Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Whats with the MS Nag screen?  (Read 5390 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Whats with the MS Nag screen?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
Well that i cannot advise on...if you're not legit you need to get legit.
They're getting very good at this.

I tested this on a brand new Vista build (legit) and let the registration process purposely run out just to see.
It got progressively harder and harder to use the machine normally and eventually crippled most important tasks.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
I remember there being a virus out there that simulates the WGA application and asks for personal information such as email address, home address, contact number, credit card number, ect.

I don't have much time to look it up, but the google results seem to back my memory up:
http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=virus+that+simulates+wga&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=virus+that+simulates+wg

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
good point carbon.

I don't think WGA actually brings up a prompt asking personal details- it just says, "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting" or something similar in a balloon.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
Once infected, the virus registers itself as a new system driver service named "wgavn" and has the public display name of "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Notification."

That's not what it says on that screen photo. Sounds like the recent (April 09) WGA Notification update to me.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 05:32:33 AM »
    So what you are saying then is that if I dont reply and I have a pirated copy, eventually I will lesser and lesser performance from my machine to the point of standstill.

And

that if I have a legit copy and dont reply I will get lesser and lesser performance to the point of standstill.  :'(
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.