Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?  (Read 11869 times)

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: If it isn't a bad motherboard or graphics card, what is the problem?
    « Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »
    Hello to all,
     I just replaced the power supply with a 430 watt Thermaltake, good news, bad news!
     Good news, the computer boots up
     Bad news, it does the same old thing as the old psu, computer, hard drives, everything in the case starts and beeps,etc, but the monitor satys in the sleep mode and no keyboard, mouse,etc., with the graphic card plugged into the new MoBo!!!

I need the big guns to answer this I think,
     Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
      Helloooo? Is this too hard to fix over the internet? Does anyone want more info from me about any other stuff on the computer? How do I find a reliable tech locally, I'm north of Orlando?
       RIch

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
        « Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »
        Well, it could be your monitors as well. Just mak e sure everything is plug in right, such as your RAM, Vid Card  ;)
        Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 04:07:22 AM »
        Sorry Rich, I'm mostly out of ideas.
        Do you have a monitor you can plug into the onboard video, on the motherboard?
        I'd try that.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »
          Thanks everyone. I'll take it to a local computer fixit shop and let you all know what happens. At this point, it would have been cheaper to give this desktop to my wife for the internet and just go buy a new desktop for the Photoshop stuff! I've seen desktops now for under $600 and really loaded, compared to this old clunker!!!
          Thanks again,
           Rich

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »
            Hello again,
             I took the desktop to Compusa on Monday, they had a free inspection special this weekend, and they fixed it. Not totally sure what they did, something like switching the primary graphics card adapter to AGP.

Anyway, the tech said the first guy who changed out the mother board in the first place should have know to do this.  Everything is working fine now and wanted to let ewveryone that helped know the out come. Thanks again for all the suggestions,
             Rich

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
            Looks like Rockerest was right on the money!
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Big Rich

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »
              Yepper, Rockerest be "da Man", if only I could have understood what he was saying, it would have saved a lot of time and $$$. Like I said before, I'm just a simple photographer. Thanks Rockerfest!
               Rich