Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with dial up speed  (Read 14890 times)

deebra

Topic Starter

Help with dial up speed
    « on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
    hi everyone
    heres the problem i live in a remote area, and the only available internet in my area is dial-up thru my phone company
    i like to play games at night and on dial up they just wont load most of the time
    anyone know of a free dial up accelerator i could use or have any other suggestions/

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help with dial up speed
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
    No matter what anyone will tell you, the bad news is, there is no workaround for dial-up speed.

deebra

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
      i had a dial up accelerator that worked great it just cost too much

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
      Please don't be upset to learn that these "accelerated services" are just "smoke and mirrors." The amount of data that can traverse your phone line cannot - by law - be any faster than 53,200 bits per second. These "accelerators" use your browser cache, your hosts file, and more caching servers at their location, to cache pages you've viewed before others have recently viewed, and a few other tricks. You get no faster speed on a page no one else has viewed recently, other than the fact the server may compress the graphics before sending to you. Depending upon the actual size of the graphic files, the difference may be unnoticeable due to the time necessary for the server to compress the graphic in the first place. Their software also looks at the links in the page you are reading, and fetches those pages to your cache in the background while you are reading, just... in... case... you want to see them. This process tends to fill up your browser cache rather quickly.   :o

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
      Of course, though that you are not going to be getting anything faster than the 56K speed ....

There was an accelerator that I did find some useful during when I used to have dial up, check it out here: http://www.propel.com/

It costs $5 per month to use their software.

But if you happen to get one of those softwares that uses up the cache like Mulreay described previously, then just remember to have your cache cleared out now and then  :)

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
      Of course, though that you are not going to be getting anything faster than the 56K speed ....
      There was an accelerator that I did find some useful during when I used to have dial up, check it out here: http://www.propel.com/
      It costs $5 per month to use their software.
      But if you happen to get one of those softwares that uses up the cache like Mulreay described previously, then just remember to have your cache cleared out now and then  :)

2x3i5x  That's the point it cannot be done. It's smoke and mirrors. You are paying for nothing but a cheap conjurers trick. It's a waist of money and time. You cannot physically increase your dial up speed. They ALL use up the cache how do you think they do it??

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
      I guess it is a waste of money, I hadn't really thought of that since I currently use DSL internet.

Deebra, just wondering.... where do you live? (state, city, town?)

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
      If you can't get cable there is always satellite internet.
      http://www.rateitall.com/t-790-satellite-internet-access-providers.aspx
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:27:29 AM »
        I just seen this, I got one that I use for free an depending how clean your macine is an were you usually go its almost like haveing basic DSL connection as well as it being free.  Its called pennswood acclerator just config the settings an your okay.  The downside you have to choose between displaying images good or not.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:27 AM »
        2x3i5x  That's the point it cannot be done. It's smoke and mirrors. You are paying for nothing but a cheap conjurers trick. It's a waist of money and time. You cannot physically increase your dial up speed. They ALL use up the cache how do you think they do it??

Squall it can not BE done listen to Broni and I. You CANNOT make a dial up any faster.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:29 AM »
          Do you doubt my app?  It is possible to make it as fast as the lowest speed of DSL not any faster, I'm useing it as a metaphor its probably not but I can see a big difference when I use it.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 05:44:45 AM »
          Please don't be upset to learn that these "accelerated services" are just "smoke and mirrors." The amount of data that can traverse your phone line cannot - by law - be any faster than 53,200 bits per second. These "accelerators" use your browser cache, your hosts file, and more caching servers at their location, to cache pages you've viewed before others have recently viewed, and a few other tricks. You get no faster speed on a page no one else has viewed recently, other than the fact the server may compress the graphics before sending to you. Depending upon the actual size of the graphic files, the difference may be unnoticeable due to the time necessary for the server to compress the graphic in the first place. Their software also looks at the links in the page you are reading, and fetches those pages to your cache in the background while you are reading, just... in... case... you want to see them. This process tends to fill up your browser cache rather quickly.   :o
          Did you read this Squall ???

It's the honest truth, the way it is, the way intended, never to be changed, honest to god truth, no way to alter, physics in action. Deal with it. IT CAN'T BE DONE ANY DIFFERENT

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:47 AM »
          All right, it's agreed that the standard is 56K, but that voice phone lines do not support above 53K by tariff; however, if a person wants to use an accelerator, and is willing to keep track of their browsers "cache," what's the harm?  

I know -- it's "smoke and mirrors" -- but if an "accelerator" "manages" the data a bit better for a customer on dial-up, why not?  I used one for a year with great success.  

I knew the data wasn't really moving any faster, but pages did appear to load faster when I surfed using the "accelerator."

HERE is a nice short article which provides some information and a couple of reviews of the providers.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:49:22 AM »
          Aegis I totally agree but let's not fool people into thinking there getting a better connection. It's all a stupid myth and needs burying like the loch ness monster. People pay for this. Which disgusts me..

