Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!! I THINK MY MOUSE HAS A VIRUS?  (Read 7236 times)

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

HELP!!! I THINK MY MOUSE HAS A VIRUS?
    « on: April 11, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
    This is pretty much a continuation of the topic"mouse pointer".  I still am continuing to have some problems with my mouse pointer deciding to just slide off the monitor at times for no apparant reason.  It has been suggested that maybe I should start a new topic about possibly a mouse virus? Since I am extremely new to computers, I wasn't aware the mouse could have a virus all by itself.  Could anyone possibly help me with this problem.  Thank You! ?  :'(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HELP!!! I THINK MY MOUSE HAS A VIRUS?
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
    Here is a basic story for this wild conjecture.
    Maybe it applies to you!
       :rofl:
    My brother lives in a rather remote area. One day he was using his wirelss mouse and it began to act funny.
    It seemed that some body else was moving his mouse. A though investigation found that the explanation seemed logical. Bear in mind, this is not a story I made up. My brother told me this. How do I know he is telling the truth? Well, he gave me the wireless mouse. He does not trust it anymore. So there!
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:01:56 PM by Geek-9pm »

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »
      Geek.....Being as how I am a 65 y/o lady.. I have learned that anything is possible.   But I truly do appreciate your help...

BaRR

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
        If it is a wireless mouse, that could very well be the problem. Sometimes, the frequencies of two mice can also get mixed up when they are wireless. Most likely, either your mouse is faulty, or it's a program like the ones offered by RJL Software. Note: Do not install any of those programs, they are designed to annoy you.

I think the first thing you would want to try out is use a known good mouse from another computer for a while. If the problem stops, then the mouse you are using currently is faulty. If it does not stop, then it is most likely a software issue; either a program is causing it because of a bug, or someone installed a program to play a joke on you. Generally, programs classified as "viruses" are not so benign to simply move your mouse every once in a while to annoy you.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »
          BaRR....Thank You.  I'll try the known good mouse and see if that solves the problem.  If not...I'll just go to a wired mouse.  I still am wondering if I can continue to use my wireless keyboard with a wired mouse??

BaRR

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
            Yes, my sister's wireless mouse ran out of batteries every few weeks, so she ended up switching to a wired mouse. She still uses the wireless keyboard, because it doesn't drain the battery as fast, and she likes the feel of it. There shouldn't be any problem using the wireless keyboard without the mouse, if in fact the mouse is the problem.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »
              BaRR.....Thank you soooo much.  I headed to get a wired MOUSE.  I'm too tired to fight this pointer problem any more.  Thank You again !!!!!

BaRR

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
                Great. If you continue to have problems after you try the wired mouse, come back and everyone here would be happy to help you with your issue.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
                  Thanks BaRR.....I will.  Good Luck  All  !!

Dias de verano

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
                  My wireless mouse acts funny if my mobile phone is nearby on the desk and is switched on.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
                    Hey D Verano....Thanks for the input.  The problem seems to be better after doing all the suggested things here on the forum.  It still does it, but much less.  I have a cell phone only.  The plug in is on the other side of the room...I keep it unplugged during the day anyway.  But thanks for the suggestion.  It might really helpl someone who is having this same problem and that might solve it.. HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY  !!!!!!

Dias de verano

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
                    I have a cell phone only.

That's what I meant. We call those things "mobile phones" here in England.

A mouse cannot have a virus all by itself. It could be broken though. Personally I really don't like wireless mice, but like the other poster before, I have a wireless keyboard.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
                      D verano....I'm beginning to be inclined to agree with you about not liking the wireless mouse..hence...the wired one!  Thank You

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
                      D verano....I'm beginning to be inclined to agree with you about not liking the wireless mouse..hence...the wired one!  Thank You

I hate them! They generally have to "hibernate" to save the battery. This happens if you have not moved the mouse for a ridiculously short period of time like 2 mins and you then have to wake them up by clicking a button which makes the computer do something you didn't expect and they get all erratic when the batteries run low (have you checked this?) and they are altogether a royal pain in the fundament. Also they often styled to look like an alien spacecraft or a Nike trainer which may appeal to a 13 year old boy but which I hate.

rika

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
                        D verano....forgive me for laughing, but I actually believe you don't like a wireless mouse!!!.  I did change my batteries in my mouse and wireless keyboard.  I hate to admit this in the open, but I didn't even know my wireless keyboard had a connect button or batteries on it...REALLY DUMB HUH??  I did admit that I didn't know much of anything about computers though, but I'm trying really hard to learn.See, I learned about the connect button and the batteries in my wireless keyboard by just talking to y'all.  Oh well, I changed both of them too.  So everything has new batteries now.  But I am still going to go with the wired mouse...Hummm, there went my mouse cursor again, off in never, neverland..Gotta get to WalMart!  Later y'all.