Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer speed  (Read 10548 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: computer speed
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:08:19 PM »
I decided to install Chrome
patio, our join bank account is gonna grow again ;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
Nicely said :)
thanks.  :)

patio, our join bank account is gonna grow again ;D
LOL.  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
Why are we comparing Browser speeds with page loading speeds ? ?
The 2 depend on different elements altogether....
Or am i missing something as usual ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
Hmmm....loading a web page is downloading that page to your browser, or....am I missing something?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
How fast the browser starts up and how fast a page loads once the browser is running are 2 different things...
Going on what he said here.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »
Agreed here...

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
    Example?

Did the attachment work? The page won't load using FF, It will load using IE. You see the gray vertical dividing line, it keeps switching on and off, like FF is trying to reload? That page should be full of info. thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »
      I decided to install Chrome on my laptop and run some speed tests.  I ran multiple tests with both browsers.  Overall, test results fluctuated more than usual; I do not attribute that to my computer or the web browsers; it's due to factors external to my personal computing environment.

The variation in test scores applied to both Firefox and Chrome, with lower and higher scores obtained from both browsers.  The results definitely did not show one browser or the other to consistently yeild better results than the other, just as I expected.

Again ... AGAIN ... raw speed tests for your Internet service are not determined by the general performance of your computer or the particular web browser you're using.  These tests are not processor-intensive tasks.  This point was previously covered.

Up until about 5 months ago, I had an old Pentium with Win 98SE and IE 6 sitting in the same room as my main desktop computer.  Using it to view web pages heavily laden with Flash, JavaScript, etc. was a test in patience; it was slow in rendering the page and once rendered, scrolled jerkily.   But, I could run a speed test with it and get the same results as with my main desktop system (Win XP) or my laptop (Vista).

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »

My bad, I didn't know how to put all attachments on one link. I used speakeasy.net, about 10:30 central time. I used the Dallas link, I'm closer to there. Those are the numbers from my computer system, readem and weep. ;)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »
          Re-read Posts #2 and #13...

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
            Re-read Posts #2 and #13...

Thanks for the post, I guess I missed your point? My point was as far as internet speed, the chrome browser is faster than the others. It doesn't matter the testing web-site or time of day. Yes,the numbers will change, but, chrome always has the highest kbps, with my isp and system. I can't say what the numbers will show with another isp or computer. thanks

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »
              Did the attachment work? The page won't load using FF, It will load using IE. You see the gray vertical dividing line, it keeps switching on and off, like FF is trying to reload? That page should be full of info. thanks

The second page was using IE

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              « Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
              Apparently, your purpose for starting this thread was to declare that Chrome is a faster browser because you ran speed tests and got faster results when using Chrome.  I'm not going to repeat everything I've said about Internet speed tests.  But, if you're still trying to convince people that Chrome is a faster browser because it always speed tests run from Chrome will always be faster, people who follow this line of thinking are going to be deceived. 

I just ran three tests. Here are the download/upload speeds:
              1st: Firefox: 1.07Mbps/0.37Mbps
              2nd: Chrome: 1.19Mbps/0.37Mbps
              3rd: Firefox again: 1.44Mbps/0.37Mbps

Am I going to declare, based on the third test, that Firefox is a faster browser?  No.  I could sit here and run tests all day and it's not going to substantiate one browser to produce faster speeds from speed tests.  As others have said, your perception of speed in web page rendering with different browsers is a separate matter from tests of your Internet connection speed.

Regarding the library database you say you can't access with Firefox, I don't know what your problem is there.  I just visited http://www.oplin.org/databases/ with Firefox and find that I can access info.  I don't know exactly what your search procedure and criteria were, so I can't duplicate your exact search.

Note: a valid library card is some library in Ohio that is linked to oplin.org system is needed to access the records in this  system.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
                Hi, thanks for the post. Maybe using the term, (computer speed) was the inaccurate. I guess I should have said, (internet download speed).

I know there are many reasons to use a computer, I'm a web browser. I can't see how you can separate computer performance from the browser and in turn the internet download speed?

I've posted more than one speed test IE and FF are consistent with each other, one or two digit difference. Chrome is different story. I believe chrome is still in Beta, still got bugs to work out. I don't use chrome as a daily browser, I use ff and IE. The numbers I listed was for my internet download speed test on my computer. Maybe those numbers are different for everybody??

I'm not trying to convince you good people of anything. I just thought it was an interesting subject. Your certainly welcome to use whatever browser you want. I couldn't care less. I respect all opinions.

The page I listed, that FF wouldn't load, is an automotive database, any large library that serves your area, has this same database. You can access this database from your home computer for free.

Everybody have a good day.  ;)