Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with dial up speed  (Read 14894 times)

deebra

Topic Starter

Help with dial up speed
    « on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
    hi everyone
    heres the problem i live in a remote area, and the only available internet in my area is dial-up thru my phone company
    i like to play games at night and on dial up they just wont load most of the time
    anyone know of a free dial up accelerator i could use or have any other suggestions/

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help with dial up speed
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
    No matter what anyone will tell you, the bad news is, there is no workaround for dial-up speed.

deebra

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
      i had a dial up accelerator that worked great it just cost too much

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
      Please don't be upset to learn that these "accelerated services" are just "smoke and mirrors." The amount of data that can traverse your phone line cannot - by law - be any faster than 53,200 bits per second. These "accelerators" use your browser cache, your hosts file, and more caching servers at their location, to cache pages you've viewed before others have recently viewed, and a few other tricks. You get no faster speed on a page no one else has viewed recently, other than the fact the server may compress the graphics before sending to you. Depending upon the actual size of the graphic files, the difference may be unnoticeable due to the time necessary for the server to compress the graphic in the first place. Their software also looks at the links in the page you are reading, and fetches those pages to your cache in the background while you are reading, just... in... case... you want to see them. This process tends to fill up your browser cache rather quickly.   :o

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
      Of course, though that you are not going to be getting anything faster than the 56K speed ....

There was an accelerator that I did find some useful during when I used to have dial up, check it out here: http://www.propel.com/

It costs $5 per month to use their software.

But if you happen to get one of those softwares that uses up the cache like Mulreay described previously, then just remember to have your cache cleared out now and then  :)

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
      Of course, though that you are not going to be getting anything faster than the 56K speed ....
      There was an accelerator that I did find some useful during when I used to have dial up, check it out here: http://www.propel.com/
      It costs $5 per month to use their software.
      But if you happen to get one of those softwares that uses up the cache like Mulreay described previously, then just remember to have your cache cleared out now and then  :)

2x3i5x  That's the point it cannot be done. It's smoke and mirrors. You are paying for nothing but a cheap conjurers trick. It's a waist of money and time. You cannot physically increase your dial up speed. They ALL use up the cache how do you think they do it??

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
      I guess it is a waste of money, I hadn't really thought of that since I currently use DSL internet.

Deebra, just wondering.... where do you live? (state, city, town?)

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
      If you can't get cable there is always satellite internet.
      http://www.rateitall.com/t-790-satellite-internet-access-providers.aspx
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:27:29 AM »
        I just seen this, I got one that I use for free an depending how clean your macine is an were you usually go its almost like haveing basic DSL connection as well as it being free.  Its called pennswood acclerator just config the settings an your okay.  The downside you have to choose between displaying images good or not.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:27 AM »
        2x3i5x  That's the point it cannot be done. It's smoke and mirrors. You are paying for nothing but a cheap conjurers trick. It's a waist of money and time. You cannot physically increase your dial up speed. They ALL use up the cache how do you think they do it??

Squall it can not BE done listen to Broni and I. You CANNOT make a dial up any faster.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:29 AM »
          Do you doubt my app?  It is possible to make it as fast as the lowest speed of DSL not any faster, I'm useing it as a metaphor its probably not but I can see a big difference when I use it.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 05:44:45 AM »
          Please don't be upset to learn that these "accelerated services" are just "smoke and mirrors." The amount of data that can traverse your phone line cannot - by law - be any faster than 53,200 bits per second. These "accelerators" use your browser cache, your hosts file, and more caching servers at their location, to cache pages you've viewed before others have recently viewed, and a few other tricks. You get no faster speed on a page no one else has viewed recently, other than the fact the server may compress the graphics before sending to you. Depending upon the actual size of the graphic files, the difference may be unnoticeable due to the time necessary for the server to compress the graphic in the first place. Their software also looks at the links in the page you are reading, and fetches those pages to your cache in the background while you are reading, just... in... case... you want to see them. This process tends to fill up your browser cache rather quickly.   :o
          Did you read this Squall ???

It's the honest truth, the way it is, the way intended, never to be changed, honest to god truth, no way to alter, physics in action. Deal with it. IT CAN'T BE DONE ANY DIFFERENT

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:47 AM »
          All right, it's agreed that the standard is 56K, but that voice phone lines do not support above 53K by tariff; however, if a person wants to use an accelerator, and is willing to keep track of their browsers "cache," what's the harm?  

I know -- it's "smoke and mirrors" -- but if an "accelerator" "manages" the data a bit better for a customer on dial-up, why not?  I used one for a year with great success.  

I knew the data wasn't really moving any faster, but pages did appear to load faster when I surfed using the "accelerator."

HERE is a nice short article which provides some information and a couple of reviews of the providers.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:49:22 AM »
          Aegis I totally agree but let's not fool people into thinking there getting a better connection. It's all a stupid myth and needs burying like the loch ness monster. People pay for this. Which disgusts me..

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:56 AM »
            I dont have too thats the other thing my app is free you none beleve.  You doubt my app!  Okay so I'm only getting 46 kbps but thats just cause its old machine but if I put it else were probably notice better results.