Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open most(almost all) web sites IE7, Fire fox, Windows Vista  (Read 3123 times)

tcpeters

Topic Starter

Rookie

I had a power out due to a thunderstorm and after my HP m8100n PC came back up I can't use the internet. My ISP checked my DSL modem and everthing is okay. My ISP is Pioneer (pldi.net). I can ping and return is okay with Pioneer, yahoo, google,ect. so I know I do have a connection. I can use mozilla firefox and search google and it will pull up the search page but won't go to any of the sites. The only sites that IE 7 will go to is pldi.net or hp.com and then the pages within are super slow. I use biblegateway.com allot and when I tried it, it took about ten minuets but it finally pulled it up and took another ten minutes to search a bible verse. I currently use AVG 8.5 free anti virus and spybot and windows defender for spyware/ad ware. I've scanned in safe mode and spybot found cooolwebsearch something? but couldn't remove and promted to run on next start up. After start up scan didn't find anything I think. I'm using windows vista home premium sp2 and I've tried turning off third party services, start up programs, resetting IE and nothing helps. My hp didn't come with a vista cd and I really don't want to reformat from recovery partition. Can any one help?
    Do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim

tcpeters

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Can't open most(almost all) web sites IE7, Fire fox, Windows Vista
      « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
      It turned out to be my ethernet card. Reinstalled the driver and I'm back on line.
      Problem resolved for the time being.