Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VGA Ports?  (Read 4351 times)

Michael Lavieri

VGA Ports?
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:21:28 AM »
I have been recently looking for motherboards at tigerdirect. Yet I could not find any with VGA ports. What is the deal with that? It is not like VGA are so outdated that they only support USB. Do they? My current mo'bo has a VGA port and it is about five years old. VGA works perfectly fine. Yes, I did look at the pics and the closest one was serial ports which are WAY different then VGA. This is really important to me as I NEED a mo'bo that supports VGA since mine is fried.
  No, I am not using my computer. Besides how could I?

Any information would really be appreciated.

- Mike

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: VGA Ports?
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:29:02 AM »
    Just get a mobo with an AGP slot & plug a video card into it. Better than on board video anyway.

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:23:29 AM »
    So will a video card allow me to connect a VGA monitor to it?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 01:32:27 AM »
      Yes, go to the ASUS homepage & research mobos & video cards there, I've always had good results using Asus stuff.

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 02:23:02 AM »
      I could not find anything. Maybe I should start from the beginning and act like a beginner (mispelled?).

How do I connect my computer monitor and where?
      I am using a CRT. (dunno what that stands for)

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 09:28:30 AM »

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:49:09 AM »
      I am so sorry :-[ I thought my case was an ATX but instead it is an micro ATX. Micro ATX usually has a built in VGA port. While ATX does not. So that was where my frustration came from.

Even though this is irevellant,
      do you need to install the video card in order to use the VGA port? Cause if you do that would suck, how would you know what to do with no monitor?

Of course you could always get a USB monitor :-/

Anyways I am thinking about getting either an Athlon64 2800 or 3000. Does the Athlon require any special heatsink/cooling system? Also what about power? Does it use up more power than cheaper processors (say a Celeron P3).

I am sorry for asking all these questions. Most of them (ok all of them) I could find out myself. Therefore these Q's are not of urgent priority.

Thanks - Mike

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 11:02:48 AM »
      1.  do you need to install the video card in order to use the VGA port?...
      2.  Of course you could always get a USB monitor...
      3.  Does the Athlon require any special heatsink/cooling system?
      4.  Also what about power? Does it use up more power than cheaper processors (say a Celeron P3).
      5.  I am sorry for asking all these questions. Most of them (ok all of them) I could find out myself...

1.  Yes, only if the motherboard has no VGA port (called integrated or onboard video).
      2.  No such thing.
      3.  Yes.
      4.  All processors require heatsinks.  All use lots of power, some more than others.
      5.  Time to do some homework.  http://www.google.com

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 11:50:30 AM »
      Yes, I know more questions  :D

Would a heatsink/fan that is compatible with an Athlon 64 3800+ (K8) work on an Athlon 64 2800+? The heatsink/fan has the same socket size as the CPU 754.

The heatsink/fan is 754/940 and is by Masscool.

Now on to power. How much power does a basic computer require?
      Then I would need to add extra power usage for the CPU and round it off to the closest highest number. That should do it. But how much would an Athlon 64 require?

Looks like I will use the handy Google this time.

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »
      http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

So mine would be about 194 watts I will go up to 250 just to be safe. Or I could go up to 300 that way if I ever decide to add any video cards I should have all the wattage I will need.

The problem is I do not see any that meets my power requirements for MATX (Micro ATX) not even for 250.

Will the power plugs that connect to your hard drive, CPU, etc. that uses ATX plug into a MATX?

The current PSU (Power Supply Unit) is 80mm, so what is a dual 80 mm?