Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Artifacting?(overheating?)  (Read 2754 times)

Cadmus

Video Card Artifacting?(overheating?)
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:13:49 PM »
Ok, so not sure if artifacting is the proper term for this or not, but it seems to fit based on what I have read.

Hoping for some input with the following problem:
Lately when I am in 3d games for say 4+ hours, the screen starts to flicker with all sorts of colors, the pixels in the game seem to stretch across the entire screen, and the background starts to block like a checkers board in yellow.  When I play Mpegs, the screen almost looks like it has static similar to poor TV reception.  

Edit:  This is not limited to within games... the same can happen to the general desktop screen as well.  It just happens most of the time I am gaming.  NO recent changes made to the system, happens on all monitors.

I used to be able to shut the comp down for an hour or so and be ok, for about another 4 hours.  I assumed perhaps something was overheating, just not sure which part.

Now, it seems to happen immediately or after only a couple minutes.  I opened up the box and unplugged/replugged the vid card and it didn't seem the do anything.  I did notice the fan on the card seems to rotate rather freely, not sure if that is by design or if it is failing.  It does run, I did check that.

I have the following specs:
Asus A7V8X-X
AMD 2500 Barton
350W Generic
512 PC 2700 Corsair Value Ram
Ati 9800 Pro

The system had been running fine for about a year or so, until very recently.  Wondering if I can maybe just replace the vid card fan or the card itself, to stretch out the life of this rig.

Any input is appreciated, I will try to answer any questions if I have missed something as well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 12:44:49 PM by Cadmus »

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
    Re: Video Card Artifacting?(overheating?)
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »
    Did you try to uninstall then reinstall the video driver?...

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:19:12 PM »
    What are your system temperatures?

Cadmus

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:03:18 AM »
    Did you try to uninstall then reinstall the video driver?...

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

I had the omega drivers installed, removed those and installed the newest catalysts, as well as removing the side of my case and pointing a small house fan to help move air, and lowered hardware acceleration a notch, and one of those seemed to work.

Didn't have much time, so I plan on testing all these to find the culprit soon.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »
    You should not remove the system case door. Doing so may result in more dust intake than when the door is closed.
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:53:45 AM by Raptor »