Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd-rom help need PLEASE!  (Read 2733 times)

pcnerdwanbe

cd-rom help need PLEASE!
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
i have a hp pavilion x1983 i have tried 3 different drives and still can't get one to read, the drive will open it is seen in my computer, but when disk is in it i get flashing orange light.
thanks

tr3wth

Re: cd-rom help need PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:29:06 PM »
do you mean youv'e tried 3 diffrent cd's or three diffrent disk drives if you mean cd's then your drive is most likely gone bad and you wil need to replace it which is probably the case aonsidering the flashing light and all.

pcnerdwanbe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
3 diffrent drives i restart computer and get new hardware message the drive can be seen in device manager i can open the drive through my computer, but i will not read the disk all i get is flashing orange light.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
Few more questions and suggestions.

1. What version of Windows are you using?
2. Have you tried seeing if the drive can read from Safe mode?
3. Have you tried booting from a CD? Check CMOS setup and make sure the CD-ROM is the first bootable device and use a bootable CD such as the Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD and see if the computer is able to boot from it.
4. Finally, if you've tried all the above suggestions, I'm assuming your connecting a IDE/EIDE CD-ROM drive, if this is the case make sure the drive is jumped to master and try the drive on it's own cable with no other drives connected to it.

Safe mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Entering CMOS setup:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

pcnerdwanbe

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »
1. What version of Windows are you using?  XP home
2. Have you tried seeing if the drive can read from Safe mode? no
3. Have you tried booting from a CD? Check CMOS setup and make sure the CD-ROM is the first bootable device and use a bootable CD such as the Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD and see if the computer is able to boot from it. Yes
4. Finally, if you've tried all the above suggestions, I'm assuming your connecting a IDE/EIDE CD-ROM drive, if this is the case make sure the drive is jumped to master and try the drive on it's own cable with no other drives connected to it. tried all of this,
when i first did system restore everything worked fine then uninstalled a screen saver, then cd-rom would not work tried to up date driver did not work, did second system restore, still no read, tried more drives same thing, even switched cables and connectors off of power supply, this is driving me nuts,
Thanks

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »
If you're able to boot from the CD drive of course this means that everything hardware wise works fine, it's something with Windows. Of course this is stating the obvious, however it's a good first step for troubleshooting. I have encountered several issues with MBR and other related viruses causing CD-ROM drives to not work. Of course this was back in the Windows 95/98 days, so couldn't really imagine XP having this issue.

Since this happened after you installed a screen saver possibly other software what I'd first suggest since you're running XP is to do a system recovery back to a earlier version of XP (version before installing your screen saver). Information about doing this can be found at: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm

If this doesn't work in Windows Device Manager is the CD-ROM drive showing any conflicts (Exclamation marks / Question marks / or any listing of other devices)? If there are conflicts double-click on them and let us know what the error code is.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

pcnerdwanbe

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »
got it fixed thanks, i put it on the same cable as the hard drive. i tried that once but must not have had it pluged in all the way,
Thanks

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:30 PM »
got it fixed thanks, i put it on the same cable as the hard drive. i tried that once but must not have had it pluged in all the way,
Thanks
Glad to hear it's fixed and thanks for the follow up. :)
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »
Thanks

This will slow down your HDD's transfer rate...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "