Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't reach some websites / email when using router  (Read 2099 times)

KG4ONJ

Can't reach some websites / email when using router
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »
I have cable internet with four computers running through a Linksys WRT54G router.  I also have a couple of laptops that I use wireless through the router.  About 4 days ago I found that I could not access any pages or email through one of my remote hosted websites.  I use MS Outlook on my "main" computer for email on my different accounts through this hosted website account.  I use Thunderbird on some of the other computers and the laptops for this access.  Neither email program works.  I have tried pinging and doing a tracert - no pings get returned and the tracert gets hung at the same hop each time.

Originally I just thought this was something flukey going on with the hosted side of things but this morning I unplugged my router from the cable modem, plugged my computer directly in to the modem, restarted the modem and everything worked perfectly.  I tried this with a couple of other computers as well and got the same results.  So it's clear that I have some kind of routing issue.

I have not changed any settings or added/removed any hardware or software from the network or computers in the past 6-8 months.  This is one of those "all of a sudden" things.  I did a very preliminary check of my router settings and I didn't see anything that caught my attention.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can't reach some websites / email when using router
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Sounds as if you've tried many of the suggestions I'd recommended for a common networking issue. I had a similiar situation here where I couldn't get any network packets, pings, etc. to computerhope.com and it ended up being a router issue. After several hours of troubleshooting I ended up trying another router and sure enough it worked fine. Ended up being a bad router. Wouldn't have access to another router would you?
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein