Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: US lawsuit calls Large Hadron Collider a Doomsday Machine  (Read 25050 times)

Annon

Re: US lawsuit calls Large Hadron Collider a Doomsday Machine
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »

Its human nature, sadly things are often not taken seriously until it’s too late.
Yeah, like Y2K. Remember that catastroph....

Y2K was a joke, this is messing with physics and energy of which the likes the human race has never toyed before; I do think the befits out way the risks, but I am certainly not trying to compare this with Y2k.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
::: sigh :::

The collider exists in order to concentrate the large amounts of energy into the small spaces it takes to "bring out" the class of particle s for which physicists are currently searching.  Fermilab, in Batavia, IL, had its accelerator upgraded a few years ago, and I believe it was used to find one of the missing quarks in the current model.

Nobody complained about that.

I'm no physicist, but black holes are a product of mass -- extremely large mass occupying extremely small space.  Yes, while the LHC uses great amounts of energy, and we know that energy and mass are equivalent, the energy is being "poured into" causing these particles to be generated via the collisions in the...collider. 

The LHC is not about generating mass.    ???

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Annon

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
They are trying to figure out what mass is beyond or current understanding, it is theorized one we now what mass is we can recreate it, this turning one apple into two apples :)

As for your question.

By recreating the searing-hot conditions fractions of a second after the Big Bang, scientists hope to see new physics, discover the sought-after "God particle", "I belive this is what you mean by S particles" uncover new dimensions and even generate mini-black holes.

The Higgs is nicknamed the God particle because of its importance to the Standard Model, the theory devised to explain how sub-atomic particles interact with each other.

The 16 particles that make up this model (12 matter particles and 4 force carrier particles) would have no mass if considered alone.

Hope this helps.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »
...but it's not beyond our current understanding.  Consider that Einstein's work began a bit over a hundred years ago.  In "The Elegant Universe," author Brian Greene talks about string theory and particle physics.  He says we still have a long way to go, but that the exciting thing is that the results of experiments and tests done so far so closely mirror mathematical predictions made so far.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »

Its human nature, sadly things are often not taken seriously until it’s too late.
Yeah, like Y2K. Remember that catastroph....

Y2K was a joke, this is messing with physics and energy of which the likes the human race has never toyed before; I do think the befits out way the risks, but I am certainly not trying to compare this with Y2k.

I wasn't comparing it to Y2K, but rather the overreaction it was met with. People started MAKING STUFF UP about what can happen, simply because using the short date format on SPECIFIC programs MIGHT cause entries like 5/5/00 to be in the year 1900 rather then 2000. But No, this simple problem obviously would cause airline computers so suddenly GROW consciousness and logically deduce that planes didn't exist in the year 1900 and thus they should be crashed into the ground.

Warranted, schedules could be screwed up, but Airlines don't require entry of years, and when they do it is a full four digits rather then 2.

Also, they've performed experiments with particle accelerators for ages, why this flux of interest? because they say it's possible the earth could be destroyed? probably more chance of me opening my refrigerator and finding a bear.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
probably more chance of me opening my refrigerator and finding a bear.

So, how's that bear tasting?  Nummy, I bet!   ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »

So, how's that bear tasting?  Nummy, I bet!   ;)

If I was to engage in the act of attempting to consume a bear, I would first try to take a bite, resulting only in a mouthful of fur. At this point the bear would be very confused, it had suddenly appeared in a refrigerator, the door opened, and some strange person is now trying to eat him. Then the bear would realize that it was him against the world and he would go on a rampage, until the conservation officers finally filled him with tranquilizers. THEN FINALLY I can begin my meal.

Officer 1:OK, the bears down. Whew, that one was pissed off.

Officer 2: You bet. Say, whos that going towards the bear?

Officer 1: Hmm, he's wearing a bib.

Officer 2:looks like he's trying to eat the bear.

Officer 1:did you say eat the bear?

Officer 2:yes, yes I did.

Officer 1: most interesting.

Officer 2: indeed

Officer 1: quite.

typhoeus

Hopeful

• Genus computerus gamerus/member of OCHWelC
    « Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »
    Nice one BCP.  ;D

So, how's that bear tasting?  Nummy, I bet!   ;)

I have a possum in mine.  Yum yum.  :)

The alarmist attitude is also coming into play with global warming.  While there might be some small amount of global warming, very little of it is human-made.  Humans may be able to stop a little bit, but the majority of the small amount is natural, and we are unable to affect it.
    If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules.

We worship Jeff, the god of biscuits.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
    That may be true, T, but we should do what we can.  We've been pumping hydrocarbons into the atmosphere since Britain industrialized in the late 1800's.  We should err on the side of caution.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:14 AM »
    It's not just the UK. All first world countries aren't helping in any way.l

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
      That may be true, T, but we should do what we can.  We've been pumping hydrocarbons into the atmosphere since Britain industrialized in the late 1800's.  We should err on the side of caution.

I could agree with you if your methods of "doing what we can" aren't more harmful than helpful.  But I do like the idea of erring on the side of caution.  Also, I'm glad you haven't been duped like so many others by Al Gore and others who know nothing about global warming yet advise conservation despite the fact that they drive big limos, fly private jets, and own big houses, which they're not in most of the time.  And the methods they advise are usually too expensive for average people.  But they blame us for hurting the environment, while somehow their money donations to various causes alleviate any guilt which should be attributed to them.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
      I still want to know what caused global warming in the mesozoic era. I'm fairly sure there weren't any industrialized "nations" then.

Is it just me or is it kind of strange that oil and coal (created from vegetation from the mesozoic, a very hot period) is now being held partially responsible for "global warming" today.

And Al Gore, I love when people actually read his "book", a tome of propaganda, they somehow think he actually can tell his @$$ from a hole in the ground, forgetting that he is a politician, and almost everything a politician does is in their own interest.

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
        Right on, BC_Programmer.  ;) :)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
        I was on the bandwagon for a while, but was fortunate to hear debate from both sides.  I still think we should curb our emissions where we reasonably can do so.  Gore's no saint, but he's help raise awareness.  We shouldn't go on acting like pollution is no big deal.

What scares me more than the LHC is that some fool's gonna figure out what to do with zero point energy, and at least in that theory, there are definite thresholds to which we need to pay attention!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »
        I was on the bandwagon for a while, but was fortunate to hear debate from both sides.  I still think we should curb our emissions where we reasonably can do so. 

But of course! even if pollution weren't to cause a doomsday, it still isn't exactly healthy for anybody, and it surely can't do anything positive.