Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tell me about Canada!!  (Read 15735 times)

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Tell me about Canada!!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
So the 'stupid Americans' that live around you make fun of Canadians for saying 'eh', so you decided to come here and slag off Americans for doing it but no one else. That makes sense.  ::)
I'm only slagging off the "Stupid Americans", who if you read my post, are only the ones who think every Canadian MUST say EH! all the time, and think that timbits are WMDs.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
I believe you completely missed Quaxo's point.

as hard as it is to believe, there IS a such thing as a stupid Canadian, Briton, african, German, etc.

the thing is- your only looking for stupid americans.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »

as hard as it is to believe, there IS a such thing as a stupid Canadian, Briton, african, German, etc.

the thing is- your only looking for stupid americans.
Did I say there there was no such thing as stupid Canadians? No. I've seen more stupid Canadians than I would ever want.
Where's MagicSpeed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

In fact, you PROVED it.

I'm only slagging off the "Stupid Americans"

are only the ones
how do you figure this?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
I'm only slagging off the "Stupid Americans", who if you read my post, are only the ones who think every Canadian MUST say EH! all the time, and think that timbits are WMDs.

I did read your post, which is exactly why I bring it up. You're specifically targeting Americans, stupid or not, with your statements which is why I find your comments offensive. By only blaming the 'stupid Americans', you're as bad as the 'stupid Americans' who accuse Canadians of saying 'eh' all the time.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
I did read your post, which is exactly why I bring it up. You're specifically targeting Americans, stupid or not, with your statements which is why I find your comments offensive. By only blaming the 'stupid Americans', you're as bad as the 'stupid Americans' who accuse Canadians of saying 'eh' all the time.
I specifically targeted the Americans, because they are the only ones who are saying we always say EH! where I live (and I did say that the only "stupid Americans" I was talking about were the ones who thought that Timmies is invading, and that all canadians have OCD). So you should only take offence to that if you think that all Canadians have OCD, or that Timmies will take over the world with their Tim bits.
Where's MagicSpeed?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
America has more people than just americans, like your iraqies, mexicans, africans, russians ect ect.  I am shure they think you say eh too.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:23 PM »
There are good people and jerks, everywhere.  We all know that.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I specifically targeted the Americans, because they are the only ones who are saying we always say EH! where I live

That's still no excuse for your comments. Perhaps you should get more exposure to the world, then you will see that it's not just 'stupid Americans' where you live who think that, and that it is, in fact, a joke among people of many nationalities, even your fellow Canadians. Get over it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »
... because they are the only ones who are saying ...

did you interview every single person on earth? where do you get this information? how do you know it's ONLY american people who think this?

I think somebody has watched one too many of Rick Mercer's "Talking to americans" which is humourous, but in no way should be taken to reflect the intelligence of general public of the U.S.

In any case, If people should only be offended if they fall into that particular subcategory that believes your examples true, then only canadians who say "eh" all the time should be offended when an american says it. This is not the case. And believe me, it isn't just the U.S that thinks that.

As an example, Only East of Manitoba will you find Canadians saying that they parked their vehicles "side by each". In fact that is probably where the Aboot and Eh crap came from, too.

regardless- almost all misconceptions about canadians can be traced right back to the bloody eastern provinces. bunch of bloody frenchies, hicks and newfee's over there. I mean, I have no problem with France, it's just french canada and canadians that are a pain in the *censored*. they refuse to speak in english, regardless of wether the other person can speak it; In fact, for a while it was ILLEGAL (in Quebec) to even HAVE english text ANYWHERE on signs! As you can guess this kind of works against Quebec since that very same federal law (both languages must be portrayed) was seen to not have any precedent so English speaking majority provinces began to drop french signage as well.

I think the only thing that I'd notice if I was to go to the U.S is that, here, every single piece of merchandise (well, well over 95%) has french labels. Never really thought about it, until I stopped to think that we only have both since we have two official languages; the U.S only has one, so It stands to reason that they don't bother with french labels. a Lot of saved space, IMO.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »
did you interview every single person on earth? where do you get this information? how do you know it's ONLY american people who think this?
How about reading my entire post next time. Specifically the part in BOLD!
I specifically targeted the Americans, because they are the only ones who are saying we always say EH! where I live (and I did say that the only "stupid Americans" I was talking about were the ones who thought that Timmies is invading, and that all canadians have OCD). So you should only take offence to that if you think that all Canadians have OCD, or that Timmies will take over the world with their Tim bits.
Where's MagicSpeed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
the reason is clear- these Americans are all in the same class as you.

This is why their IQ is so low, not because they are american, but rather because they are in.. the *ahem*... "special" classes.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
I kept trying to get on the little bus, but they wouldn't have me!   ;)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »
the reason is clear- these Americans are all in the same class as you.

This is why their IQ is so low, not because they are american, but rather because they are in.. the *ahem*... "special" classes.
I would like to inform you that I am in "special" classes. S.P.ED. classes, for the GIFTED students. At our school board, there are 3 different classifications in elementary school, and 4 in high school (depending on which high school, 3 or 4):
Elementary:
Gifted
Normal
Locally Developed

High School:
Academic Gifted Cluster
Academic (normal)
Applied (normal)
Locally Developed

And the Americans which I know are not in my classes.
Where's MagicSpeed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
the irony here, is I knew people in the "special" as in "speshul" classes, and they insisted that they were in the "higher" academic courses. Of course I found it strange how they took 3 extra years to graduate, as well as why they went to a single class for half the day (much like elementary school). Odd indeed. Odd indeed.

For me, the special classes were not Segregated groups of students with completely different ways of being educated (which implies that they simply can't learn that way and thus the school methods need to be adapted to work for the student rather then the other way around, which for any well-adjusted individual should be just fine), but rather as classes, just like my other "normal" classes that went into my standard timetable, such as Info-tech 12 in grade 10, AP CS 12 in grade 11, etc etc. I still wonder how well I did at the final for that, but it went to some college. Anyway that class is the reason I dislike java as a language. it's a educational toy language, like Pascal.