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:56 AM »
            I dont have too thats the other thing my app is free you none beleve.  You doubt my app!  Okay so I'm only getting 46 kbps but thats just cause its old machine but if I put it else were probably notice better results.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »
            Here's where we need to be careful, Squall:  line speed remains the same -- it's the file caching or data compression which the services offer that makes the difference.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »
            Yes, you can't physically make the internet speed faster, you're just "squeezing" the webpages and images to smaller sizes so that it loads faster within the same non changable speed.

Like eating a hamburger, eatng bite sized pieces vs eating one hamburger whole  ;D

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
              ah, I didnt go to in depth with it yeah after looking at it that more or less what its doing.

Mulreay

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
              Squall welcome to the light. These speed up programmes are the toilet paper of RegCure. That's how I feel about these lying money grabbing programmes. We should have a list of the thing's that annoy us most like the 10 commandments!

[attachment deleted by admin]

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
                what???  Also mine is free so it dont matter an I do see a difference with it.

2x3i5x

Expert
                « Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »
                but you might get a program like admuncher http://www.admuncher.com/ or adblock plus ....

You know ... one of those adblockers, will really save bandwith on the dialup for having no advertisements being downloaded alongside main website content....

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
                  I never have to much trouble with pop-ups for some reason.

Mulreay

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
                  Squall Ok we can keep telling people they get a better connection with these programmes then. Your call. You have to appreciate that these programmes can cost people a lot of money (I know yours does not) with the lie that they will increase connectivity. All the while using a simple programme almost cookie style to make you believe things are faster. It's a myth, a unicorn, an elf, loch ness monster, U.F.O's, ghost's and people actually like the Hoff. It's all make believe.  ;)

Mulreay

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
                  but you might get a program like admuncher http://www.admuncher.com/ or adblock plus ....
                  You know ... one of those adblockers, will really save bandwith on the dialup for having no advertisements being downloaded alongside main website content....

Yeah just good computer sense will increase your speed. Good call.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »
                    what ever I see a difference may be not with the physical connection but I notice things work faster an everything.  Not currently but why should I bother with it at the current point.

Mulreay

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »
                    Yes your right it 'seems' to run faster. It's up to the client end of.

2x3i5x

Expert
                    « Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:19 PM »
                    run faster is really subjective. Just a feeling ... does it take less time to do same task now?

Mulreay

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
                    You will 'not' be able to download faster. It's just a scam.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »
                      that it does an it even seems to download a little bit faster too all considering.

Mulreay

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
                      Ok end of story. Squall as always your just flogging a dead dog. Facts are facts.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
                        no more help for you then. ><  :-X

Mulreay

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
                        I'll get over it.  :o

2x3i5x

Expert
                        « Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
                        I'll get over it.  :o

it's really no big deal  ;D ;D

Mulreay

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
                        I'm not sure now what I can do. I have these buttons in front of me that look like...... letters. There all arranged in a random fashion. HELP HELP what do I do? 2x3i5x please stick with me here. It's gone dark and I can't see anymore. I need.... I know what I need. (But due to past comments this help is no longer available). *censored* :(

2x3i5x

Expert
                        « Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
                        explain a bit better your situation, cuz i'm stll bit  ???

i'm with you and what do you need? (you knew it but can you tell me?)

hope its not a ghost haunting you....
                        i just need more info so I can try the search & rescue....

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »
                          hey dont start with that crap.  I dont like my grandmother to think that I am up cause of obsomnia

Mulreay

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 02:04:29 PM »
                          Do you mean 'insomnia'?

2x3i5x

Expert
                          « Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
                          hey dont start with that crap.  I dont like my grandmother to think that I am up cause of obsomnia

go away then. we're not trying to annoy you anyway  

you go deal with you grandmother first! :P

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
                            that I do, I was refering to Mulreay

Mulreay

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
                            Again we find ourselves in a running battle with Squall. Squall stop the messages now because the thread is done. You have an opinion and I appreciate that no matter how wrong it is. Just drop it now. I don't want BC to come along and have to shut down a thread again because you don't know when to stop.

2x3i5x

Expert
                            « Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
                            why it seems that squall is always here making many a post a stop squall post?  ???

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
                              I'm not being ill rash I gave you a chance an the issues resolved so he can if he wants too you dont have to tell him what to do an what not too.

Mulreay

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »
                              It's in the best interest as usual that nobody responds anymore to this thread. I've requested that the thread be closed.

patio

• Genius
                              • Maud' Dib
                                • Yes
                              • Experience: Beginner
                              « Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
                              Once again.....
                              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »
                              Did you expect anything else Patty??   ;D

Sorry I could not help the Patty thing...

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »
                              Patty
                                 :o

That Mulreay was a pretty nice guy...while his account lasted... ;)

Mulreay

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                              • Certifications: List
                              • Experience: Guru
                              « Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
                              Squall, you have too much going on to use Capitals and Periods, yet you are able to start arguments in every topic you post in?
                              Fascinating.

Just fyi: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,58736.0.html
                              # Make posts / comments that only relate to the original question / topic.

Due to a request, I am locking this topic.