Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU Question  (Read 7213 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

PSU Question
    « on: June 21, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
    Was wondering if this was an okay psu.  It meets what I need it for but its fairly cheap an wonder if it was okay to get Logisys 550W 20+4-pin ATX PSU w/SATA  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS550A-BK&cat=PWR 

Not that I mind just wondered if these were okay or not.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PSU Question
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
    Never scrimp on PSU's...you should expect to pay 40 to 50 Bucks for a decent one and upwards of that for something bullet proof...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jimbo8098

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
      i aggree with patio , most pc problems can apparently be traced back to a bad PSU

have a look at the OCZ StealthXStream 600W

Thats what they have on the PC gamer magaznes test rig

That cost £62

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »
      My last 3 PSU's were OCZ's......rock solid ...zero issues.
      I now recommend them to my Customers...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
        I figured that a little bit but seemed like a good deal, I can look at them again but thats the one I liked best.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:56:51 AM »
          These were marked down just so you know.

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
            « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »
            The thing I keep coming back to with my own PSU searching is looking at the +12v amp rating.  When you've identified every other PC part you want, take a look at the power requirements of the biggest power draw (usually the GPU).  That will let you know what size PSU to get. If you can't find the amp spec for a PSU, I'd skip it.

Newegg has been having some great sales on top quality PSU's for months, especially in the 550-750W range. 

What you don't want to do is buy a PSU that turns out to be inadequate for three reasons.
            1. It may work but with a shortened life.
            2. It will pick an inopportune moment to die.
            3. When (not if) it dies, it is more likely to take another component(s) down with it.

Good luck!

2x3i5x

Expert
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »
            Like said already, I'd first look at the wattage rating to see what you're getting, then the 12V rail amp rating, then see what brand you have (is it name brand, a no name brand or a brand that's not good) and then maybe hop onto newegg for customer ratings.  ;D

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:31:07 PM »
              ah okay, I kind of know what you mean then.  At any rate not sure what I need here.  I just know that I need a basic atx 20+ 4 pin psu but there's like six an what not.  Going threw newegg.

2x3i5x

Expert
              « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
              also be sure your PSU you get fits into your case. Don't get one that' either won't fit into your case 'cuz it's too big or one that's smaller than case size and therefore a problem.
              « Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:07:22 PM by 2x3i5x »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
                I tried but couldnt find one there Type[ATX ],Maximum Power[501 - 600W ],Main Connector[20+4Pin ],  least I think not too sure.
                « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:37:10 PM by squall_01 »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
                  thought I lost this, I dont know were else to try here.

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
                  thought I lost this, I dont know were else to try here.

What do you mean?
                  Evil is an exact science.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »
                    ment that I had edited this an misplaced it in the mass.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    • Certifications: List
                    « Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
                    What do you mean?

He just wants to bump his topic.

Quantos

Guru
                    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
                    Squall, if your not sure about the specs or the physical size of the PSU that your case can accept then why not just take the defective one to a local store?

That way you get what you need the first time around.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »
                      I had carbon so that I can get this working an use it.  Rather a pain, there isnt anything wrong with the one in it other then its not as powerful as it should its only 400 - 300 watts.  Also there isnt such a place close by unless we traveled for an hour which we hardly do at all unless planed.

Quantos

Guru
                      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26:08 AM »
                      I don't blame you for not wanting to do all that driving, that would suck.

I was just curious.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
                        cant drive myself ether, the other close place is an hour away an things would still have to be arranged.  If I went down there an not know what I need then whats the point?  Easier to do it hear an look at more choices.

2x3i5x

Expert
                        « Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »
                        and wondering .... before going there, could you call ahead to the place that's an hour away from you and ask on of their guys there what you want to see if they got what you need? Then if they have it, you'd know exactly what you could be getting  before even setting foot out the door so that you can make some plans of what you want to do  :)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
                          that would be like saing call wal-mart, you have psu's?  Yes we have them over 60 differnt kinds is that all you wanted?  Yes that will be all.  I head down there an there isnt one that would meet my needs.  Also its still like whats crap an whats not.

2x3i5x

Expert
                          « Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
                          however, it would save you a trip if the store does not have what you need right? Better to make a quick all then to spend all that gas going all the way down there just to find out that it was a waste of a day wasn't it?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
                            exatly, these are name brand stores there sites will have mostly what they offer.  I dont see were we got any futher in the matter, I still am not sure what I need at all other then an ATX 20+4 pin psu thats 500 watt.  There are all these other things too I seen some that had 6 an what not so at this point I dont know.

2x3i5x

Expert
                            « Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
                            exatly, these are name brand stores there sites will have mostly what they offer.  I dont see were we got any futher in the matter, I still am not sure what I need at all other then an ATX 20+4 pin psu thats 500 watt.  There are all these other things too I seen some that had 6 an what not so at this point I dont know.

and wait a minute ... if that's a computer store you mention, you probably could still call them up and ask them about what you need, maybe the know something....  :P

But in any case, what do you have in your computer again?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »
                              I have asked the local tech people that I go to, we are not a well general area for much of anything, stop thinking like that.  Were a little town no bigger then say 2000 people not sure what to compare it too.  At any rate I asked back if they would an still nothing.  They offer quick replies an check there mail daily so I know that I wasnt over looked but rather side casted.  The Batman is in my icon list.

2x3i5x

Expert
                              « Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
                              sorry if I seem to have misunderstood something Squall, anyway good luck in your search of a good PSU  :)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
                                that still puts me in a disposition my specs are in my profile under batman, just stateing that things arent so easy. 

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
                                Unreal.

There are only 2 physical  sizes of Desktop PSU's...ATX and Mini ATX...
                                There are only 2 physical styles of PSU power connectors...20 and 24 Pin...

Everything else boils down to power requirements; specs; and how much you want to spend on quality...

Disclaimer: The above statement does NOT include the dinosaur earlier models that were for the sake of brevity too numerous to mention...

Carry On.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
                                  Well I'm confused cause newegg has this for 500 watt psu's

Type
                                  ATX2010320058 113142556 1131309959 (7)
                                  ATX / BTX2010320058 113142556 1131313788 (2)
                                  ATX12V2010320058 113142556 1131310111 (45)
                                  ATX12V / EPS12V2010320058 113142556 1131316572 (38)
                                  EPS12V2010320058 113142556 1131309958 (1)

Also, I just got shocked a while ago by a build that should of been fine, with this machine I dont want any chances since its going to be like the main machine of use.

patio

• Genius
                                  • Maud' Dib
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
                                  Those #'s mean nothing in regards to your query...
                                  Post the newegg links.

Again...what size ?
                                  ATX or mini ATX ?
                                  What wattage ? ?
                                  20 +4 pin design or 24 pin design ? ?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
                                    If that had been true it would only show me two kinds.  ATX, 500 watt at best.  Whats the difference?  It just needs to be 20 + 4.  http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies Left in the nav bar were it says type.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                      • Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                    • Certifications: List
                                    « Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
                                    2 pages. I can summarize:

"do this"

"Don't wanna"

"do this"

"to much effort"

"do this"

"Don't think it'll work"

honestly, there are more types of bus connectors then power supply form factors; would you get all in a puff because you don't think a computer store has, say, AGP cards?

No; for the most part they all do.

If that had been true it would only show me two kinds.  ATX, 500 watt at best.  Whats the difference?  It just needs to be 20 + 4.  http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies Left in the nav bar were it says type.

Yes, of course. Patio must have no idea what he's talking about. Not like he has any experience or anything.  ::)
                                    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
                                      Did you check that page?  I have been looking at other area's but places like newegg an tiger will have more selection.