Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway 2000 Issue Still????  (Read 4814 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Gateway 2000 Issue Still????
    « on: March 18, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
    I have a gateway 2000 or 486.  I was recommened to change out the ram cause it gave me a single beep.  I suppose that I cant use one stick since I get like a few good beeps and I tried using two only still to get failure fixed disk 0.  Is there a way to find the number model and ect I need to contact them, unable to find it off hand
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Gateway 2000 Issue Still????
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:02:28 PM »
    Everest Home for a component report...
    Crucial.com for an online scanner that will tell you what type of RAM and what the machine will take...
    What failing HDD have you inserted into this machine ? ?

Anything else ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
      that isnt possible, I had wanted to put in at most a 2 gb maxtor, heres something that may help.  The first is what I am getting at the moment with four to three sticks to two, the second is with one stick.  Figured that was enough to fire it up. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »
        Any new leads does that help any?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:25:01 PM »
        Why did you upload a sound file as a zip ? ?
        Is that the clue ? ?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
          I hope that it would have been.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
            Its the beep error that I get, thought it would be the easiest thing to do in solveing this.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »
            The beep codes are specific to whichever BIOS you have...
            One beep is normal on 3 of my 5 machines.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
              that is true here as well but the thing is that I still have failure fixed 0

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »
              The HDD is dead or dying...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:52 AM »
                That is sort of what I had thought but I even used a differnt drive with the same error.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »
                Try a brand NEW Ide cable...
                And a different drive.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
                  Attempted another IDE, should maybe try another drive I dont think I used any other maybe thats were I'm hitting the wall.  Its a wd in there maybe its like dell I have me and got it with that machine but I cant put it any were else, thought that maybe that princable is appiling.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »
                    you all be surprised that I found out whats wrong.  So here it goes.  I tested the drives in another machine after fixing the one floppy drive which I think that the cable was bad.  At any rate i had a western digital cavier and a quantan both of small size like 4.3 gb so I put a copy of dos 6.22 on both of them.  I put the ones that were in there with the rest of the junked parts that still maybe useful later.  So I connected them and suppose what I had find.  The drive isnt spining up at all.   I checked the jumpers and stuff and I cant see any power issue right off but the cd/floppy and rest work okay.  So hopefully that brings some sight into this.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
                      i think that I know were to get the numbers I need but any thoughts here?