Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer speed  (Read 10760 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer speed
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »
The distinction for speeds is important.

the process of "downloading" a file, or web page, involves a lot of components.

The browser itself, which basically does- nothing. It opens the connection and accepts incoming data to write to the file, but nothing else. Since download speed is always much slower then the write rate, optimizations here, the only place possible in the browser, are usually not fruitful.

Once the browser starts a download, it is the network drivers job to establish a connection to the remote machine, send it the data, wait for the response, and accept it.

The connection involves, regardless of your homes configuration, thousands- maybe millions of kilometre's of wire, some of which may be deteriorating. If the facility that has this "well travelled" wire has a power outage or major disaster, the connection is achieved via an alternate route, which may be longer but have better quality wire. By using better, and shorter ethernet cables I have been able to double my download speed from the original supplied ethernet cabling.

the speed, performance, and load of the remote server is one of the single most important factors for download speed. if the server is experiencing heavy traffic or simply has an isignificant processor, the outlay of information can suffer; the subsequent recieval of the information will also be slower.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »
    Hi, thanks for the post. You point is well taken. I guess you can't compare internet download speeds except on your own system, too many variables.

I wasn't trying to argue with anyone, I just thought it was interesting.  I always learn something, talking to everybody.

My next thought was cpu numbers. Whether 1ghz is any better than 730mhz cpu, when the fsb and cache numbers are virtually the same? I think I'll save that for another day. thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
    Here's a tool that might shed some light on external factors affecting tests of Internet connection speed.  Open a Command Prompt panel and type tracert computerhope.com or tracert anyURL (replace anyURL with an actual URL) and hit Enter.  The tracert (trace route) command will execute and will display a list of "hops" and the times, in ms (milli-seconds), for each hop. These hops represent the route the data travels to get from the source server to your computer, and the times for each hop will most likely vary throughout the day. 

This brief article may also be interesting: http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Resources/SpeedFactors/

Edit: another reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757819(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_tcpip_tro_using_tracert
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:32:06 AM by soybean »