Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU Question  (Read 7220 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

PSU Question
    « on: June 21, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
    Was wondering if this was an okay psu.  It meets what I need it for but its fairly cheap an wonder if it was okay to get Logisys 550W 20+4-pin ATX PSU w/SATA  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS550A-BK&cat=PWR 

Not that I mind just wondered if these were okay or not.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PSU Question
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
    Never scrimp on PSU's...you should expect to pay 40 to 50 Bucks for a decent one and upwards of that for something bullet proof...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jimbo8098

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
      i aggree with patio , most pc problems can apparently be traced back to a bad PSU

have a look at the OCZ StealthXStream 600W

Thats what they have on the PC gamer magaznes test rig

That cost £62

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »
      My last 3 PSU's were OCZ's......rock solid ...zero issues.
      I now recommend them to my Customers...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
        I figured that a little bit but seemed like a good deal, I can look at them again but thats the one I liked best.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:56:51 AM »
          These were marked down just so you know.

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
            « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »
            The thing I keep coming back to with my own PSU searching is looking at the +12v amp rating.  When you've identified every other PC part you want, take a look at the power requirements of the biggest power draw (usually the GPU).  That will let you know what size PSU to get. If you can't find the amp spec for a PSU, I'd skip it.

Newegg has been having some great sales on top quality PSU's for months, especially in the 550-750W range. 

What you don't want to do is buy a PSU that turns out to be inadequate for three reasons.
            1. It may work but with a shortened life.
            2. It will pick an inopportune moment to die.
            3. When (not if) it dies, it is more likely to take another component(s) down with it.

Good luck!

2x3i5x

Expert
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »
            Like said already, I'd first look at the wattage rating to see what you're getting, then the 12V rail amp rating, then see what brand you have (is it name brand, a no name brand or a brand that's not good) and then maybe hop onto newegg for customer ratings.  ;D

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:31:07 PM »
              ah okay, I kind of know what you mean then.  At any rate not sure what I need here.  I just know that I need a basic atx 20+ 4 pin psu but there's like six an what not.  Going threw newegg.

2x3i5x

Expert
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
              also be sure your PSU you get fits into your case. Don't get one that' either won't fit into your case 'cuz it's too big or one that's smaller than case size and therefore a problem.
              « Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:07:22 PM by 2x3i5x »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
                I tried but couldnt find one there Type[ATX ],Maximum Power[501 - 600W ],Main Connector[20+4Pin ],  least I think not too sure.
                « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:37:10 PM by squall_01 »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
                  thought I lost this, I dont know were else to try here.

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
                  thought I lost this, I dont know were else to try here.

What do you mean?
                  Evil is an exact science.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »
                    ment that I had edited this an misplaced it in the mass.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    • Certifications: List
                    • Experience: Guru
                    « Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
                    What do you mean?

He just wants to bump his topic.