just close your computer back up again, and turn on the power... Keep in touch...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Maragtas

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 02:39:52 PM »
      Daydreamer....

Dont worry, i'll make sure i'll have more questions for you guys to answer.  I'm a complete newbie to computer fixing.  Back then, i just play games. ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 03:22:18 PM »
      on Mar 4th, 2005, 3:02pm, semso wrote:
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\>dir>lpt

markmorris321

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 05:51:10 PM »
      I have this terrible shooting pain going up my left arm to my. heart.

Any ideas?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 07:53:36 PM »
      Go to a health forum and ask them... :)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Shawn Michael

Me thinks my pc has died.
      « Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »
      Background:

Have a fairly new (about 14 months) HP desktop PC.  We moved two months ago to about an hour away.

Well, we moved all our stuff, PC included, but we stayed back in town for two more months.

Situation:

We have just gotten here, two months later, and I tried to hook up my PC again.  

Nothing.  There is a light in the back (green) that blinks.  It blinks fast until I unplug the PC, then it blinks slower and slower until nothing.

When plugged in, the front blue power button blinks at a steady pace, and when unplugged, nothing.

I can hear a faint ticking sound from the green light in the back when I take the case off.

I am not too computer literate as fair as hardware goes, but I am comfortable being able to do things if I can see what I am doing.  So any instructions that are written out step by step I feel I can follow.  I just need to read what I am doing.

I took of the case and noticed the plug itself goes into a metal box.  I see the metal box has a large group of wires and that snaps into the motherboard.  I think.  Well I unsnapped the wires from the motherboard and plugged the PC back in.  The green light turned on and stayed a steady green.  I unplugged the PC and plugged the wires back into the motherboard.  I plugged the PC back in and it went back to its blinking.

This would eliminate the metal box which I assuming is the power supply box.  (At least I think this eliminates it.)

The PC has been sitting on a shelf (not on a carpet) in a hallway for two months.  I am wondering if it sitting there for two months unplugged could have damaged it in someway.  I have no idea how.  But other than a short somewhere, I am at a loss to what is going on.

I have tried to hold in the power button, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions before I take this thing in and get completely ripped off?

Again, no fans come on, no drive lights come on, no drives accessed, no beeps, absolutely nothing but the blinking lights.

Help?  :/

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 06:08:06 PM »
      Ok.... You know... This would be a LOT easier if you made your own message, instead of using another... But... Anyway... Was this computer exposed to any heat while it was being stored? It needs to be climate controlled... Away from dust...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Shawn Michael

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 06:15:15 PM »
      Sorry about that.

It was stored in the hallway of my mother-in-laws.  She keeps her house between 69-72 degrees constantly.  We had no snow and no high temps to speak of.

When I took the case off, I didn't notice much dust at all.  I air sprayed it just to be on the safe side before I did everything I mentioned earlier, just to cover the basics.  

It did not help obviously.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »
      Well, its been sitting for about a year... (A little over) ... My guess is that maybe a component has been damaged from sitting without any use... It's like a car in a way... if you leave it sitting around without use for an extended period of time, the battery, and possibly other components go dead, or are damaged...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Shawn Michael

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 06:32:46 PM »
      Actually it has been sitting for about 2 months.  Maybe 1 weeks.

I did not realize tha sitting there would have such an effect on it.

When I take it in Friday, I hope they tell me it is just the battery.  But I am pessemistic.  I am expecting them to tell me worse.  (Hope for the best, plan for the worst.)

I only hope the hard drive can be recovered.  Thanks for trying to help.

I figured it was worth a shot.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 06:37:30 PM »
      Well, if it has only been sitting for that long, then it probably is not damaged from sitting... However, some batteries do run out like that... Here's my guess.... Your power supply has gone... I think that becuase your fans do not work, etc.... Have someone look at it... But my bet is on the power supply...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 06:59:43 PM »
        Shawn Michael...... Well if it just sat that long it would have been constantly expanding and contracting ....and then there was the physical move ..........I would be stripping out all the cards , the ram , and the cpu .......then reinstall them all ......making sure they are all properly seated and try it again .

dl65 ::)

Shawn Michael

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 01:29:25 AM »
        Hello,

Just wanted to give an update.  I went to Best Buy and had them check it out.  I told them that (ahem) "I thought it might ne the power supply."

They checked it out, tried a spare they had behind the counter, and sold me a new power supply for 52 bucks.

It was the power supply, and because it only took about 2 minutes of their time and I installed it myself, there was no charge from them to look at it.

Thanks for the help, and kudos to being right on point. (And for such a fast reply)  Gotta love that timing.

Love the site, and will continue to lurk and learn.  ::)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »
        Glad to see that we could help you Shawn!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 06:18:50 AM »
        Why does this thread stick? It never seems to go down the list.

Out of curiousity, of how many employees does Computerhope exist?
        « Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 07:24:26 AM by Raptor »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 06:54:24 AM »
        It looks like the ComputerHope employee(s) who handle the forum "stickied" it, so that it can not move down... Probably did that when we had teh problem and they later forgot about it...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

ITTechnician

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 09:40:18 AM »
        I may have a fi for you buddy.
        I have fied like 10 computers with that same problem.

The question to your answer....Can your PC sitting without being on for a long period of time effect this..... YUP!!!!

WHY? when your computer just sites still and nothing is going on, heat and a mix of cold can cause your motherboard, harddrive, pretty must devices in a computer to get corrupted drives.

