Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?  (Read 11896 times)

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello,
     I'm running XP and had a problem when the computer would not boot up, just a black screen, no keyboard, no nothing. Took it into a new computer fix-it guy, old place closed up, and he replaced the mother board, with a new Biostar one and told me I needed a new graphics card. I'm using 2 monitors, not gaming, just PhotoShop. I bought a new graphics card from Compusa and installed it and black screen! If I unplug the new card, the computer will work fine. The first computer guy said, " That's the same problem I had!" and wants me to bring it back, but they're closed for the weekend till Weds. What do I need to do?
     Rich

xavier

Re: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
    could be a bad slot in motherboard

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
      I don't think it's a slot/connector problem because it happened with the old motherboard before it was replaced.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »
      Ask for a replacement vid card...i've seen them dead out of the box.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »
        I'll take the card back to Compusa for a test, but this would be the second bad board. The initial board that I had started with the same problem and then the computer tech replaced the mother board and now the new card doesn't work either.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »
          does the new video card require a supplementary power hook up? if you dont know, what is the make/model of your new video card?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
            Homer,
             There is a power supply connector plug, that I plugged in from a unused cable from the new beefed up power supply.
            The new card is a Visiontek Radeon X 1650 Pro. the old card is a Sapphire Radeon X 1600 Pro card. The only difference is the old card has a smaller power supply connector. They look almost identical to me.

mikee17

Rookie
              « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
              Most Mo-Bo's carry a Aux Power connector next to the CPU, if you do not have that then its a possibility that the card and or Mo-Bo are pulling to much current causing it to over heat and short out.....then again i may be wrong.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »
                Most Mo-Bo's carry a Aux Power connector next to the CPU, if you do not have that then its a possibility that the card and or Mo-Bo are pulling to much current causing it to over heat and short out.....then again i may be wrong.

OP please disregard this advice.

ok, Big Rich, would you please make a list of all your computer components so we know what we are dealing with here?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
                  Homer,
                   What components do you need, give me a list, and remember, I'm not a computer guy, just a photographer!

www.richfrancophotography.com

Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »
                    DoooooH! Homer,
                     Here's some of the stuff you asked for and let me know what I left out.
                    Biostar Mo-Bo, model M7VIG4, Socket A
                    2 GB of ram
                    IMicro power,supply model LC-8400BTX
                    Amd 1.35 GHZ processor
                    and the second graphics card is a VisionTek ATI Radeon 1650.

I'm thinking the original problem, which was supposedly solved by my computer guy, was to replace the original mother board with this Biostar board. This didn't solve the problem. BOTH mo-bo's have the same result when I plug in the video card on the mo-bo, the computer doesn't boot up, just a dark screen. Then when I use the video on the mo-bo to run the monitor, it works great(after I unplug the graphics card from the slot).
                    I think I now have 2 mo-bos that work and 2 video cards that work, but a separate problem somewhere else in the system,
                    Rich

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:39:15 AM »
                    What make and wattage is the PSU ? ?
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
                      The label on the side says" 400w max" I tried to find the model number on the internet, but no luck for a IMicro LC-8400 BTX power supply. This is an upgrade from the original one that was built 2-3 years ago. I hate to take it back to the computer guy, because IF I right, the problem was not the mo-bo he replaced and my old graphics card isn't bad either, but he'll have to eat the cost of the work he did so far,
                       Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
                        Update info.
                         I'm getting a black screen when the computer first boots up and a message that says" warning, system had reset due to over-clock setting

Please re-enter CPU sttings in the Cmos set-up and remember to save before quit"

Is this somehow related to the Graphics card-mo-bo problem? What does this mean?
                        Help!
                        Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
                          Hellooooo? Anyone there? Do I need to get more info?
                           Rich

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                            • Yes
                          • Certifications: List
                          • Computer: Specs
                          « Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
                          Have you overclocked at all?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
                            I don't know what overclocked means. I'm a photographer, I'm simple!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
                            OK, no problem.
                            Press the key indicated to enter the BIOS, and choose the option to reset it to optimal settings.
                            Save the settings and exit the BIOS.
                            Does that help?

