Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer speed  (Read 10567 times)

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

computer speed
    « on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
    Anyone care to post their speeds using different browsers? These results are using my isp, my system.
    FF--1321--kbps
    IE-- 1321-- kbps
    opera-- 1321-- kbps
    chrome-- 1451-- kbps

I used speakeasy.net, I have dsl. I tested this morning, central us time.  I don't know what is considered fast? I don't consider 1321 to be slow. I realize there are many issues that can effect speed. thanks

I just wanted to add, my computer is an old Dell P3, bought it used, 100 bucks.

I just recently learned how to check speed using speakeasy--internetfrog, some of those. Most of my internet life, I've used dial-up just recently switched to dsl. I didn't mean to scare everybody with those numbers. Even if the numbers had been 300kbps on everything. I still would have posted. The point is, you can check speed using different browsers on your own computer. You don't have to post the numbers here. I'm not even sure that is a valid test, switching browsers? I guess I'm the only one that thought it was interesting??????????????
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:23:14 AM by jdl »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: computer speed
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »
    The browser shouldn't make any difference when running a speed test from one of the test sites.  Your connection speed is determined by other factors, not the browser you're using.  So, I don't accept your test as being valid.  The faster speed you say you experienced with Chrome is most likely just a coincidence; if you had used a different browser at the very time you ran a test via Chrome, I suspect you would have gotten the same results.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »
    that's true. Sometimes I can test within 5 minutes, my first test might be 5234kbps, and my second might be over 10,000kbps; this is true with almost any ISP but I expect it is more pronounced with the "sharing" implemented by Cable Internet networks.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »
      Hi, thanks for the replys, I wasn't sure if that was a valid test? Can you separate computer speed from browser speed, am I comparing apples and oranges?

I did the speed tests in the same time period, yes, using one browser at a time. I did the tests using chrome at the beginning of the test, in the middle and at the end. The results were basically the same. Don't take my word for it, do the tests yourself. I just figured numbers don't lie. I'm not pushing chrome, I don't use chrome as a daily browser.

If anybody has a better way to test (computer) speed, maybe it is semantics using the word computer, let me know, I like to learn, I think it is interesting. As long as the speed test is free. thanks

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
      Yeah, just to make it straight, we're talking here about internet speed, not computer speed.
      100Kbps is really nothing, not to mention, that all those speed tests are more for a general picture, than for a real need.
      Internet speed basically matters regarding two main activities, we perform on the net:
      - surfing
      - downloading
      As for surfing, any high speed internet (cable, DSL, satellite), gives you almost the same speed impression (loading pages).
      As for downloading, you can throw all those speed tests into a garbage can, because it all comes up to quality, speed, and business of servers we download from. Our computers really doesn't matter there.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:00:36 AM »
        Hi, thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity what browser are you using? Some of the databases I need to look at on the internet won't fully load with anything except IE, not FF-- opera--safari--chrome. Running those speed tests, I noticed the upload speed, 300kbps, not much compared to download. I just learned to check internet speed, give me break, new toy, something to play with. thanks

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »
        That is normal. Upload speeds, compared to downlaod speeds, are normally about the ratio of the upload and download speeds you have obtained from your tests.  My download speed is usually around 1450 kbps, while upload will be around 374 kbps.
        « Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:54:54 AM by soybean »

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:46:02 AM »
          Thanks for the reply, it is interesting. That 1450 speed you listed, is it the same no matter what browser your using? I can get 1450 using chrome, I can't get that using the other browsers, they'er around the 1320s.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:14 AM »
          Yes, it's nearly always 1450, +/- 10 points.  And, it's the same with both Firefox and IE.  For me, it's also the same on my wireless laptop as on my wired desktop.  And, I also have a computer runing Linux Ubuntu and get the same results with it, using Firefox.  I have not installed Chrome.  Again, I'm skeptical of the validity of your testing. As I and BC_Programmer have said, and as Broni has implied, the browser has nothing to do with the results of these speed tests. 

To reiterate what Broni said, if you run a speed test, this does not task your processor, as does software.  Speed tests merely test the speed of data flowing to and from your computer to a remote computer/server. Your computer's processor basically sits idle during such testing and just lets data flow in and out via your hardware components (network adapter, router, modem) and your DSL or cable Internet line provided by your ISP. 

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
            If I check internet speed using chrome browser, I don't know why the download speed always shows higher than the others??? Also surfing speed, computer performance is faster using chrome than the others, on my computer. I know everybody is ready to fight for their favorite browser and that is fine. I thought browser effected download speed. My test seemed to show it, according to the numbers.  If there is a way to check computer performance speed and not download speed, I'm listening???

Your download speed on everything is faster than mine. Mine is an old dell P3, when I got it, don't laugh, I had 192 mb ram, a few weeks ago I up-graded the memory a little, 384mb, performance is better, my max is 512 mb. CPU-- 730 mhz. Everybody asks, why fool with that old computer, a basic new one comes with at least a gig of memory in it. The answer is simple, I want to know how to R&R anything in a computer. I won't take a new one apart. I will and have practiced replacing stuff on this old dell. Harddrive--power supply--upgrade the memory-- replaced the cd/dvd. That is just pulling one part, putting another one in. The harddrive came out of an e-machine, it worked. The power supply-- cd/dvd--harddrive all came out of an e-machine, the parts were free, the motherboard was fried in the e-machine. thanks

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »
            If there is a way to check computer performance speed
            This is basically impossible task, because there too many variables involved.
            The main ones would be: processor speed, amount of RAM, RAM speed, number of startups, video card type, amount of RAM, hard drive free space, etc.....
            Obviously, because of prices, and an easy job, RAM upgrade is the best way of speeding computer up.

As for browsers, some may be little bit more faster, than others, but again, it depends on some variables.
            Bare bone Chrome, surely will be faster, than Firefox with 10 plug-ins, and 20 add-ons, but it's more of a matter of personal preferences.
            Personally, because of Firefox high customizing level, and reliability, I wouldn't replace it with any other browser, even if FF was twice as slow, as the other.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »
              Thanks for the reply, I understand personal preference.  I use FF mostly,but, with some internet databases, only IE will load the full page. The more questions I ask, the more I learn. thanks

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »
              with some internet databases, only IE will load the full page
              Example?

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »
              I decided to install Chrome on my laptop and run some speed tests.  I ran multiple tests with both browsers.  Overall, test results fluctuated more than usual; I do not attribute that to my computer or the web browsers; it's due to factors external to my personal computing environment.

The variation in test scores applied to both Firefox and Chrome, with lower and higher scores obtained from both browsers.  The results definitely did not show one browser or the other to consistently yeild better results than the other, just as I expected.

Again ... AGAIN ... raw speed tests for your Internet service are not determined by the general performance of your computer or the particular web browser you're using.  These tests are not processor-intensive tasks.  This point was previously covered.

Up until about 5 months ago, I had an old Pentium with Win 98SE and IE 6 sitting in the same room as my main desktop computer.  Using it to view web pages heavily laden with Flash, JavaScript, etc. was a test in patience; it was slow in rendering the page and once rendered, scrolled jerkily.   But, I could run a speed test with it and get the same results as with my main desktop system (Win XP) or my laptop (Vista).

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
              Nicely said :)