When you told me about the lights I't click.

Look in your PC by a silver battery..
        Push the little switch on the battery foreward so the battery can pop out.!!

THIS IS THE FRUSTRATING and HARD PART.

If you look somewhere by your CMOS Battery.. you will see 2 tiny pins, then 3 tiny pins.

depending on your system it may be 2 pins then about 6 pins

The side with 3 pins take the little plastic covering of the pins (Jumper) move it to thheeeee ummm Right... so that the Jumper is still one of the original pins it was on, but also is on the other.

Let this sit for about 10 minutes. then move the jumper back to normal then put the CMOS Battery back on it...

This should mpst definitly work.

EXPLANATION::

When your computer first boots it boots into what is called POST (Power on Self Test) its the back screen that shows what is booting when you turn your computer on.
        The CMOST Battery contains all that info to boot.
        What may have happened during the time your computer was sitting, your CMOST may have gotten corrupted causing your conputer to just sit like a stife doing nothing.
        It wont even turn on on most NOTES. Not even a green light

Gosh this is long!!

ryan w.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 01:11:23 PM »
         My monitor just went bad after 9 months. Everything is readable but blurry (like reading newspaper without reading glasses). Color and shapes are fine. Computer is about 5 years old. Monitor problem or video card? How do I troubleshoot?

Steven Balderrama

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 10:31:18 AM »
         ??? PLEASE HELP, i Custome built my computer and when i try to install windows XP home, everything goes fine, the format, until it gets to copying files, it goes up to maybe 10% then it turns into the blue screen, and says " Windows had to shut down, please make sure you are not running disk defrag, anti-virus etc." BUT IT IS A CLEAN DISK, NOTHING ON IT AT ALL, I ALSO TRIED INSTALLING WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL, WHICH SADLY IS NOT CHEAP, AND YET STILL DOES NOT WORK, PLEASE HELP TECHS!!! : (

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »
        Your computer may be overheating. Create a seperate topic.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 12:37:40 PM »
        Also... Admin... It is not necessary to keep this topic stickied... This happened a while ago  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

darqlord

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »
        Okay...  I made the jump to a p4... prior I ran nothing but amd builds...

System specs are as follows:

p4 530
        AOpen s661fxm-7s
        1 gig pc3200 ram
        80 gig hd x2
        256 meg nvida agp
        dvdrw

Get all the components in the mail...  yay!

Quickly assemble, briefly reading directions as I go...  

After getting everything in order I fire it up...  beautiful!

Went through the 1st Post screen before I entered CMOS and took a look around... made sure my drives were in order, boot sequence was correct...

Saved and Exited...

Come the 2nd Post screen (right after the raid check) it freezes...  doesn't attempt to read either of my drives...  just out and out freezes...  every single time...

I've swapped out drives, taken drives out, reset the bios via jumpers, did the hookey pookey...  nothing works...  always freezes after the raid check...  *screen where it displays the irq settings*

It doesn't even attempt to read either drive...  

Frustrated...  I took one of my drives out of a secondary computer thinking I could boot into windows...  shame on me...  same thing...

I'm in dire need of assistance...  I've checked many faq's...  nothing...  

Help?

Thanks!

merlin_2

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 02:00:07 PM »
        Start a new post for you problem ??otherwise this thread has grown....into a bit of confusion .....imaho......

Raptor

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 03:27:20 PM »
        If you are not making use of RAID, disable it in the BIOS.

Lauriellen

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 11:18:29 AM »
        Go to a health forum and ask them... :)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Perhaps it's a virus. ;)

Aziz Rehmatullah

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 11:17:52 AM »
        The M key of my inspiron 600m has become real stiff. all others are ok. can you please help me with this?

daydreamer110761

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 01:05:37 PM »
        ah ha - now I really want to know what happened here?  people seemed to follow me and either ask questions or answer them - assuming it was me with the problem!  I haven't been in here since that question - glad to see the server problem got resolved.  I have been busy learning to read the HJT logs, and studying virus/malware/spyware removal - lol!  seemed to be a good thing to study - it's more fun than the hardware end - and even more of a challenge sometimes!

just popped in to see how many more users have hopped on the board...looks like you're growing!   ;D but ya could use some more smiley choices... :P

Raptor

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »
        seemed to be a good thing to study - it's more fun than the hardware end - and even more of a challenge sometimes!

Impossible. There is nothing better than reconnecting and refitting hardware throughout the day.   ;)

daydreamer110761

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2005, 06:27:47 AM »
        Impossible. There is nothing better than reconnecting and refitting hardware throughout the day.    
             :o

that's funny.  i quickly learned that although I can do it, my eyes are beginning to fail me - it would be just too hard to do that all day - lol!  I like more of a challenge!  ;)

JayH

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2005, 11:31:30 PM »
        try a new power supply..not to expensive

JayH

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2005, 11:32:27 PM »
        try a new power supply..not to expensive...antec is a really good brand

juicepogi

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »
         PLEASE HELP ME OUT! i tried to connect my dvd drive  on my second slot set as master drive, the icon is displayed in my computer but when i tried to open its showing all desktop icons.. i have cd inside which id like to explore but it keeps on showing my desktop icons..??? ??? ???  someone help me out plsss....

Raptor

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2005, 05:09:44 AM »
        What other drives are connected?

merlin_2

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2005, 06:14:04 PM »
        do you have a pc

GX1_Man

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2005, 11:08:58 PM »
        Can we end this thread???