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
                              Hello,
                               before I reset the settings on the bios, what should this solve, what should I see change/fix?
                               Rich

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
                              Well, basically the error message you are getting is saying that the CPU settings in the BIOS are wrong.
                              You could go and change the settings one by one if you want, but it may be easier to just reset the BIOS to default.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
                                I tried doing this and this what came up
                                 F8 enable system config
                                 F9 Select booting device after post
                                 F1 to continue
                                 Del to enter setup

The F 8 and 9 buttons didn't work, nothing happened when I pushed them. I didn't get to the DEL button, because F1 did work and opened up. Which one is the bios?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
                                Delete.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
                                  Calum,
                                   Thank you, this did take care of the black screen message. Now, what do you think of my original problem? 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
                                  Sounds to me like a bad power supply.
                                  It's not exactly a good brand, seems to be made by Enermax.
                                  If the computer shop was wrong, it's their fault, and they should test each component.  Really, they should have fixed it and you shouldn't even need this thread here - just stating a fact, not complaining or anything.  If they made a mistake, they should eat the cost of their work - I would do and have done when I made a mistake.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
                                    Is this something I can run over to Compusa and buy and install myself? What brand and wattage would you suggest? And how much snould a power supply cost?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
                                    From CompUSA, I'd recommend this.
                                    It's not too pricey, provides ample power, and is a good brand.
                                    If you wanted to spend a little bit more for some extra upgrade headroom, get this - I have one and it's great.
                                    I'm assuming their range in store is the same as online, anyway, I don't know because I'm in England.

PSUs aren't too difficult to install - just turn the PC off, take out the power cable, open it up, remove all power cables, unscrew the old PSU and take it out, then insert the new PSU, plug in the cables, and screw it in.  It's fairly easy.
                                    However, I feel that the computer shop should cover this.  You asked them to fix your problem - they haven't fixed it but they have charged you, right?  They've got your money, and you're going out and spending even more to fix the problem they were supposed to have fixed in the first place.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
                                      Thanks again. I'll get the 430 watt psu to start with. I'm not doing any gaming, just some photoshop. Should I take the old power supply with me to Compusa? Can it be tested?

I'll keep you posted,
                                       Rich

www.richfrancophotography.com

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                        • Yes
                                      « Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
                                      It could be tested, but I don't think there's any point taking it with you - if the new one fixes the issue, the old one is dead.  If not, then there's something else at fault.

rockerest

Hopeful
                                        • Yes
                                      • Experience: Experienced
                                      « Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
                                      Maybe I'm way off here, but if the MOBO graphics work but GPU graphics don't...I've had a similar problem where the MOBO simply isn't switching the graphics output to the new card.  When the new card is plugged in, can you swap the monitor cable to the motherboard output and get a display?

Believe it or not, I've actually had to tell the computer to use my graphics card manually.  Just a thought.

-rock
                                      In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
                                      Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
                                      Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »
                                        Rock,
                                         When the new graphics card is plugged in, I just get a blank screen. My second monitor only has a DVI cable connection and the new mobo doesn't. How do you manually tell the computer to use another video card? monitor?
                                         I'm off to Compusa and getting a Power Supply just in case. Then I'll go back to the original computer guy and raise Cain!
                                         Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »
                                          Hello to all,
                                           I just replaced the power supply with a 430 watt Thermaltake, good news, bad news!
                                           Good news, the computer boots up
                                           Bad news, it does the same old thing as the old psu, computer, hard drives, everything in the case starts and beeps,etc, but the monitor satys in the sleep mode and no keyboard, mouse,etc., with the graphic card plugged into the new MoBo!!!

I need the big guns to answer this I think,
                                           Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
                                            Helloooo? Is this too hard to fix over the internet? Does anyone want more info from me about any other stuff on the computer? How do I find a reliable tech locally, I'm north of Orlando?
                                             RIch

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
                                              « Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »
                                              Well, it could be your monitors as well. Just mak e sure everything is plug in right, such as your RAM, Vid Card  ;)
                                              Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                                                • Yes
                                              « Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 04:07:22 AM »
                                              Sorry Rich, I'm mostly out of ideas.
                                              Do you have a monitor you can plug into the onboard video, on the motherboard?
                                              I'd try that.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »
                                                Thanks everyone. I'll take it to a local computer fixit shop and let you all know what happens. At this point, it would have been cheaper to give this desktop to my wife for the internet and just go buy a new desktop for the Photoshop stuff! I've seen desktops now for under $600 and really loaded, compared to this old clunker!!!
                                                Thanks again,
                                                 Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »
                                                  Hello again,
                                                   I took the desktop to Compusa on Monday, they had a free inspection special this weekend, and they fixed it. Not totally sure what they did, something like switching the primary graphics card adapter to AGP.

Anyway, the tech said the first guy who changed out the mother board in the first place should have know to do this.  Everything is working fine now and wanted to let ewveryone that helped know the out come. Thanks again for all the suggestions,
                                                   Rich

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                                    • Yes
                                                    • Yes
                                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                                  « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
                                                  Looks like Rockerest was right on the money!
                                                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »
                                                    Yepper, Rockerest be "da Man", if only I could have understood what he was saying, it would have saved a lot of time and $$$. Like I said before, I'm just a simple photographer. Thanks Rockerfest!
                                                     Rich